POLL: Worst Greek NT coach of all time (multiple choice).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Worst Greek NT coach of all time (multiple choice).

Skibbe
    44.44%
    Ranieri
    33.33%
    Anastasiadis
    22.22%
    Markarian
    11.11%
    Tsanas
    22.22%
    Santos
    0%
    Polychroniou
    0%
    Other
    0%

Has to be Ranieri. I liked him and felt he deserved a chance to continue, but his performance was the worst in memory.

Comment

To be honest, I think this poll is pointless.

Anastasiadis is the right man for now. He has Stelios and Basinas on as assistants. The right men are leading the team in my view and we have reason to remain optimistic regarding qualification for Euro 2020. By the time of the finals proper, we'll need to reassess if Anastasiadis should carry this team into the finals proper. On the evidence so far, I would say he would need to become technical director and let a more qualified coach at the helm, ideally someone in the shape of Gasperini.

Ranieri was by far the worst on record, but he is also the manager who I hold with the greatest esteem to have led Greece. His success after at Leicester proved he was someone who could have been successful or have laid the foundations to greater success. He was the right choice to succeed Santos, as was Makarian later. I think Ranieri's time with Greece also helped him at Leicester to become a better manager, having taken some ideas and principles that Rehhagel imbued with Greece.

I think Skibbe was a limited coach from the get go, but he did bring some optimism back to the team and we did manage to beat Bosnia for second place in our group, which was no small feat. His major drawback was that he handicapped the team through his over reliance on Tzavellas and Tziolis, two players he fully trusted to keep the rest in check. The favoritism shown to Tzavellas was a major reason that led Holebas to quit, which hasn't helped matters either.

I think Makarian was great in his first match in charge, but he couldn't deal with the backroom politics and once we lost to Faroes the prospect of qualifying for Euro 2016 ended and he lost any desire to continue.

Tsanas was a caretaker or assistant at best, but his time at the youth level meant he was there to help usher in a few younger players into the team. He was never the right man to lead Greece and I think having him in charge didn't help matters at all. I don't think he himself gained much value in that experience as head coach.

Polychroniou helped usher a new generation of players, but was not nearly as limited as a coach as Tsanas. He helped lay some of the foundations for the team that would go on to win Euro 2004.

Santos was a good coach, but he was also limited by his over reliance on Karagounis and Katsouranis. He never managed to get Greece to perform without them. His failure to evolve the team is part of the reason for our current malaise. He has been very successful with Portugal and his time in Greece has helped shape some of that success, having borrowed concepts and approaches from Rehhagel, much like Ranieri at Leicester.

The real question is, who is the coach we should have hired and where did we make mistakes? Schuster, Michel are choices who might have galvanized our players. I also think Greece needs to adapt a system that reflects the players available her rather than trying to shoehorn a system suited to a bygone era.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
        To be honest, I think this poll is pointless.

Anastasiadis is the right man for now. He has Stelios and Basinas on as assistants. The right men are leading the team in my view and we have reason to remain optimistic regarding qualification for Euro 2020. By the time of the finals proper, we'll need to reassess if Anastasiadis should carry this team into the finals proper. On the evidence so far, I would say he would need to become technical director and let a more qualified coach at the helm, ideally someone in the shape of Gasperini.
        The chances of Anastasiadis giving up his position as NT coach in the miracle scenario he qualifies the team for the finals are zero. You must know that. Anastasiadis will continue until he is sacked. EPO will want to keep him whatever happens to save money.

However your faith in him seems incredible? Is there anything he can do - anything at all, that will make you change your mind about him? Clearly in your mind losses are acceptable, as is a 3 CB, 3 DM lineup with a rogue crappy LB as the cherry on top. Is there anything at all he can do that will make you begin to suspect he knows nothing about football and is harming the team?

Comment

The only sane answer is Ranieri. Despite his experience, he made amateur hour selections and did nothing to suggest he knew what the fuck he was doing. That qualifying campaign was probably the worst in our history--certainly the worst I can recall.

Skibbe is a very close second. Getting a cheaper German coach than the one who brought you your greatest success is not the answer, boys. Nationality is not a coaching license.

Comment

A loss to Armenia or Finland will mean Anastasiadis will have to be let go. I don't think that will happen. Also, Anastasiadis only has a contract with Greece until December of 2019. He doesn't have a choice unless the EPO offer him an extension of his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
              A loss to Armenia or Finland will mean Anastasiadis will have to be let go. I don't think that will happen. Also, Anastasiadis only has a contract with Greece until December of 2019. He doesn't have a choice unless the EPO offer him an extension of his contract.
              Completely forgot about that..

Comment

i voted, but not for ranieri. poor guy got 4 matches, watched socratis and manolas flop against n. ireland. that was the killer match.

to me, his only mistake was allowing the players to vote for captain. it took ranieri 11 minutes at his first home match to figure out we play too slow. we remember that taxi, lazaros and toro all reported late to training camps for their sides. fetfa had his minor groin surgery that ruined his european and intl. career and samaras and captain salpi fell off a cliff after june of 2014.

Comment

Working...
                X