Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because of the way the Champions League used to be structured with it's two-phase group stages, one season in those days was the equivalent of two seasons now. So they got double the experience and twice as quickly. Karagounis got 12-14 UCL games per season, not including the qualifiers. For players like him to get that opportunity to play against Juventus, Manchester United, Arsenal, Real Madrid, and Barcelona, and with a strong Panathinaikos too that actually stood a chance of upsetting the odds, while learning up close from the likes of Paulo Sousa, it really made him as a player. And in those days, we had at least two teams in the UCL. Our players today don't get those kind of opportunities unless they play at OSFP or if they go abroad to a club good enough to compete at that level.

The big stars of the 2007 and 2012 u19 generations were Ninis and Katidis. Both should have become important players for the men's team given the trajectory they were on.

In Ninis case, he proved too small, too brittle, and too slow. He failed to adapt to the Pirlo role and lacked the pace to play on the wing. Arguably, after he tore his ACL, he lost a step and I think suffered mentally. He couldn't dribble at players with the same ease. Before he could glide past players, but after he really struggled to beat his man. He also made a number of career choices, each worst than the one before.

It's strange to see Stafylidis as the captain for Greece and it's even stranger to think Katidis could have been captaining Greece right now instead. That may or may not have been so, but we don't know now because of how the EPO and the commies set about destroying his career after he made a stupid mistake with that fascist/roman salute. The Katidis I saw knew how to rise to the occasion. Of all the players who were coming through, he was the best representation we had of that dogged, determined style of play that marked players like Salpingidis, Giannakopoulos and Karagounis (or going back further, players like Domazos). A very hard working player who put everything on the line. Sort of like what we see from Mantalos now for Greece.

These are two players who could very well have filled in that hole left in the team by Katsouranis and Karagounis. There were other players too; Lazaros and Kone, Tachtsidis and Samaras, Tziolis and Tzavellas, etc. A failure to adequately replace Karagounis and Katsouranis was a major reason for our failures in 2016 and that failure led to the failure in 2018. As for our failures to qualify for Euro 2020, that comes down to Sokratis and Manolas not willing to put up with Anastasiadis. They really should have just sucked it up. At the same time, Anastasiadis himself is not without blame. It's not that he's just a dinosaur of a coach, he had no sense of how monumental a job he had leading Greece. To him, it was like leading a Super league team. He just didn't get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kojak View Post
      Lets not forget the previous generation were also getting regular exposure to European cup football.
      Good point

Don - golden post my friend, your bang on with every point there.
      Last edited by Amorgos; 05-21-2020, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Great point by everyone...

I think Manolas and Sokratis thought they were bigger than the team and looked down on everyone else. That’s why Sokratis looked cut whenever he was interviewed. We had too many big egos in that 2016 team. Manolas, Sokratis, Holebas, Mitroglou, Maniatis, Tzavellas, Kone, Lazaros and even Ninis. I never thought Tziolis and Tzavellas were national team material to begin with. Also Katsouranis and the end of his career. The lack of real leadership hurt us too. We just weren’t a team.

Now we have players with something to prove, hungry players. Also a coach with real vision. Hopefully JVS goes by his word by implementing the style of football he wants with the u17s all the way through to the u21s. Most of our national team players have little to no champions league experience. Players like Giannoulis, Tsimikas, Hatzidiakos, Galanopoulos have had only had a little taste taste of European football.

Comment

• the youngsters need to leave, what are the remnants of a so-called league is pathetic. from pitches to trainers to facilities. mix in unprofessional attitudes and we are now 14-15-16 in europe. unheard of 25 years ago. everyone moved on, we stood still - despite all the money EPO received. the clubs were already diseased and EPO decided not to lead from the front.

the biggest disappointment in recent times was the greek tradition of going from strength to weakness, instead of strength to strength. the heroes of the 2014 WC all decided that they could be original and develop their own personal reason for regressing as professional footballers.

i'm not as positive, but i do believe greek football has cratered and can't get worse, only better.

Comment

• Interesting read once again... This time it talks about the direction and plan for the national team and the influence Fernando Santos had back when he was coach. Also talks about plan Qatar and how JVS, staff and technical directors are trying to implement one football philosophy for all the national teams from the u15s to the first team.

https://hellasfooty.blogspot.com/202...-plan.html?m=1

Comment

• ^ It's a great read

For those who remember the Ethniki in the mid 90's this covers our Euro 96 campaign

http://hellasfooty.blogspot.com/2020...ng-part-1.html

Comment

• Siovas booted out the NT for undermining VS.

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ella...s.5754806.html

Correct decision by VS imo.

Whatever he is building, shit or good, you can't have such a lack of respect for your work in the ranks. Siovas wanted the right to bitch - something very Greek imo. He got his bitch in, but is out the squad now. Fair price imo. I am sure he wont mind the price either.

Comment

• It looks to me like van't Schip is dropping a player they (the EPO and him) always intended to drop sooner rather than later, but in saying that they are letting him go under circumstances that may leave us very vulnerable at the back. It's also a move meant to show he isn't afraid to use his authority, but it will impress upon other teams he hopes to coach one day more than anything.

