The John van't Schip replacement thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was hoping for a Bielsa or Zeman to come along and have this sort of effect, but Van't Schip has made the difference.

Comment

• He was in Crete the other day. Pankritio has been earmarked as the team's new home grounds, so he was checking the stadium and OFI's training facilities. He met with OFI's hierarchy, including Georgios Samaras. He was also keeping tabs on OFI's right-back, Marinakis, and in-form forward Kosmas Tsilianidis.

Comment

• He was hanging out with Machlas too, legend!

Comment

• Nice interview with Van't Schip. He carries himself well and gives a little insight into his tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Comment

• I like the style that he wants and I like the way we have been playing. Something I have been wanting to see with this team for eg. Fast passing, movement, actual wingers and youth.

He has said multiple times he wants players that can play his way which attacking and wants mobile players. So Samaris and Tachtsidis are not favoured. I also assume Bouchalakis isn’t favoured that much either. He wants us to have the ball and not let other teams build up there attacks. As I’ve said I like what I’m seeing with him.

In regards to Manolas and Sokratis. He has said multiple times he wants players to want to play for the team even though those 2 have quality.

Even though I personally wouldn’t play/start Bakasetas, Bakakis and Kourbelis, JVS must know what he is doing because our performances have improved. And there is still more room for improvement. I just have my doubts on playing players like Bakasetas and Bakakis over the long term. I can think of a handful of players more deserving and more talented to start ahead of them.

Alright Bakakis is the only one who can be an exception because we haven’t really got much going on in this position. But at CAM we would need more quality and speed in the future for sure. Fortounis, Mantalos, Pelkas, Bouzoukis and Fetfatzidis are more than capable of filling that gap.

Our CMs are fine at the moment as there seems to be a good understanding between Gala and Kourbelis so I wouldn’t want to change that around so much. Limnios has quality and a lot of potential for us on at RW/RM. He can cover defensively and can cause trouble going forward.

Pavlidis and Donis are the 2 I go with for the ST spot. Koulouris has to prove himself more to me for his club. Fountas might surpass him soon.

I really like Hatzidiakos and I think he is our future at CB. High quality player and plays very maturely and smart at the back. I’d put Manolas and his speed next to him to form an unstoppable duo at CB. Retsos seems next in line after that. Also Vlachodimos should be the number 1.
          Last edited by Dean97; 12-22-2019, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• I had my doubts and my concerns, but he has proven to be the right man for the job so far. Qualifying for the 2022 World Cup won't be easy. Only the group winners advance directly and then only three more teams qualify via the play-offs. In 2018 four teams advanced from the play-offs in a more straight forward process and the hosts were European, so this time fewer European sides qualify and the play-off process is more difficult. He has a very difficult job ahead to qualify for the finals, but he is doing a great job laying the foundations to sustain us moving forward.

Comment

• Did I read correct that he wants he wants to turn Hellas into a more attacking side?

Comment

• His philosophy is to play possession based football, and to not only hold the ball, but to attack. A lot of emphasis on intensity, quick passes and mobility. He wants to do this when possible. I think against the likes of Armenia and Finland we can do this. Against teams of a similar level to ours, like Bosnia, probably. So far, we've seen this. Against better sides, I don't think we can really control the ball or take the game to them. We would have to be reactive, similar to what we saw against Italy.

I'm glad he's open to having Manolas and Sokratis back. Even Sokratis, despite his struggles at Arsenal, has shown that he still has a lot of quality. De Bruyne really struggled against Sokratis. So does Kane. The truth is Sokratis is a very good defender, but he doesn't have that spring in his step anymore and has to learn to love playing with the ball again. This was a player who used to love making runs with the ball. He has to do that again. Too often he looks to play a safe pass. He needs to take chances and get forward more.

Comment

• So, watched the interview. Fascinating.

A few points.

1/ He wants attacking possession football. This is a total departure from how we were playing before. He wants instant ball recovery - like how Holland/Barcelona play. This will be good.

2/ He lives in Athens.

3/ Manolas and Sokratis have attitude problems and his 'if they want to return' explains everything we need to know about why they are not there currently.

4/ Do we know where the new Ethniki stadium will be yet?

5/ We need more friendlies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                    So, watched the interview. Fascinating.

A few points.

1/ He wants attacking possession football. This is a total departure from how we were playing before. He wants instant ball recovery - like how Holland/Barcelona play. This will be good.

2/ He lives in Athens.

