Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arsenal should do some sort of an overhaul to there squad. They have been below standards for a while now. Mavropanos should take Sokratis spot next season as Sokratis has said he might leave after this season. Arsenal should do a rebuild with talented youngsters and keep a few stars like Aubemeyang, Lacazette etc.

Retsos is a gifted player should be a lock for Greece.

Comment

I think Sokratis is finished at Arsenal and should be out in the summer.

This experiment with Stafylidis at CB can't last. How much longer he plays there is anyone's guess, but he's not a center-back. I think more than anything this was a message from Van't Schip. It's clear to Siovas, who refused to play at LB against Italy. If the coach asks you to play a certain position, even if you don't play there almost ever, then you do it not question and do your job. And it's clear to Sokratis and Manolas that Van't Schip can move on without them if he needs to.

In my view, if we are to qualify for the 2022 WC, or at least stand any serious chance, Van't Schip needs to bring Manolas back and I think Sokratis too, but only if he plays regularly for his club at a good level. Especially now with Hatzidiakos and Siovas out for the season. And it's aburd to continue playing Stafylidis at CB, either Hatzidakos or Retsos must play alongside Manolas, and in my view all three should start.

I think Sokratis should play too or at least be available from the bench, but he has decide what he wants in the summer. Either he goes to a club in Europe competing at a respectable level, gets regular playing time and tries to play for Greece, or he goes for the money in the US or Middle East and basically retires from the NT. I hope he tries to keep playing regularly because his best football may still be ahead of him, as we saw with Zagorakis. Sokratis has a lot of quality and experience. He's been big for us when it mattered with goals against Costa Rica and Croatia when it looked like the tide had turned against us and the game was lost. These were big games and he was outstanding when it mattered. He has played against the best players in the game, including Cristiano and Messi, and on the biggest stages, Euros, WCs, EPL, and even a European final. Another player of this quality won't come around for another 4-5 years at least.

Comment

Great points Don but I think Sokratis is on the decline. Hatzidiakos and Retsos are talented and are rising. If Sokratis wants to play for Greece then he’s more than welcome to as he has accomplished a lot in his career and he has got a lot of experience.

I don’t know what message it sends by playing Stafylidis at CB. To me it’s like we haven’t got enough talented CBs or Stafylidis is too good to leave out. I believe both are false. I saw a bit of Kyriakopoulos play at LB against Juventus. He looked very good. A player who can be in contention for the LB spot which is pretty stacked. We have plenty of CBs we can choose from. Risvanis is one. Also Nikolaou is another. If we want to bring back Sokratis and Manolas then bring them back because Stafylidis shouldn’t be our CB.

I also agree about if the coach tells you to play somewhere then you do it. It’s your job, end of story. I’m actually a fan of playing certain players in different positions but that’s if the situation calls for it and if it makes sense.

Comment

It appears Russia will be banned from the 2022 World Cup.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ru...ing-violations

This seems excessive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
            It appears Russia will be banned from the 2022 World Cup.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ru...ing-violations

This seems excessive to me.
            But not Euro 2020??

Comment

Nope... I dont think much will happen. They will appeal the 2022 WC and get off. Scare tactics

Comment

They will lodge an appeal with CAS. As of now, they've been banned from major international events (the Euros aren't listed among those events). They want to make an example out of Russia.

Comment

Great Interview with Michael Valkanis, our assistant coach

https://hellasfooty.blogspot.com/202...0ACe8Lz4JO9gGM

Comment

You beat me to it Amorgo. Fantastic interview. If anyone has the time to read it, please do it’s a must read.

Comment

Baldock getting closer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...eorge-baldock/

Comment

JVS seems adamant to have him. He must be good if he if that’s the case. I don’t think he trusts Bakakis to be a long term option at RB.

Comment

Still haven't heard any word from the player himself if he's interested or has started going through the process of getting his passport.

Can't say I've seen him player but on paper he would be a welcome inclusion, he's a starter for a Premier league team that is currently in the top half of the table and is pushing for Europa League football. Fair to assume he probably has Bakakis covered in terms of ability but it all means nothing if he doesn't want to play for Greece.
                          Last edited by paokarag4; 01-23-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

If he is pushing for a passport, he must want to play. I am sure he has already asked him...

Comment

If he really wants to play and be part of the team then we should bring him in. I’m not all for bringing in foreigners to the team but if it’s going to get the job done with the right attitude then I’m for it.

I’d prefer a player who have Greek heritage or at least some. Zeca proved to us that he can be someone to rely on. Especially in terms of working hard. But just like JVS sees it I don’t think he is the answer.

Hopefully Baldock proves to be a good acquisition.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean97 View Post
                                If he really wants to play and be part of the team then we should bring him in. I’m not all for bringing in foreigners to the team but if it’s going to get the job done with the right attitude then I’m for it.

I’d prefer a player who have Greek heritage or at least some. Zeca proved to us that he can be someone to rely on. Especially in terms of working hard. But just like JVS sees it I don’t think he is the answer.

Hopefully Baldock proves to be a good acquisition.
                                Baldock has a Greek Grandfather. He even looks Greek.

Comment

Working...
                                X