This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the gazetta article in question:

ΕΠΟ: Ψάχνει προπονητή για την Εθνική και στο εξωτερικό, εξελίξεις με το τεχνικό επιτελείο και τον Σωκράτη

Η διοίκηση της ΕΠΟ σκέφτεται ακόμα και να προχωρήσει στην αποδέσμευση όλων των μελών του τεχνικού επιτελείου αλλά και του Μπασινά και ψάχνει προπονητή και στο εξωτερικό. Εξελίξεις και με τον Σωκράτη.

Δεν φαίνεται πως έχει αλλάξει τίποτα σε σχέση με την επικείμενη επισημοποίηση της αποχώρησης του Αναστασιάδη από τον πάγκο της Εθνικής. Πλην όμως είναι σοβαρό το ενδεχόμενο να φύγουν μαζί του και οι άμεσοι συνεργάτες του αλλά και ο Μπασινάς.

Επίσης σχετικά με τον Σωκράτη Παπασταθόπουλο μπορεί να προκύψουν εξελίξεις. Εξελίξεις που θα έχουν να κάνουν με την μη κλήση του για προσεχή ματς της Ελλάδας με την ελληνική Ομοσπονδία να βγάζει ένα κλίμα πως κανένας δεν είναι πάνω από την διοίκηση και ότι θα γίνουν αυτά που πρέπει.
    I find it rich that an organization--in which three of its last four presidents have been found guilty of running a money laundering scam--should be in any position to lecture the captain of the team for supposedly putting his own interests ahead of what's best for the team.

Let's make it clear that Sokratis bleeds blue and white. And not for a minute should it be believed that Sokratis threatened the ultimatum that Anastasiadis be fired or that he, Sokratis, would walk off the team. Perhaps Manolas may have spoken rashly, but Sokratis would have done no such thing. Rather, he had demanded the EPO perform their duties to the same level of expectation that is held of himself or anyone else. He spoke with candor and honesty after a defeat that has dealt Greece a major blow to the team's qualification prospects. Whether one agrees with the very public manner in which he made his statements or not, he rightly demanded that changes be made. And fault lies with Grammenos for having avoided the players at the team hotel, which would have given them a chance to interact with him about their concerns, and also in Grammeno's declaration before the game that Anastasiadis would be guaranteed his job, regardless of the result against Armenia. Far from Sokratis putting himself above the team, he acted as a captain, speaking for the team at a time when the president was clearly not involved enough in discussing with the players the glaring issues they were having with the coach. Grammenos and the EPO have shown too little care and interest in the national side. They have to do a better job. This is a big chunk of the problem and this is why Sokratis rightly spoke out.

Also, I think it is painfully obvious that there is a problem with the NT primarily due to the influence held by AEK and PAOK, and to a certain extent OSFP and even PAO. This is why the likes of Grammenos even hold a job. I believe these clubs have done incredible harm to the NT and the Greek league itself. Savvidis and Melissanidis in particular have to stop acting like babies and act in the best interest of the NT, as well as the league. For years their selfish interests has torn Greek football apart. I think Alafouzos' selfish interest has cost his own club more than anything. PAO, as a result, has lost a lot of their former influence over the National teams beyond the youth levels. OSFP have not helped matters either, especially as it relates to Greece's current predicament, having to play at the OAKA instead of the Karaiskakis. But make no mistake, the manner in which clubs in Greece are run, having put their own self-interests above those of the NT, is what has cost Greek football the most. At a certain point these clubs have to work together for the broader sake of Greece. If anyone is acting above the interest of the Greek NT, then it is not Sokratis, but rather it is AEK, PAOK and to a lesser degree OSFP and PAO who have placed themselves above the NT.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
      This is the gazetta article in question:

ΕΠΟ: Ψάχνει προπονητή για την Εθνική και στο εξωτερικό, εξελίξεις με το τεχνικό επιτελείο και τον Σωκράτη

I find it rich that an organization--in which three of its last four presidents have been found guilty of running a money laundering scam--should be in any position to lecture the captain of the team for supposedly putting his own interests ahead of what's best for the team.

