Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
    How the fuck did that line up lose to amateurs
    I don’t know man that’s a mystery. It’s even more mind boggling as Lazaros, Kone and Samaris had performed well in the World Cup prior. I thought these guys would’ve steered the ship forward but I was proven wrong.

Comment

We also saw it when Greece was down 2-0 to Bosnia. Bosnia could have ran away with three or four goals if they had continued in similar vein, like Italy and Croatia did. In theory, Pjanic alone beats us for quality on the ball. If not for him, I don't think Bosnia control the game like they had nor do they score. We won because the Bosnians handicapped themselves: Pjanic was made to defend, rather than attack, and he got sent off for a bad challenge as a result. On top of that, Fortounis is really gifted player who can dominate proceedings if allowed to. Bosnia thought they could sit back and pick out openings as we went forward with the score relatively safe at 2-0, but instead we pinned them back and exposed their poor defense, drawing level and then threatening to even win.

Comment

Watching the press conference now. I really like what John van ‘t Schip is saying.

They have been analyzing a lot of things, and they like the idea of how they can work with the younger groups too as a long term goal.

They’re also checking out Greek heritage players that are doing well.

He’s on bringing energy to the team which is what we desperately need, good sign.

He said they will do video sessions to past games in order for the team to realize some faults that he and his team are confident they can improve on.

Asked if he has plans with Mitroglou, he pointed out that Mitro needs more time and if he continues and plays well he will be back.

I really hope this works

Comment

Thanks for that Amorgo.

I really liked what I was hearing. He clearly has done his homework on the team and players. Also players who are not involved in the team.

He likes using the 4-3-3. Is like to see how it goes. I really want this to work, o really do. The only thing that he didn’t touch upon was something that should’ve been obvious. He didn’t say that the goal is to make the Euros. This is the most important thing in my opinion and I don’t want to see a tournament without Greece in it.

He only has 3 days to talk to the players. But he hope in the long run he gets this team playing good football. It can be done. He clearly rates Vrousai, as he should. I hope we stay with him for the long haul. Only because of what he said and what he wants to do with the team.

He clearly wants the youth to come through and make a splash in the team. When I heard he and his team are also focusing on players coming up like Pavlidis he got the ok from me. This team needs skilful energetic players. He stated that he wants the team to play with real energy. Which is exactly the way team needs to play.

Another thing that has persuaded me about him is from him including Fetfatzidis. I really hope he starts. This team needs someone like him badly.

To sum up he seems to be working very hard and has knowledge about how to play. He watched and analysed all players and has analysed past games aswell. Good signs so far. Now it’s time to show it on the field.

Comment

We're going away to Finland in match we must win and which the Finns can afford to lose. Finland have won their last three matches without conceding a goal. I think Pavlidis and Vrousai should be playing with the u21s, not at this level. We are not up against San Marino's youth team. Leaving Mitroglou out was not a good move. He should be on the bench. This is naive for a manager at this level.

Fetfazidis is out of shape. He can't complete 90 minutes and was toothless against Volos. I'm happy he's on the team, but realistically he's not someone we can rest our hopes on, like we could with Fortounis.

If we lose Bouchalakis to injury or if Bouchalakis struggles to perform, we'll be in trouble. There's no alternative to him now. And frankly, the fact Tachtsidis isn't on the team to me suggests once again our technical staff failed to monitor him or dismiss because they have established an opinion of him that no longer warrants merit. Anyone who thinks he doesn't belong on the NT is very mistaken. Bouchalakis completed maybe 30 passes against Krasnodar. Manolas completed more passes against Juventus! Samaris is even worse on the ball. I think we'll be lucky to hold meaningful possession against Finland. This is asking for trouble.

If we don't win against Finland, Greece is essentially out of Euro 2020. We play away to Italy next month, not San Marino's youth team, and so far the evidence suggests our coach is not planning for that match, the evidence suggest he's planning down the road for World Cup qualifying. He's making big mistakes that will cost us qualification and I think he'll be out of a job by the time World Cup qualifying begins.

