The John van't Schip replacement thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dean97 View Post
    But I’m willing to see what Vant Schip does with the call ups, probably nothing.
    Really? He even called up Vrousai & Pavlidis plus Fetfa and you say prob nothing after what he has said too?

Comment

Don Giovanni very good post before file.

I heavily agree with many points, especially on Fetfa been our best attacker and we only looked like creating and scoring when he was involved. I strongly believe he needs to be part of the 4th rebuild

Tsimikas... I thought the kid had better skill and composure to what I saw in this game. A few times he was put in great positions to deliver a good cross but he would fumble over himself! Cost us a 2-0 lead and what would have been Koulouris’s first goal for us. Koutris needs to get the call next time and Lykogiannis for Italia.

Donis over Masouras yes.

My eyes will be on midfield, surly Samaris has cost us enough games now. I would like to see Galanopoulos given a go, he has played at Champions League level
      too

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post

Really? He even called up Vrousai & Pavlidis plus Fetfa and you say prob nothing after what he has said too?
        Look, I really hope we go through a proper restart and evaluate each position and see what want from each positions. I want the coach to analyse what he wants and needs for the team in each position. So far personally i like the inclusions of Vrousai, Pavlidis and Fetfatzidis. It’s what we need at the moment and going forward. Donis can be the invlovled too.

Again I hope we have a restart but with this current EPO I feel like we won’t and things will be the same. Hopefully not.

Comment

I wouldn't close the book on Samaris yet as I think his performances could improve if he is tasked to play for Greece in a fashion similar to how he is deployed at Benfica.

Galanopoulos is a player I think will find his way in the NT very soon. For now he's going to have to help the U21s qualify for the next Euros.

We'll have to wait and see how players are performing by early October. Hopefully Van't Schip can get the players committed to the team and restore enough faith so that the players give Italy a tough contest. Rehhagel managed to an amazing job turning things around for Greece against England at Old Trafford. Van't Schip needs to draw on that for inspiration.

Comment

To this day, I've never seen a Greek National Team play the way we did against England that day... that was something special, shame we didnt not win that one which we really deserved.

Comment

The Senior team should be 1st priority. The u21s don’t matter as much as the senior team. We should be choosing the best players possible. I don’t mind having Vrousai and Pavlidis as back ups to Mitroglou and Donis. So far Donis, Retsos, Koulouris and Tsimikas have graduated from the u21s. Now Vrousai and Pavlidis have graduated. If we want Pavlidis and Vrousai to help the u21s than Retsos should stay aswell. I believe we should get anyone possible that’s going to help the team. Clearly Vant Schipt believes Vrousai and Pavlidis are ready for the next step. If Vrousai scored that chance in the last few minutes against Finland we would be saying how good he is and that we need him.

As for Samaris it’s kind of pointless. If he plays a role similar to the one at Benfica it wouldn’t matter in my opinion. He has played that role before and hasn’t made a difference. What we need is more creativity from the 8 and 6.

Comment

There are certain teams we play against where we shouldn't even have to discuss squad selections. Any team we field should be winning.

Our poor results come back to lack of mental strength, camaraderie and that ingrained hate of losing, not lack of talent. Right now the players as much as they try and say the right things to the media are not too phased in under performing and go back to their clubs earn there paycheck and blame everyone else for the national team state.

Its always been the case with the national team, until a decent manager who has the players respect gives them the kick up the arse they need, and makes some tough calls looking beyond player reputations.

I don't believe Vant Schip is the guy to do this, but in saying that there aren't that many out there who can, he was doomed from the get go.

Comment

Speaking to Dutch press JVS stated:

- There's much gloom surrounding the #Ethniki.
                  - The focus is now on Qatar 2022.
                  - Any Greek player who stands out will get called up.
                  - Young players will be given priority.
                  - Some veterans will stay, others, their best days are behind them.
                  - Club loyalties within EPO no matter which club, affects what happens in the #Ethniki.
                  - Missing Fortounis, Mitroglou, Mantalos has hurt the team.
                  - In Greece everything happens a little later, it's more loose, which I must get used to.
                  - He’s enjoying Greece.

Comment

That's second last sentence is so Greek.

Comment

Kojak

If the coach of the team can't handle a personality like Holebas and must rely on Tzavellas or Valerianos type of players to keep the locker room, what does that say of the coach? And if for example Manolas and Sokratis are forced off the team, why would the likes of Fortounis choose to stick around? Ostracizing bigger names won't keep others in line, it will lead to a mass exodus of our better players.

Comment

It’s not a matter of forcing anyone off the team that’s not what I’m trying to say. Man Management is not about expelling players, it’s exactly what you said controlling the dressing room and when players like you mentioned Sokratis/ Manolas the pillars of the team can come out and rock the boat freely with stupid comments that says it all. What’s the solution I don’t know, I’m not a manager but I just don’t think it’s right to live in fear of a mass exodus because players need to be pulled in line and told some hard truths about their commitment. Every manager we get is just passing over a hand grenade to the next and the next till it finally explodes. Right now it won’t end well for Van’t Schip for no fault of his own.

Comment

• Don Giovanni
                          Don Giovanni commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I misunderstood. Well said.

Van't Schip nearly joined Ajax's management team this past summer, but he demanded more than they were willing to pay and chose to coach Greece instead. From what I understood, he was going to take on a post that was formerly held by Dennis Bergkamp in which he would assist youth team players in making the grade for the first team.

Comment

I think Sokratis is retiring after this campaign. I don’t know if we should look for his replacement now, but all I know is that Sokratis, Manolas and Fortounis should be in this team. They add quality and experience. Mitroglou should be a bench option. Alongside some talented and hungry youngsters the team can go places. But above all with the right attitude and passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean97 View Post
                            Speaking to Dutch press JVS stated:

- There's much gloom surrounding the #Ethniki.
                            - The focus is now on Qatar 2022.
                            - Any Greek player who stands out will get called up.
                            - Young players will be given priority.
                            - Some veterans will stay, others, their best days are behind them.
                            - Club loyalties within EPO no matter which club, affects what happens in the #Ethniki.
                            - Missing Fortounis, Mitroglou, Mantalos has hurt the team.
                            - In Greece everything happens a little later, it's more loose, which I must get used to.
                            - He’s enjoying Greece.

Comment

I’m glad he said it though I don’t think any other coach has said that. Real balls on his part for stating it.

Comment

Working...
                              X