Greek Defense Industry & Procurement/Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

of course

in this case, they will be using the same facilities to train commercial pilots ... that is where the $$$ are at

it's a very smart move

Comment

Seems like Greece has finally signed off on its decision to procure 4 Belharra frigates from france, along with all the weapons systems, as well as an intermediate solution of 2 LaFayette frigates from France. 2 of the 4 Belharras will be built in Greek shipyards which is a huge win for Greece and its domestic shipbuilding industry.

Comment

The question remains, if Turkey is convinced Greece will never fire a shot against a trespassing Turkish jet or frigate - Greece could have all the frigates and jets on earth and Turkey would still seek to drill in the Aegean and wake up the residents of Chios and Lesbos with low f-16 violating overflights.

Comment

The Greek defense minister said on 3 separate occasions Greece and Turkey almost went to war during Turkey's escapades with the Oruc Reiss.

I don't think Greece wants to start a war with Turkey and that's been made abundantly clear through its soft responses. A war between both countries would cause havoc and unknown consequences. Turkey knows Greece isn't a Syria, the Kurds, Armenia, Libya, etc. and that's why we didn't see Turkey go further with the shenanigans. I think that will change in the future though as Erdogan knows his power is tied to the expansion of Turkey so an expansion into the Aegean will be attempted. We can already see Turkey pulling the mask down on the Cyprus issue and proclaiming that the occupied part needs to be a separate country. Greece and Cyprus should have said, if you want a 2 state solution then the republic of Cyprus will join Greece which would further decimate Turkey's "rights" in the east med and aegean.

The 4 belharra's and 2 laFayette's paired with a squadron of rafales is a good start. The Greek defense minister has made it clear that Greece is looking to acquire 40 total rafales and supplement that with f35's down the line. We are seeing an arms race in the Aegean that is not getting the press it deserves and Germany's insistence on fueling Turkey.

I think Greece needs to look into making a huge deal with Israel about the acquisition of the iron dome systems for the islands.

The key going forward will be defense against the UAV and the acquisition of our own UAV's in large numbers. I know Greece is part of a few UAV projects, but the time is now to pick up the pace on UAV procurement/development/defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
            The question remains, if Turkey is convinced Greece will never fire a shot against a trespassing Turkish jet or frigate - Greece could have all the frigates and jets on earth and Turkey would still seek to drill in the Aegean and wake up the residents of Chios and Lesbos with low f-16 violating overflights.
            when i was in the greek army i was stationed in lesvos. during the ocalan debacle, greek f16's would chase turkish jets at 100m altitude

it was insane

also the turkish navy violations were very common

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xW-ODsVreQ

Video highlights an updated French proposal - 4 Belharra frigates, 3 built in Greece 1 in France.

Transfer of technology and future coordination on next gen frigates.

Upgrade of MEKO class ships for Greece.

Only thing missing here is the intermediate solution which some have rumored will include 2 Lafayette ships.

To me this is the best proposal for Greece to modernize its fleet and ensure decades of improvements and competitive ship building. The fact that Greece doesn't have a competitive homegrown ship building industry is absolutely embarrassing. I believe this French proposal will be very good for Greece's homegrown industry and can be a catalyst for growth in that sector.

Ultimately, we need to be able to project power not just in the Aegean but also in the east med and particularly Cyprus. Both the Belharra frigates and Rafaels would give Greece a lot of range in its attack/defense. A key piece to this is the further acquisition of the f35.

Given the proximity of Greece and Turkey, we need a big leg up with stealth. This is even more true for Cyprus. All we can hope for is we swiftly address the needs of the armed forces.
              Last edited by Filikieteria1821; 03-01-2021, 09:07 PM.

Comment

EU forcing Greece to by defense supplies from Turkey.

https://www.sportime.gr/ellinotourki...o-tin-tourkia/

Comment

Working...
                X