Comment

Saying the right things but then again so did Claudio. Can't be any worse than the last clown.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean97 View Post
                The only thing that he didn’t touch upon was something that should’ve been obvious. He didn’t say that the goal is to make the Euros. This is the most important thing in my opinion and I don’t want to see a tournament without Greece in it.

He only has 3 days to talk to the players. But he hope in the long run he gets this team playing good football. It can be done.
                He did, and he is been real, he said the focus is on Finland and winning that match but there is only 3 days to prepare so everyone will do their best. He was asked if he believed we can make the Euros and said he wouldn’t be here if he didn’t but focus is purely on Finland which is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post

He did, and he is been real, he said the focus is on Finland and winning that match but there is only 3 days to prepare so everyone will do their best. He was asked if he believed we can make the Euros and said he wouldn’t be here if he didn’t but focus is purely on Finland which is spot on.
                  Your right! I just remembered. We must win against Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                    We're going away to Finland in match we must win and which the Finns can afford to lose. Finland have won their last three matches without conceding a goal. I think Pavlidis and Vrousai should be playing with the u21s, not at this level. We are not up against San Marino's youth team. Leaving Mitroglou out was not a good move. He should be on the bench. This is naive for a manager at this level.

Fetfazidis is out of shape. He can't complete 90 minutes and was toothless against Volos. I'm happy he's on the team, but realistically he's not someone we can rest our hopes on, like we could with Fortounis.

If we lose Bouchalakis to injury or if Bouchalakis struggles to perform, we'll be in trouble. There's no alternative to him now. And frankly, the fact Tachtsidis isn't on the team to me suggests once again our technical staff failed to monitor him or dismiss because they have established an opinion of him that no longer warrants merit. Anyone who thinks he doesn't belong on the NT is very mistaken. Bouchalakis completed maybe 30 passes against Krasnodar. Manolas completed more passes against Juventus! Samaris is even worse on the ball. I think we'll be lucky to hold meaningful possession against Finland. This is asking for trouble.

If we don't win against Finland, Greece is essentially out of Euro 2020. We play away to Italy next month, not San Marino's youth team, and so far the evidence suggests our coach is not planning for that match, the evidence suggest he's planning down the road for World Cup qualifying. He's making big mistakes that will cost us qualification and I think he'll be out of a job by the time World Cup qualifying begins.
                    Mitroglou is not fully fit. He has stated that he can’t comepete the full 90. Fetfatzidis on the other hand has been playing well and also played more games. His contribution will be massive for the team.

When you say that the evidence suggests he’s planning down the road - I got that feeling aswell. Especially when he said we’ve been analysing the u15 and 17s teams and wanting to integrate players from the u21s. It feels like he has long terms plans for this team and is saying what I would do with this team.

The main objective right now is to beat Finland. And that is what he said.

Comment

We should have Mitroglou on the bench as an option if Koulouris flounders.

I saw the training session highlights the EPO uploaded on YouTube. Sokratis and Manolas didn't look thrilled settling into Agios Kosmas. Manolas last week played and scored in a big match against Juventus. Sokratis played Liverpool and Tottenham, the UCL finalists, over the past two weeks. They play at the highest levels. These two aren't going to believe an Albanian playing in the Netherlands is going to fill Fortounis' shoes, never mind tie his laces. Mitroglou and Sokratis came up together at the same time and played on the same youth teams. Pavlidis may well become the next Charisteas and could surprise us, but even Charisteas made his debut under less straining circumstances.

The truth is Pavlidis and Vrousaj are not ready for this level. Realistically, we cannot set any expectations on them. They're better off playing in friendlies for the u21s. Limnios and Giannoulis have no business being on the team. It looks like the EPO/coaching staff are paying back favor to PAOK with those call-ups.

This is a tough game. Finland beat Bosnia 2-0. They beat us 2-0 the last time we played them away. Other than Fetfatzidis, none of the other forwards have more than 9 caps for Greece. I'm fine with some fresh faces, but we need some experience from the bench if the going gets tough.

We also need someone who can settle the ball a bit. Without Fortounis, we're in even worse shape than we were before. If we cheaply give the ball away, then we are going to get caught out of shape and Finland will find ways to score. Moreover, we won't be able to connect the play, not even on the counter.

