The John van't Schip replacement thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The John van't Schip replacement thread

Well we have a new Canadian coach. Like with Skibbe and the others - this is the biggest job he has ever had in his life, like his immediate predecessors - he has a poor win ratio at the few clubs he has coached. Like with his predecessors - he is cheap - €450,000. Like with Skibbe - no evidence he has even visited Greece in his life - of course it goes without saying he has never coached outside of Holland/Australia. Another Grammenos shit show. Another paid holiday for a nobody.

He'll be handed a contract for 2.5 years, but it's contingent on how he performs with Greece in this campaign.

Let's see what happens. If Van 't Schip can help the team play more effectively in possession, even if it's by no means spectacular, and if can make the team look more organized at the back, then we'll be in a better position moving forward and have something to build on at the very least. I wouldn't mind it if he were handed a chance. Ten Hag, the current Ajax manager, had an even less impressive CV than Van 't Schip and yet he managed to lead Ajax to within mere seconds of a UCL final. We also beat Bosnia the last time out to second place in our World Cup qualifying group under Skibbe, and I don't see why we can't do it again.

I'm an optimist and still think we can qualify. Obviously, Fortounis would have made that task easier. Maybe he's too great a loss and we can't recover from it, but I still think we can manage qualification.

More than anything, and regardless of the coach, our players have it in their hands to do better. It may seem like a Sisyphean task, but they have to do more. Just as an example, in the match to Bosnia--when Dzeko was subbed off, Pjanic was sent off, and the game was fully in our favor with the score hanging by a threat at 2-2 for the last 15 minutes--that was the moment Sokratis should have been running into the penalty area looking to score himself like he did against Costa Rica in 2014. And who knows, if he did that Greece might have won 3-2 and we'd be in a great position to qualify.

I really believe this group of players has enough quality to cause upsets and rival past successes. With the way things have gone, the managerial position has become something of a poisoned chalice, but the truth is I think Van 't Schip should consider himself very lucky to have this group of players and I hope he realizes their potential and his own potential as a manager.

Comment

The guy probably doesn't believe his luck as he arrives in Athens just now. If I were him I would be checking my bank app to make sure the money is in the account. He has won the lottery. The only managerial job in world football where he will not be judged on results.

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ella...p.5570046.html

Comment

Lol his facial expressions tell the whole story.

Comment

Sportime with a not so flattering article on the EPO and the mess they have created, raising the point that the money has not been well spent.

https://www.sportime.gr/bloggers/age...ama-iparchoun/

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
            Sportime with a not so flattering article on the EPO and the mess they have created, raising the point that the money has not been well spent.

https://www.sportime.gr/bloggers/age...ama-iparchoun/
            What I said all along. Anyone with a basic IQ knows if you buy cheap - you always spend extra replacing them when you break their contract. May as well buy a decent manager and give him time. Sadly Grammenos does not have an IQ over 100.. more of the same. Another Skibbe.

Comment

Do we know anything about this guy’s tactical approach and style?

Comment

High pressing and generally an attacking game... I feel we wont see central players played out wide which has hindered this team for years. I also hope with Winter and Valkanis we will step away from Bakasetas and other failed players out wide as well as players like Samaris getting a green light after one poor game after another - if these things can be rectified and we get some more speed and skill on this team, we can't do too much worse than where we are now
                Last edited by Amorgos; 08-02-2019, 05:07 AM.

Comment

PEC Zwolle managed to keep a lot of the ball for a team that was battling relegation.

Comment

What I’ve noticed with this generation of players is that whenever they are up against quality opposition they realise they need to be ON as they realise they are going to get there asses handed to them if they don’t step it up. They become complacent against sides that are beneath them. All I know is whenever we want to turn it up we can easily win. Look at the Belgium game where we drew 1-1. We could’ve won that game. Same goes for the Bosnia game where we drew 2-2, we could’ve won that aswell. If you watched both games you would realise we had a chance to win and not lose. If anyone remembers against Bosnia we were attacking them like crazy with players like Masouras, Koutris, Kolovos, Donis and Fortounis. There involvement helped us in creating the 2 goals in the 2nd half. If we pushed a little more we would scored the 3rd in my opinion. Fortounis was the major in the comeback in the 2nd half. Zeca cross was fantastic also.

Comment

I don't think they suffer from complacency. Right now this generation suffers from a lack of cohesion, a loss of direction, and low morale. A proper coach could change all that, but it's up to the players themselves to dig this team out of its hole and prove they deserve a proper coach.

With respect to turning it on, only Fortounis can do that. It will be hard to replace him and I don't even know if we can.

