Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sokratis is undoubtedly a leader. He's vocal, plays his heart out, and rarely makes a misstep. He's a model player and someone who sets the standard for everyone else. And he's always looking to improve or get better. After the 1-1 draw to Belgium when Lukaku had him beat for strength to tie things up, it seemed apparent to him that he would need to bulk up for the EPL, where he would once again be matched up against Lukaku. In Arsenal's recent win over United, Sokratis had no problems taking Lukaku on. Hopefully Sokratis gets others, Fortounis in particular, to follow his example.

I hope God tells Anastasiadis to adopt three men at the back and to have players who will chase and hustle almost everywhere else on the pitch. That's the key for Greece. Chances will come because of the pressure we exert. The problem is having a Samaris sitting back and meekly passing the ball. That's where we will run into problems. He can't control games. He can't do what Karagounis did to Costa Rica. There was a time where he could counter and he could bring energy and pace to a game to help set the sort of tone he did against Ivory Coast, when he scored. That was five years ago, when he had something to offer that was more proactive, but not now.

When we play an opponent who sit back and park the bus, like Liechtenstein basically, we're going to need a high line, but this time we'll need someone with a bit more quality on the ball in the middle of the park. I'd like to see Mantalos start for the Liechtenstein match with Zeca coming on late to close out a win. I can live with Samaris in the eleven, but I'd still prefer him at CB.

As far as creativity goes, there isn't a whole lot to work with here. Our best bet is Donis winning a set-piece in a dangerous area or forcing a corner, Fortounis delivering the set-piece, and Sokratis or Mitroglou getting on the end of it.

It would have been nice to have had a Fetfatzidis to throw in the mix towards the last 20 minutes. His dribbling ability is second to none in Greece. He can unsettle teams, but to do that he needs to get back into the sort of form and shape he had before his car accident. Donis strikes me as something of a threat. He can draw defenders, unsettle them with his pace and skill to a certain extent; however, he's not a great goal threat. Masouras strikes me as a back-up to Donis and he's more of a goal threat. He's still raw and we can't really place too many expectations on him. I'm not expecting great things from him, but if he can work his tail off and play with real determination, he might make something of himself. Mantalos no longer adds any flavor to matches, but he's got more quality on the ball than Bouchalakis or Zeca. Mitroglou is off form and low on confidence, he's a ghost of his former self. Bakasetas, we can forget about him. He's just not good enough. Tachtsidis is much like Donis, he has quality on the ball, but he's lacking end product. I think if he's given more free rein in an ACM role, he could realize more of his potential. I'd be willing to drop Mitroglou (or even Fortounis) to accommodate that.

Comment

Seems I am not the only one who realises Fetfa was never the same since that horrific car crash ^^

So we are all agreed? We put Mantalos as a CM and stop pretending he is some sort of international quality false 10? I think you are right - why not put him next to Zeca and rebrand him as a CM? Let's face it, it is not like we have any hard-nosed CMs that deserve the spot anyways.

................................Vlach............. ................

Bakakis...........Siovas......Sokratis...........K outris

....................Zeca...............Mantalos... ........

Masouras............Fortounis....................D onis

.................................Koulouris........ .............

Comment

Mantalos is injured and won’t be available... keen to see who replaces him

Comment

I remember watching a program on total football and Giorgos Donis was on it and he said that he wouldn’t Mantalos as CM/CDM because he can’t mark. In 4-3-3 he would play him central. I believe Donis would be a great coach for us in the national team.

That accident that Fetfatzidis had like 4 years ago, wasn’t he with Tachtsidis aswell? I remember there others in that same car.

If Mantalos is injured a good replacement would either be Fetfatzidis or Bouzoukis.

Comment

But that's also why we I'm opposed to playing the attacking wingers: they can't track back/mark the opposing wing-backs. Masouras and Donis aren't suited to do that. None of our wide players are effective in that respect.

Comment

Mitroglou out for 2 weeks. Wonder who will be called up to replace him?

Comment

New call up by the coach:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantelis_Hatzidiakos

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                  He’s a good player. Don’t know if he will be involved though...

Comment

Toro, Sok, Samaris and Manolas all dropped. Very happy about this except for Manolas.

Toro - finished.
                    Samaris - 1 decent game in 15 on average.
                    Sok - massively overrated imo and saved Skibbe.

Manolas I would have kept.

Comment

Also Zeca and Mitroglou.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/podos.../ellas/4013162

Σύμφωνα με τις πληροφορίες μας, στο προσκλητήριο του ομοσπονδιακού προπονητή δεν θα βρίσκονται τα ονόματα των δύο αρχηγών Βασίλη Τοροσίδη και Σωκράτη Παπασταθόπουλου, ενώ εκτός αναμένεται να μείνουν και οι: Κώστας Μανωλάς, Ανδρεάς Σάμαρης, Κάρλος Ζέκα και Κώστας Μήτρογλου. Ακόμα δεν είναι ξεκάθαρο εάν οι παραπάνω παίκτες θα τεθούν προσωρινά εκτός Εθνικής ομάδας ή… μόνιμα.

Comment

Wow didn’t expect that one...

I would’ve kept both Manolas and Sokratis. I guess now that Sokratis has hit 31 it’s time to look to the future. Happy that Samaris and Torosidis are dropped. Very surprising that Manolas got dropped.

Comment

Fonte still plays for Portugal and he's 35! I think Van't Schip is the one who will be finished after this.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                            If you read further down that article it says Bakasetas and Donis could get called up. I hope Bakasetas doesn’t get called, he hasn’t had 1 decent game yet for Greece...

Comment

Whatever happens, refreshing not to see those guys there. I think we have some of the best CBs in the world - as long as we are not playing LBs as CBs..

The rest I wont miss. Good on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                                Fonte still plays for Portugal and he's 35! I think Van't Schip is the one who will be finished after this.
                                It's not about age. It's about wanting to achieve something. I guess he is not seeing this determination from sokratis. If i remember correctly rehhagel did the same with a few big names when he took over starting with Georgatos.

Comment

Working...
                                X