As for the comments, Siovas stated the obvious. Manolas is the biggest name in Greek football. Svarnas lacks experience and has to improve still. Those are facts. Siovas' crime? That he in practice offered van't Schip the perfect chance to put away the hard feelings with Manolas; instead, however, van't Schip hardened them some more.

I don't know how serious van't Schip is about coaching Greece. My impression is he may leave for the Netherlands if the opportunity is afford to him and that may be given as soon as the Nations League is finished.

Comment

• I came across this on YouTube. Whoever you are, keep it up. Good commentary and analysis.

Comment

• I think Van’t Schip made the right decision. But at the same time I think he is sabotaging the team. If he’s thinking of putting Stafylidis as the long term replacement we won’t get far.

This is what Sokratis said on his social media...

“In short no one’s bigger than the team & that the people making the decisions will be judged on the decisions they make.
                      The reason he’s not in the team is partially his choice & what happened in the past was for the best interests of the team & he’d do it again”.

I believe Sokratis and Manolas did what they done for the better of the team. They seem to understand what Reaper has been saying all these years in regards to EPO getting involved in selections.

Siovas tried to offer some sort of peace offering between EPO/Van’t Schip and Sokratis and Manolas. It backfired and he broke the rules. He is now out of the team and most likely forever. I do seriously hope Van’t Schip picks the right option to replace Siovas and I hope it’s not Stafylidis.

I honestly do think Sokratis with what he has said in the past was trying create a better future for the national team. Also we could also in a few years thank him and Manolas for doing what they did and created some sort of positive change with the team. I truly believe national team selections should be based on pick the very best we have to offer. Talent/Skill, attitude and passion should be taken into account. Not selling caps or behind the scenes politics.

Comment

• Our 3rd best CB also banned from the team now... I dunno, I have mixed feelings about these bans now but I see what JVS is doing and it does makes sense however I still feel and wonder if he spoke with Siovas at all personally to go over this rather than ban like this.

CB position even thinner in options now, Svarnas and Stafylidis not the answers

Comment

• He dropped Vlachodimos too for Dioudis don't forget. By the end of the Nations League, we'll get a better picture of what he's doing and right now all we can do is respect much of the good work he has done in terms of getting results and playing better football. Obviously, I would like for our best players to still feature for Greece. We need all the quality we can muster if we are to stand any chance against better teams.

Comment

• I am pretty sure if Manolis calls VS and asks to meet him, apologises and promises to fall in line because the NT means the earth to him, VS would take him back. Problem is the egos. Even now Sokratis's comments on the matter are ego laiden. The door is always open.

I watched the whole VS interview as it was broadcast on Total Football btw. VS made clear all the players know they can speak to him any time, about anything. They have also each been told to show respect and to never undermine him to the media. Sovias was a lunatic to do what he did all things considered, but like Sokratis, I doubt he has any regrets.

I am still not convinced by VS over his selections, but on this matter I back him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                              I watched the whole VS interview as it was broadcast on Total Football btw. VS made clear all the players know they can speak to him any time, about anything. They have also each been told to show respect and to never undermine him to the media.
                              Wasn't aware of this, FairPlay to JVS then

Comment

• Siovas' comments was not a violation of trust. He said obvious things that ought to have been said.

Manolas will not call van't Schip, not after his friend Siovas stuck his neck out for him and got fucked over for it. It's over for Manolas, that's what this reads.

What van't Schip has done is absurd. Siovas saved this team's ass in the past two games. Can anyone imagine Stafylidis, having gone 9 months without a minute of game time, starting against Slovenia alongside the debutante Svarnas? Can anyone imagine Stafylidis much less scoring against Kosovo like Siovas did? The fact he injured himself wasn't even a great shock.

Sokratis isn't an egotist. He didn't go on a tirade blaming everyone but himself. To the contrary, he apologized to everyone in Greece, blaming himself as much as anybody, while taking responsibility for the poor showings. He manned up, which is more than I can say of anyone at the EPO or Anastasiadis, who didn't even have the humility to resign initially. As for the appropriateness of those comments, he's a footballer, not a speech writer. He spoke from the heart. And in my view, the EPO should have made an effort to listen more to the players instead of humoring them. Maybe that way Sokratis doesn't have to talk to the media to get their proper attention. The few times Grammenos momentarily did go to see the team, all he did was give them a quick hello... with added greetings from Savvidis.

With respect to van't Schip, his hiring seemed to have signaled that the EPO found a cheap option to tide us over for a couple of years while we hit the restart button with a new generation of players. I think that much has become very obvious. I commend the man for the work he has done for the better part, but there's no point pretending anymore he's here to get us to the 2022 World Cup.

Not for nothing, van't Schip is more than capable of coaching a bigger and better team. If he handed his resignation in tomorrow, he would leave with his reputation enhanced and I don't think there's much the EPO can do either. But this Project Qatar talk, pie in the sky stuff. We're building a team for 2028 and van't Schip won't be here for that long, let alone 2022. I sincerely think he will jump ship when the opportunity is given to him because greener pastures do await him.
                                Last edited by Don Giovanni; 09-21-2020, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X