Euro 2020 Qualifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro 2020 Qualifying

Germany could be in pot 2. So we could run the risk of landing a group with two powerhouses. And if one of the seeded teams is a UNL finalist, we will be in a group with 5 teams, meaning no opponents like San Marino to pick on.

It's official. Germany is a pot 2 team. Here are the drawing pots:

Pot UNL: England, Portugal, Switzerland, Netherlands
    Pot 1: Belgium, Croatia, France, Italy, Poland, Spain
    Pot 2: Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Russia, Sweden, Ukraine, Wales
    Pot 3: Bulgaria, Finland, Israel, Northern Ireland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Turkey
    Pot 4: Albania, Cyprus, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Montenegro, Romania, Slovenia
    Pot 5: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova
    Pot 6: Andorra, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Malta, San Marino

Had Greece finished first in the group, we'd be in pot 3. And the next time we qualified for the euros in 2024, we could potentially go up to pot 2 if we were to win our group in 2021. That won't happen now. We can thank Skibbe, Tzavellas, Tziolis, and the EPO for that failure.

As for worst case scenario:
    France
    Germany
    Slovakia/Scotland
    Greece
    Kazakhstan (mostly because of the travel)
    Latvia (again, travel)

Best case:
    Switzerland (UNL winner means 5-team group)
    Czech Republic
    Israel
    Greece
    Gibraltar

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
      It's official. Germany is a pot 2 team. Here are the drawing pots:

Pot UNL: England, Portugal, Switzerland, Netherlands
      Pot 1: Belgium, Croatia, France, Italy, Poland, Spain
      Pot 2: Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Russia, Sweden, Ukraine, Wales
      Pot 3: Bulgaria, Finland, Israel, Northern Ireland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Turkey
      Pot 4: Albania, Cyprus, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Montenegro, Romania, Slovenia
      Pot 5: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova
      Pot 6: Andorra, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Malta, San Marino

Had Greece finished first in the group, we'd be in pot 3. And the next time we qualified for the euros in 2024, we could potentially go up to pot 2 if we were to win our group in 2021. That won't happen now. We can thank Skibbe, Tzavellas, Tziolis, and the EPO for that failure.

As for worst case scenario:
      France
      Germany
      Slovakia/Scotland
      Greece
      Kazakhstan (mostly because of the travel)
      Latvia (again, travel)

Best case:
      Switzerland (UNL winner means 5-team group)
      Czech Republic
      Israel
      Greece
      Gibraltar
      Best case scenario I can see us fighting for last place with Gibraltar.

Comment

If we keep playing a midfield with Samaris and Bouchalakis, and if we don't have proper defense-men on the flanks, then yes. If we can remedy that and so long as we avoid Germany, then I think we stand a chance of finishing second.

Comment

Oh, and so long as we don't have wingers like Bakasetas, then we should be able to score a couple against Gibraltar.

Comment

Don G. Who would you like to see in the middle?

For me, this who out of form central player on the wing with no speed and poor passing is killing this ethniki.

I watched highlights of the Costa Rica match last night... man... worlds appart. Lazaros was a beast on the wing.

As it stands, we will be happy to beat pot 5 & 6 teams. We haven’t beaten a great team in ages and last big official win was Romania
            Last edited by Amorgos; 11-21-2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Fortounis, or a creative option in a relatively free role, with two terriers behind him in the form of Zeca and Kourbelis (or Galanopoulos). We need a pretty consistent trio so we can develop a core and build from there.

The big question for me now is do we drop Mitroglou and go strikerless? Maybe we bring the big man on late if we're desperate for a goal. I think it would be a good idea to play Fetfatzidis or Donis up top generally. Between Fetfatzidis/Donis and Fortounis, we can finesse the ball forward, and at the same time we can press harder. Mitroglou doesn't have the energy to press.

I feel like we would need to drop either Mitroglou or Fortounis to accommodate the idea of playing Fetfatzidis.
              Last edited by Don Giovanni; 11-23-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

It appears the Euros have been put off now until 2021.

Comment

And it will still go by the name EURO 2020.

Comment

Probably too late for them to rebrand. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                    X