Let's make it clear that Sokratis bleeds blue and white. And not for a minute should it be believed that Sokratis threatened the ultimatum that Anastasiadis be fired or that he, Sokratis, would walk off the team. Perhaps Manolas may have spoken rashly, but Sokratis would have done no such thing. Rather, he had demanded the EPO perform their duties to the same level of expectation that is held of himself or anyone else. He spoke with candor and honesty after a defeat that has dealt Greece a major blow to the team's qualification prospects. Whether one agrees with the very public manner in which he made his statements or not, he rightly demanded that changes be made. And fault lies with Grammenos for having avoided the players at the team hotel, which would have given them a chance to interact with him about their concerns, and also in Grammeno's declaration before the game that Anastasiadis would be guaranteed his job, regardless of the result against Armenia. Far from Sokratis putting himself above the team, he acted as a captain, speaking for the team at a time when the president was clearly not involved enough in discussing with the players the glaring issues they were having with the coach. Grammenos and the EPO have shown too little care and interest in the national side. They have to do a better job. This is a big chunk of the problem and this is why Sokratis rightly spoke out.

Also, I think it is painfully obvious that there is a problem with the NT primarily due to the influence held by AEK and PAOK, and to a certain extent OSFP and even PAO. This is why the likes of Grammenos even hold a job. I believe these clubs have done incredible harm to the NT and the Greek league itself. Savvidis and Melissanidis in particular have to stop acting like babies and act in the best interest of the NT, as well as the league. For years their selfish interests has torn Greek football apart. I think Alafouzos' selfish interest has cost his own club more than anything. PAO, as a result, has lost a lot of their former influence over the National teams beyond the youth levels. OSFP have not helped matters either, especially as it relates to Greece's current predicament, having to play at the OAKA instead of the Karaiskakis. But make no mistake, the manner in which clubs in Greece are run, having put their own self-interests above those of the NT, is what has cost Greek football the most. At a certain point these clubs have to work together for the broader sake of Greece. If anyone is acting above the interest of the Greek NT, then it is not Sokratis, but rather it is AEK, PAOK and to a lesser degree OSFP and PAO who have placed themselves above the NT.
      Fantastic post.

I can’t stand how the big 5 in Greece spend money on foreigners. There are plenty of young Greeks who are willing and hungry for an opportunity and it will in fact escalate their development and help all our national teams such as the u19,21 and Men’s teams.

You would also save money from playing Greeks as most are on low wages.

Sokratis said nothing wrong, and rightfully demanded for changes to take place. We need more players in the team like Sokratis who bleed for the team. I also feel like there a negative vibes in the team and that is why our players are not motivated. It all starts from the top. Team like ours needs a real coach who can take over and implement a real plan and with the right tactics. Masouras and Kolovos are in the team because we don’t trust our younger players. In my opinion if your good enough your old enough.
      Last edited by Dean97; 06-23-2019, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• Don Giovanni
        Don Giovanni commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree that Sokratis was in his right to say his piece. I think Greece is now moving in a better direction with player development, but Greece has far too many limitations. Players need to leave the country for at least one or two seasons once they're at a professional level. They can return to Greece, but it is important they at least spend a season abroad in a top league.

Grammenos has to get a better handle of his job. He must get closer to the players of the NT, or else we will see the problems that flared up during and after the match to Armenia, namely how Anastasiadis own people almost came to blows mid-match and Sokratis comments after the game. Grammenos has to show the NT is above the clubs and not the other way around. I'm content to give Grammenos a chance to establish himself into his role as president. He's not established enough ATM for the job at hand, but he must try to do what's best for Greece while not getting himself burned on the stakes in the process. His task is very difficult and I hope he's up to it.