3/ Manolas and Sokratis have attitude problems and his 'if they want to return' explains everything we need to know about why they are not there currently.

4/ Do we know where the new Ethniki stadium will be yet?

5/ We need more friendlies.
                    I know you weren’t a big fan of JVS but you and all of us are going to have to give him time to pull some strings and what I mean by that is to get through to the EPO. Also to persuade them that he can take the team to the World Cup playing the best players possible for eg. Fetfa.

We’ve seen what he wants already. We do need more friendlies and apparently the home stadium might be OFI’s home ground.

Comment

• If it is to be OFI's stadium, I would expect the EPO to help fund the completion of the northern stand and rebuild the southern stand into a mini Bombonera west stand.

The stadium as it is severely fragmented and barely 9000 capacity.

Comment

• I hope in the future the team plays in the new AEK stadium. That would be nice. Karaiskaki would be good too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                          Well we have a new Canadian coach. Like with Skibbe and the others - this is the biggest job he has ever had in his life, like his immediate predecessors - he has a poor win ratio at the few clubs he has coached. Like with his predecessors - he is cheap - €450,000. Like with Skibbe - no evidence he has even visited Greece in his life - of course it goes without saying he has never coached outside of Holland/Australia. Another Grammenos shit show. Another paid holiday for a nobody.
                          Would you still say that his tenure has been a paid holiday?

Comment

• Originally posted by AEKftw21 View Post

Would you still say that his tenure has been a paid holiday?
                            Positive signs so far - not so much in selections but in the fight he has instilled in the players. If he manages to find a decent CM and loses his fascination with Staf and other hangers-on I would say his tenure has been good. I am quite a rare poster in that I think Sokratis is massively overrated (he was also a massive apologist for Skibbe) so I was happy he had the nerve to send him packing.

Comment

• When he first signed, I think we were all scratching our heads. How on Earth did the EPO find this guy? And then you read up the story of how some agent tied to PAOK was the one who recommended him and he finagled the EPO into a meeting... it sounds like the sort of backward way of doing things that usually ends in disappointment.

But there has been a trend lately to hire relatively fresh-faced managers with little pedigree who play bold, attractive football. The best example is ten Hag of Ajax. It's fair to suggest that van't Schip was being lined up to replace ten Hag, so in light of that and given our current run of form, it could be said we're lucky to have van't Schip. For all we know, he could be the best manager Greek football will ever see. For years we've been asking for a Bielsa, Zeman, Gasperini type of coach, someone willing to play bold, attack minded football. I think we finally got someone like that in van't Schip. It's up to him to find the right balance now to make it work results wise.

No question he has done well, but I think he was wrong to place so much stock into his own favorite Vrousaj and Anastasiadis favorite Kolovos. The failure to adequately replace Fortounis cost us qualification, but we can't hold that against van't Schip. He needed time and he finally got a good mix once he settled on Pavlidis, Mantalos, Bakasetas, and Limnios up front. Those four have set an excellent standard. Even Fortounis will need to wake up and realize he must thoroughly improve his physique and defensive capabilities.

I think the big key is convincing the likes of Manolas to get on board and gain the trust of the more senior players like Sokratis and Mitroglou, who still have a role to play from the bench at a minimum. With the results van't Schip achieved in the past three games, he'll have won their respect. So it's up to van't Schip to make sure they understand what he wants of them and to be upfront of his plans. If he sees Sokratis on the bench, he should outright tell him so and let the chips falls as they may. I think van't Schip should always keep the door open to him, however, just like Santos did with Gekas (that ingrate).

There's a real energy and belief among the players, but we have good tests coming in September to November against Slovenia and Kosovo. Again, van't Schip hasn't had a lot of time to work with his players, so we may have to treat the NL as a way for him to find his best eleven and accept that a first place finish is not our main ambition here, but rather preparedness for World Cup qualification. No matter what happens in NL campaign, we'll need to be patient.

Skibbe, we have to remember, was being advised by Rehhagel. He was not that bad a manager, but he seems more suited to developing players as opposed to the role of a manager proper, something that may prove true too of van't Schip. Skibbe's job became impossible once he couldn't rely on Tzavellas and Tziolis to play anymore for Greece (their mistakes were costing us in the NL and in the WC PO defeat to Croatia). Van't Schip could find himself in the same position if he keeps playing Stafylidis at CB. It's clear that Stafylidis can't operate as a proper central defender and I think he'll cost us results if he continues in that role.

Comment

Working...
                              X