I see too many problems with this squad. And I can't imagine our best players will be happy about what they're seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                        We should have Mitroglou on the bench as an option if Koulouris flounders.

I saw the training session highlights the EPO uploaded on YouTube. Sokratis and Manolas didn't look thrilled settling into Agios Kosmas. Manolas last week played and scored in a big match against Juventus. Sokratis played Liverpool and Tottenham, the UCL finalists, over the past two weeks. They play at the highest levels. These two aren't going to believe an Albanian playing in the Netherlands is going to fill Fortounis' shoes, never mind tie his laces. Mitroglou and Sokratis came up together at the same time and played on the same youth teams. Pavlidis may well become the next Charisteas and could surprise us, but even Charisteas made his debut under less straining circumstances.

The truth is Pavlidis and Vrousaj are not ready for this level. Realistically, we cannot set any expectations on them. They're better off playing in friendlies for the u21s. Limnios and Giannoulis have no business being on the team. It looks like the EPO/coaching staff are paying back favor to PAOK with those call-ups.

This is a tough game. Finland beat Bosnia 2-0. They beat us 2-0 the last time we played them away. Other than Fetfatzidis, none of the other forwards have more than 9 caps for Greece. I'm fine with some fresh faces, but we need some experience from the bench if the going gets tough.

We also need someone who can settle the ball a bit. Without Fortounis, we're in even worse shape than we were before. If we cheaply give the ball away, then we are going to get caught out of shape and Finland will find ways to score. Moreover, we won't be able to connect the play, not even on the counter.

I see too many problems with this squad. And I can't imagine our best players will be happy about what they're seeing.
                        There shouldn’t be a reason for some of our players not to be happy. Mitroglou hasn’t been playing. I wouldn’t mind coming off the bench if things get tough. Sokratis and Manolas need to get there act together and play like they did in the 2014 World Cup. We need to start looking at other options at ST aswell. We can’t jeep relying on Mitroglou. Pavlidis is in good form and from the looks of it is more faster and better on the ball. Most importantly he is in form and scoring.

If anyone remembers Vrousai had a fantastic debut for the first team of Olympiakos. You can tell their is talent there. He is performing well in Holland aswell. Just like you have stated before Manolas and Sokratis should just concentrate on helping this team win. They are our best players and leaders. It’s a team game. If they don’t like it then they need to leave. I’m not blaming particular players or anything as I believe the whole team is at fault, but with their negativity they could be the reason we have been losing which could affect the whole team.

We need every player enjoying and having passion for the team. We need them concentrated on the goal. We need to be a team. We need to be 1. There needs to be a team effort not individuals. If certain players don’t like it they need to get out. With the way the coach explained everything we could well see huge changes going forward from the way things are run and development of players etc.

I know the EPO are not good enough to find solutions and are toxic but we need the team winning again.

Comment

All the signs point to Van't Schip being another Skibbe whose is better off coaching or directing youth teams, not senior teams like Greece, just like Skibbe is doing now at Dortmund.

This is not a coach who will lead us to Euro 2020 qualification and given that we will more than likely be handed an unfavorable draw for the World Cup qualifiers, I think it's safe to say the result is a manager who is building a team for Euro 2028, when the likes of Vrousaj and Pavlidis will be in their prime.

Unfortunately, this isn't the Greek NT anymore, it's the AEK and PAOK social club.

Comment

Don can you show me the video of Sokratis & Manolas not been happy? I saw one video and there is no way you can say that, so wondering if there is a dif video.

Given van ‘t Schips vision & goals, no player has the right to not be motivated for the Ethniki and if your not, you don’t belong there

Comment

Had to be the same one you saw.

During the Q&A, Van't Schip made a thorough point that "passion" had to return to the team. Also, before the first training session, Van't Schip had a separate word with Sokratis and Manolas. I think Van't Schip has more to do to win them over from the looks of things.

Comment

My friend, that clip does not show any such thing. I think you have a perceived thoughts on van ‘t Ship and seen that.

Comment

Working...
                                X