It's a mistake to form central defense duo from the untested pairing of Siovas and Kourbelis for the match to Finland. We need Sokratis and Manolas. It's also a mistake to play Koutris, Stafylidis, Bakakis, Georgios Masouras, or Mavrias in the wide areas of a back-four. We lack the right options at the moment, but be that as it may, we need the likes of Koutris or Stafylidis in the midfield, so that there is at least some defensive cover when they make mistakes, which they will make. Finally, it's a mistake to build a midfield around Samaris' passing game. It's near to non-existent and it's breaking the back of our defense. We need someone like Tachtsidis (it could be Bouchalakis, Androutsos, or Bouzoukis eventually) to settle the ball in the middle of the park for Greece. Tachtsidis is the right man for the job given the level he's playing at and his experience at the highest levels. He will have an immediate impact, but it will become more effective in time, so much so that I think he will prove the single greatest difference maker for Greece in the face of our current struggles.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Greece is better off keeping Anastasiadis as manager, but he must make certain concessions. We can't have Valerianos and Kotsiras on the NT. They're not acceptable of the standard needed for Greece. Anastasiadis must come to terms with that or else he must go. He has to make up with Sokratis, Manolas and Torosidis, bring in the likes of Tachtsidis. Everyone must try to come together, put their differences aside, and do what's best for the team. If Sokratis doesn't like Anastasiadis approach, that's too bad. He will need to suck it up, pick up the slack where Anastasiadis is failing Greece, and try as best he can. That's the way it is until Greece can hire a foreign manager of proper pedigree. The sky could be the limit for Greece should we qualify for Euro 2020, even options like Jose Mourinho, should he be available, may consider coaching Greece for 6 months (for just the finals basically). Our team has enough quality to go to Euro 2020 despite our setbacks and with the right manager, we can even excel at the finals.

Comment

I agree with what your saying. But it has nothing to do with calling up Kotsiras and Valerianos. They didn’t play and Kotsiras did alright for what it’s worth. The problem lies in who he didn’t call up. Lykogiannis, Tachtsidis and Fetfatzidis should have been called instead of Kotsiras and Valerianos in the first place. We didnt have to call them up since we have better options. Risvanis could have been called. Lykogiannis was playing week in and week out. Not just that he is talented. I’m willing to give Taxi another chance but I’m the right role. We have seen him play deep and hasn’t got us anywhere. The 10 role might suit him and he is stronger than Fortounis and also presses better than him.

Grammenos by the looks of it doesn’t care about the national team. He is just saying the right things that need to be said. He won’t go above and beyond for the national team. That’s the way I see it. I don’t know what to think of it but all I want is the best for Greek football. We have the young talent but do we have the right people and right infrastructure around them to get them to the best level possible. I agree we players going abroad for a year or 2 to get them to the next stage. In my opinion Tsimikas needed to stay another year abroad and then come back to Olympiakos.

Comment

• Don Giovanni
          Don Giovanni commented
          Editing a comment
          Fair points about Kotsiras. His performance against Armenia was by and large faultless, but he doesn't merit a place over Torosidis.

Tachtsidis would excel more in a higher role where he is granted more freedom. The deeper he plays, the more he's susceptible to costlier errors and the more restricted his passing game.

Grammenos sure looks as if to suggest he doesn't care enough. I think it comes down to his inexperience more than anything.

The problem is Anastasiadis relies on players like Valerianos, Kotsiras, Bakasetas, etc, because they are at his level. Anastasiadis has a history of running afoul with more experienced, higher quality players like Torosidis, who are more skeptical of Anastasiadis and consider him to be something of a kook. Anastasiadis has to set those difference aside and learn to work with Torosidis. He has to come to terms with that. This mistake cost us against Italy. It's a big reason why we looked so lost and why got carved out on the right.

Even Fetfatzidis has to do more to warrant a call-up. He showed at OSFP and Aris that he stills need some work to do before he can reach the level needed of him. Come September, let's hope he shows something to warrant a call up. He can make a difference, even if it's just from the bench as opposed to the starting eleven. In my view, he's a more dangerous player than Masouras or anyone else I've seen on Greece's right-wing these past few years.

