Arsenal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsenal

They just signed Pepe of Lille. He's in London undergoing a medical. He's an excellent signing.

He has very good figures.

Wonder if Arsenal will be able to ditch their crappy Albanians (Xhaka and Mustafi). So far no offers and fans want them both out.

Comment

Lille is getting 80 million for Pepe, but only 20 million up front. Arsenal's budget this summer was very limited, so this is a very impressive signing.

Xhaka is out of form because he's still returning from injury. Arsenal do need to sign another defender. Koscielny is wantaway and Mustafi is too much of a liability.

Comment

They’ve just signed David Luiz. What does this mean for Sokratis and Mavropanos??

Comment

Sokratis will be fine, Mavro needs to go on loan ASAP

Comment

Sokratis' workload just doubled lol, but yes Mavropanos will need to go on loan. He'll probably end up in Greece with PAO.

Comment

Another bad loss for Arsenal. Does anyone think picking Xhaka and Willock over Torreira and Carballos is a mistake?

Comment

Only Aubameyang looks really threatening every game. Arsenal have a tendency to flatline against defenses that dig in like this. Where's Ozil when you need him? So much for being the new Bergkamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
                  Another bad loss for Arsenal. Does anyone think picking Xhaka and Willock over Torreira and Carballos is a mistake?
                  I personally like Torreira - the guy is a little bulldog - Xhaka if he had a better head and discipline could have been an exceptional player - he can shoot from range , he can pass when he doesnt see the red mist he can tackle .

Don Giovanni I think Lacazzette also looks dangerous - they should be playing them together - when I have seen them play up front - they have great chemistry , however you are right Aubmeyang is their most dangerous player

As for Ozil he is a very polarizing player - it just depends on the team you have - the kind of players you have , their mentality and how strong or respected the manager is. What I mean is that with Ozil in your team you need to have team mates who appreciate what he offers and accept that he will not be sprinting to close down every defender - or he will drift into a position that will give him space once his team wins the ball back - and from there he can do damage . Meaning that others have to do some of his work - but are happy to do so because they feel what he contributes far outweighs what he doesnt. Thats the player he is - some people call him a luxury player the problem arises when the players dont think highly enough of him to do that - or even if the coach does , he cant get the players to buy into it. It seems though that Wenger couldnt get the players to buy into it - and Ozil could not turn into a box to box midfielder or do the work asked of him. Ozil reminds me of Tsiartas in so many ways who once famously said and I'm paraphrasing -" Why run when you can get the ball to do the running for you " or something to that effect

Comment

There was a time he could make assists better than anyone else in the business. Agreed Ozil would have to play in a free role, but Ozil's heart isn't in it anymore. He can't find inspiration. It's like watching a great author suffering from writer's block. If he wasn't on the money he was on, it wouldn't be as big a problem, but for the amount he's paid there's no excuses for him. If he had any shame, he would end his contract with Arsenal and move to Turkey already.

Comment

Hes had enough of the bullshit in England i think - to be fair his first or second season in England was exceptional - what let him down was Arsenals transfer policy - where they refused to buy hard working or industrious midfielders rather a whole bunch or attackers and tricksters meaning - Wenger at the time was asking more and more from him - which led to the downward spiral . At Bayern - his first season at Madrid and for Germany though the guy was a beast

Comment

Sokratis got on the score sheet and so did Luiz. It looks like Arsenal have really spent time working on their set-piece routines and it's paying dividends. Sokratis had another goal late on, which would have won the game, but it was ruled out by VAR. They said it was for a foul on Milivojevic. It could just as easily have gone the other way as a foul for a shove Milivojevic put on Chambers right before. I think it should have stood as a goal.

Arsenal have only themselves to blame again though. Another draw, another two-goal lead blown. Arsenal are still lacking the steel needed to secure results. Chambers couldn't play Zaha offside and then clumsily tackled him inside the area. Zaha is a very talented player who was tipped to sign for Arsenal this past summer, but his asking price proved too much. His pace and talent was all on show on that run of play. Chambers was no match for Zaha, but he needed to be smarter on the play and simply have let Zaha past him at that point.

Once that goal was scored, the complexion of the game changed and suddenly things began to go Palace's way. Arsenal have a lot of young players and this is the issue. It's not just the midfield that struggles. The offense too has trouble holding the ball up.

Comment

He played very well against Wolves. On the goal, Arsenal were exploited through the middle again. Guendouzi did wonderfully well, but Ceballos is still inexperienced and Moutinho was all class. Jimenez intelligently played between the defenders and Sokratis left it to Chambers to mark him, but Chambers allowed Jimenez to get goal side of him. Chambers needed to be physically more imposing and he wasn't. Sokratis was in a position to react and have been more imposing himself perhaps, but it's hard to say and I'd be splitting hairs if I were to fault him for the goal.

Later on it took loads of experience and some delicate defending to deny Diogo Jota on a great run. Classy stuff from Sokratis there.

The big problem remain. Wolves had 24 shots! Arsenal had 10. Reading that, it's clear that Arsenal were lucky to get a result. And I think Arsenal are lucky to have Luiz, who played a big role in the goal, and Sokratis who did great job defensively. Leno too is a fantastic keeper.

Comment

I think Xhaka is out in the winter. He's a good player, but he just doesn't seem to fit into Arsenals' hari-kari approach. Emery continues to have the team approach games in a manner I can only describe as tactically naive. His side lacks balance. Too many young players who lack experience. Among them, Pepe who still needed time in France to mature. I thought Emery would temper Arsenal's style by now, but Emery is unable to find the right balance, which means he could be on the way out too if things continue like this. Mourinho is said to be waiting in the wings.

If Arsenal wants to continue playing like this, then they need a Cesc or Iniesta type player who can wriggle out of trouble and marshal attacks. Ozil never developed into that kind of player, despite possessing some of the attributes to do so. He's not someone to command the middle of the park, but he can command the attacking third. Emery will need to develop Ceballos into such a player. This to me explains why he took Xhaka's place in the draw to Wolves, but it was Ceballos who lost Moutinho on the goal, the gulf in experience between the two was the difference maker.

Mustafi is another who I can't see staying at the club. He's quick and athletic, but seems to struggle with concentration. He'll have to go too.

I think Sokratis might see out his contract, but I don't think it will be renewed. He might get sold in the summer while Arsenal can still make a profit off him. It would not surprise me if he were to return to Italy, but I would be disappointed if he left for Asia or the US, which would be a mistake.

Comment

They tried to remove Mustafi all summer. He refused to leave and Arsenal being the way they are, just sat and took it.
                              Xhaka for me, has limitations. I think Arsenal could do far better for the money.

Mavropanos looks on his way out too.

Ozil I suspect will go to turkey if someone is willing to pay his wages.

Comment

Working...
                              X