I do think we have a team that is competitive enough to beat Bosnia to second place in the group, without Fortounis that task may be all the more harder, but it's still possible with a bit of luck. I'm willing to see how things pan out with Van 't Schip. If we find the right system for the players we have and if everyone can get behind each other, then this team can even overachieve.

Comment

I don't think they suffer from complacency. Right now this generation suffers from a lack of cohesion, a loss of direction, and low morale. A proper coach could change all that, but it's up to the players themselves to dig this team out of its hole and prove they deserve a proper coach.

With respect to turning it on, only Fortounis can do that. It will be hard to replace him and I don't even know if we can.

I do think we have a team that is competitive enough to beat Bosnia to second place in the group, without Fortounis that task may be all the more harder, but it's still possible with a bit of luck. I'm willing to see how things pan out with Van 't Schip. If we find the right system for the players we have and if everyone can get behind each other, then this team can even overachieve.
                        I think your right aswell. Fortounis is able to turn it up. If only he was a faster and fitter player we would have beaten Armenia. We would have beaten them only because of Fortounis. I’m sort of optimistic now that Van ‘t Schip is more of an attacking minded coach something that this team needs to build on. I hope he finds a way to improve us a team going forward and pump those numbers in terms of goals. My first thought about him wasn’t good but I’m up for seeing how he does.

I also hope Kourbelis becomes more of a leader and a more solid midfielder for Greece as he can give some structure to our midfield, especially if he is a holding player.

I believe Skibbe and Anastasiadis were at fault for Croatia and Italy losses respectively. The Armenia defeats and Faroe defeats all should be blamed on the players in my opinion. I remember where we lost to the Faroes at their home we played a line up like this and lost:

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Manolas Stafylidis
                        Lazaros Samaris Kone
                        Fetfatzidis Mitroglou Karelis

Subs Ninis, Fountas and (someone else)

This team should have done the job but lost 2-0. In my opinion this team is something that i would’ve put out at the time myself. Ninis came on that game and hit the post twice I believe.
                        Last edited by Dean97; 08-08-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

How the fuck did that line up lose to amateurs

Comment

Instead of settling the ball and taking complete control of the game, we played any way the wind blew. We built ourselves around Lazaros and Kone. They didn't save Bologna from relegation and they couldn't save Greece against Faroes. Lazaros put on a disappearing act. Kone only looked to combine with Mitroglou. There was no one trying to settle the ball and restrict the game so that Faroes couldn't break at all and press us without tiring themselves out. Our plan B was Kolovos and Fountas, two players who had no experience and no business playing at a time like that. We were playing playground football, not like a professional team. That's where we went wrong.

Makarian threw Ninis into the mix somewhere in between those plans, but he really should have built around Ninis from the start of the match and tried to emulate the way Greece played under Santos in the 2-0 win over Lithuania. Ninis knows how to distribute the ball and keep possession. He's also creative and can score on his own, much like Fortounis. And in the end, it was Ninis who got the assist on the one goal we scored against Faroes.

This team needs a player like Ninis or Fortounis. Against better sides, they might be more useful from the bench, but against any other side we need one of those two or someone of equal ability. And we need Tachtsidis or Bouchalakis to help keep possession. Beyond that, we need to be organized and keep things tight at the back. Also, we need to stop pretending we have left-backs and right-backs, we simply don't. When Greece does that, we'll get results again.

Comment

Instead of settling the ball and taking complete control of the game, we played any way the wind blew. We built ourselves around Lazaros and Kone. They didn't save Bologna from relegation and they couldn't save Greece against Faroes. Lazaros put on a disappearing act. Kone only looked to combine with Mitroglou. There was no one trying to settle the ball and restrict the game so that Faroes couldn't break at all and press us without tiring themselves out. Our plan B was Kolovos and Fountas, two players who had no experience and no business playing at a time like that. We were playing playground football, not like a professional team. That's where we went wrong.

Makarian threw Ninis into the mix somewhere in between those plans, but he really should have built around Ninis from the start of the match and tried to emulate the way Greece played under Santos in the 2-0 win over Lithuania. Ninis knows how to distribute the ball and keep possession. He's also creative and can score on his own, much like Fortounis. And in the end, it was Ninis who got the assist on the one goal we scored against Faroes.

This team needs a player like Ninis or Fortounis. Against better sides, they might be more useful from the bench, but against any other side we need one of those two or someone of equal ability. And we need Tachtsidis or Bouchalakis to help keep possession. Beyond that, we need to be organized and keep things tight at the back. Also, we need to stop pretending we have left-backs and right-backs, we simply don't. When Greece does that, we'll get results again.
                              True Don Ninis needed to start that game. As soon as he came on I swear we looked more dangerous. Your right he assisted the goal from a corner that Sokratis scored from a header.

Comment

Working...
                              X