X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Melbourne Hellas

Racism against Greeks?

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/bias...ZFd8Mw4vhf4shk

I am a life long south melbourne fan...my father has supported the club since 1960...
    I hardly missed a home game in the old NSL days 1977-2004.

Soccer in Australia is dominated by 'ethnics' as they like to call us...the vast majority of clubs in the country have ethnic roots...
    mainly Greek, Italian and the former Yugoslavia...(but not limited to these)...my son currently players for a Maltese club that has been around for 70 years...

The old NSL was dominated by ethnic clubs even though in its final year of the NSL 8 of the 13 clubs were non ethnic.

When the ALeague was introduced (a closed franchise plastic league) one of its purposes was to be 'inclusive' and break down the ethnic silos ....

South Melbourne was far and away the most successful club by the time the NSL folded..Frankly the rest of the ethnic clubs at the time were on life support......interest was being lost ...the FA needed to rejuvenate the sport..
    South were unfortunately caught up in the mess of what was old football..

When the ALeague teams were announced South were left out..with new franchises arising from thin air...
    ever since south has played in the second tier...NPL/VPL....along with all other ethnic clubs..
    In fact every club in the Victorian NPL is ethnic based.... each state now has an NPL ..and 'state leagues' under that..
    the majority of which are ethnic based clubs (in Melbourne at least)...

Whenever the ALeague has sought expansion South has applied but been knocked back on purely racist grounds..On the premise that South are a mono ethnic club and will damage the plastic franchise brand...
    New teams are set to be announced soon ...South made the shortlist of 12...then 10..then 8...we are now down to SIX...
    two will be announced this week...
    The word is that South has clearly the best application...
    South Has a 50 year lease on a Stadium...training venue, junior teams (the best junior program in Australia)..women's and girls teams..
    Is supposedly cashed up.....
    the other bids are merely 'concepts in draft mode'.....

the question is now....'Is Australian football ready to discard it's racist policy"? For the first time in 15 years people have finally got the courage to call it for what it is....Utter racial discrimination...

for 15 years they danced around 'old football' vs 'new football'...all politically careful terminology hiding the racist undertone...

Comment

First thing South must do is put back the 'Hellas' in the name the minute they are accepted.

Comment

Great article. It’s all plastic here in Oz. My sources tell me South’s will be rejected again and that a Western Melbourne team could get the licence instead

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
          First thing South must do is put back the 'Hellas' in the name the minute they are accepted.
          They have not used the name hellas officially in 20 years.....

Comment

Originally posted by RED SHERIFF View Post

They have not used the name hellas officially in 20 years.....
            Indeed. But having the name forcibly removed is something out of a WW2 era dictatorship. Putting it back would be key imo. In a modern multicultural society, you can't what happened to SBH.

Comment

Wouldn’t work Reaper. Not today. Souths would be the most hated team in the comp and targeting only Greeks now is not the way to go in a national top tier competition. It’s not like what it was 20 plus years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post

Indeed. But having the name forcibly removed is something out of a WW2 era dictatorship. Putting it back would be key imo. In a modern multicultural society, you can't what happened to SBH.
                Australia is a very two faced racist country.....there is overt and subtle racism everyday..
                For a multicultural society...it struggles with that concept..

the white Anglo trash here will NEVER evolve...

Comment

In case you havent seen it - interview with Con Boutsianis

https://www.agonasport.com/agonaspor...-hellas-legend

Comment

Working...
                  X