The curious case of Valerianos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The curious case of Valerianos

Valerianos is now going on loan to Riga FC, the Latvian champs. Riga FC shares the same owner with Pafos FC, a Russian by the name of Sergey (Sergei) Lomakin. They take on the Irish champs in a UCL qualifier on Wednesday. I would be curious to see if he even competes.

https://www.sportime.gr/podosfairo/e...mpions-league/

Since winning a cap with the NT, he'll now be earning thrice the amount of money (at least 150k per year) and competing in the UCL qualifiers. Apparently he had a better offer from the Bulgarian champs for 400k over a period of two years, but he chose Pafos instead. Not bad for a left-back who can't even cross the ball into the box.

I put forward the exact reason this happened - a system of buying caps described by other players over the years but you didn't like it.

So what is your theory?

Comment

• Don Giovanni
      Don Giovanni commented
      Editing a comment
      Either he's being used to launder money, like Bebe was used by United, or Anastasiadis is living in a fantasy land.

I actually don’t mind him as a player. He isn’t cut out for Greece but he can still be a 4th or 5th option if no one is a available. Maybe the Greek league is that bad and he decent players around him at Aris that made him look good. Maybe it’s the latter.

Comment

I don't think he's good enough, not for Greece, not even for Aris. He's hardworking and determined, to his credit, but he can't cross the ball for his life. He's a pure full-back who on offense has shown flashes of individual skill on the ball, but not much else. I think to invite a player like that the ethniki was proof that Anastasiadis was living in his own fantasy land or the EPO was still subject to corrupt influences.

Comment

Working...
      X