Grammenos has to do a better job. He's under a lot of pressure and he seems a little out of his depth, but I don't think he's a crook. He has to get closer to the players and develop direct links to them, he can't just operate through the coaching staff and have any concerns run through them first. Really it's a matter of getting everyone to come together for the best of the team. Let's hope Grammenos can lead Greece that way.

I should emphasize that it's a mistake to hire another foreign coach who's at best at the same level as Skibbe. I think it would be just as bad to hire Ouzonidis. I can accept Dellas as coach, but Anastasiadis for all his faults is a far more experienced manager. In my view it would be better to have Dellas to channel some of his ideas through the existing coaching staff, especially as it relates to analyzing opponents, helping to organize Greece on defending set-pieces, helping the team to maintain better concentration from the first minute of play, and inspiring players like Sokratis and Manolas to do better. Those are areas I think Dellas would have the greatest input. If anyone should burn for this mess, let it be Anastasiadis and not a hapless Dellas who doesn't deserve to mar his career prospects with our current fiasco.

Comment

To change the subject slightly, yesterday Olympiacos started a RB called Giannis Masouras. He scored the only goal for Olympiacos. Hugely attacking and good defensively. No obvious weaknesses. Fast too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giannis_Masouras

Maybe someone can slip a picture of him in our coach's pocket bible?

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
            To change the subject slightly, yesterday Olympiacos started a RB called Giannis Masouras. He scored the only goal for Olympiacos. Hugely attacking and good defensively. No obvious weaknesses. Fast too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giannis_Masouras

Maybe someone can slip a picture of him in our coach's pocket bible?
            I saw the goal aswell. It was a good goal and with his weak foot I believe.

Comment

There is also Saliakas, who was normally captain at the youth level (often reducing Giannis Masouras to the bench). He spent the last season on loan in the second division. Then there is a Syrian kid name Abdul Rahman Weiss, a Syrian who for reasons I cannot comprehend played in the most recent Greek u21 match against Georgia! We'll have to wait and see. Torosidis and Seitaridis showed a lot more promise by this age than any of the names we're mentioning. I'm not exactly holding my breath.

My honest opinion is that Greece should abandon wing-backs and play an extra CB. We lack quality in these areas, but we can make up for it at CB.

Comment

Watching the old 2004 team vs Portugal:

Tsiartas a better passer from the midfield at 46 than any of our current midfielders. Seriously.

Comment

Comment

Tsiartas a better passer from the midfield at 46 than any of our current midfielders. Seriously.
                    I remember watching him in my early 20’s, we were playing Germany in a qualifying game in Germany, early 2000’s... Tsartas’s passing into space created so much for us and caused the Germans many headaches.

He was a very special player, the Spaniards love him from his time in Sevilla but dunno how he didn’t become more well renowned, tremendously gifted player

Comment

Some of them look like they can still play lol.

Comment

Rehhagel looked fitter and healthier than most, and he's 81!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                          Rehhagel looked fitter and healthier than most, and he's 81!
                          He looked almost younger than in 2004.

Vryzas looked like he had just walked out a pub. Karagounis - full of energy.

Comment

ok guys lets do something for a laugh - I want to create a best 11 pus 4 subs - of the best Eternal talents of the last 15 years - players who fell WAAAAYYYYYY short of the hype they were given.Ill start with players off the top of my head and once we have a good size list we can start putting the team together im just going to list names for now not in any positional order feel free to add any i have forgotten or you think should be there. Now the selection criteria is a combination of Hype vs how shit they actually were and also the length of time they were considered a talent should be taken into account.

Ninis
                            Fetfatzidis
                            Koutsianikoulis
                            Panagiotis Vlachodimos
                            Mendrinos
                            Harilaos Pappas
                            Makos
                            Lagos
                            Pliatsikas
                            Fakoinos
                            Filipakos
                            Taralidis