• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECQ Finland vs Greece

It’s do or die for us after the disaster (yet again) with Armenia

Some new faces to our squad

Out - Bakasetas, Mitroglou, Donis, Durmishaj

In - Fetfatzidis, Vrousai, Pavlidis

I’m happy to see these three included, we need players like this.

I think we have overstocked on Defensive mids as always with no less than 5 chosen, worst of the lot... Samaris. I hope he does not start.

I want to see Fetfa on the left and Masouras on the right with Mantalos in the middle. Have Kolovos & Vrousai ready to go if it’s not working

I’m happy with the call ups. Especially no Bakasetas and the inclusion of Fetfa. There are definitely other players that to be looked at still. Like how Mitroglou wasn’t called up. I hope both Koulouris and Pavlidis have killer games, that way it pushes Mitroglou away. Not that I don’t want him but it’s time for others to step up and these 2 are in good form.

I wonder if Vrousai will play? Definitely a unique player and can provide some magic.

Comment

Can not believe our luck... Mantalos ruled out for these matches... I would seriously play Fetfa or call up Tachtsidis also, and play either as a dekari

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
        Can not believe our luck... Mantalos ruled out for these matches... I would seriously play Fetfa or call up Tachtsidis also, and play either as a dekari
        Fetfatzidis would be perfect as the dekari. Don’t think Tachtsidis will get called up. We also have Kolovos. He does ok for Greece. Much better than Bakasetas. Masouras can even play there.

Comment

It looks like Van't Schip will play a 4-3-3 and it seems Kourbelis will be among the starters. It's safe to presume that Samaris and Zeca will start alongside him. That would suggest we intend to concede the bulk of possession or purposefulness on the ball, to defend deep in our half, and to counter-attack. If you want Greece to hope for at best a 0-0 result, then this is the right approach.

Also, it appears Dimitris Giannoulis, a left-back for PAOK, and Dimitris Limnios, a right-winger also for PAOK, have been called-up. This means we now have three left-backs, again, and for some reason two more players who lack experience at a crucial junction. And did I mention they play for PAOK?

I hope Grammenos and the rest of the board are preparing resignation letters. Maybe PAOK will have an openings for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
            It looks like Van't Schip will play a 4-3-3 and it seems Kourbelis will be among the starters. It's safe to presume that Samaris and Zeca will start alongside him. That would suggest we intend to concede the bulk of possession or purposefulness on the ball, to defend deep in our half, and to counter-attack. If you want Greece to hope for at best a 0-0 result, then this is the right approach.

Also, it appears Dimitris Giannoulis, a left-back for PAOK, and Dimitris Limnios, a right-winger also for PAOK, have been called-up. This means we now have three left-backs, again, and for some reason two more players who lack experience at a crucial junction. And did I mention they play for PAOK?

I hope Grammenos and the rest of the board are preparing resignation letters. Maybe PAOK will have an openings for them.
            The Giannoulis call up dosent make sense. We have Stafylidis and Tsimikas. Seems as though he payed he’s way in. Limnios is a decent call up.

I do not want to see any of what you wrote in the first paragraph. Samaris-Zeca-Kourbelis midfield will get us no where. Why are should we defend against Finland? We should be fighting for the game and scoring as much as possible. Goal difference matters and we need to start scoring.

With inclusion of Fetfatzidis-Pavlidis-Vrousai I expect us to start scoring but with a midfield like that we will make it harder for ourselves. It’s better to have Bouchalakis and Pelkas with one of those 3 holding. Kourbelis would best to hold. Or you can have Bouchalakis hold and Zeca with Pelkas just a head. Zeca and Pelkas can press well and have energy.

Comment

He is a 3 left back type of coach and I said he would be. The minute he called up Bakakis - who had barely played this season, I knew. The stand out in his press conference for me was his belief we are missing passion - exactly what Grammenos thinks. He is a another puppet.

As for the PAOK dominance - it will continue. I notice they are looking at hiring Vryzas - this idiot will slowly become a thing again - the way Lybe did at AEK and Karagounis did at the EPO..

Comment

I don’t understand why so much negativity. We know he the coach isn’t at the level we need at the moment but I’m willing to give this guy a chance just like the previous managers. These group of players need to start performing at a higher level in order for the team to get a more competent coach. I don’t have a problem with Limnios call up but I do with Giannoulis.

Or else we will continue the same way no matter which coach comes in. I myself wasn’t a believer in this guy but I like what I heard. Especially when he said we need to get these group of players playing at a higher level. I’d like to see it happen first. Passion is definitely needed in this team again.

Comment

We need a win and I just don't see us scoring. Losing Fortounis was a big blow. Placing our faith in an unfit Fetfatzidis and untested players like Koulouris and Pavlidis doesn't inspire any confidence in me. Worse than that, we play Italy and Bosnia next month, games we will most certainly lose if we continue with inexperienced players.

Comment

Yes we do need a win. We just have to hope the players are on and do their best. We have the quality to do it. We need the spirit. We need to work hard. The players are the people who get the job done. It’s up them. Just like you said the players need to play at a higher level in order to get a decent coach in. It’s time they do that.

Samaris is experienced but is not good enough. What makes you think Mitroglou will help? Sure he would be helpful off the bench but he is very slow and doesn’t do enough in the build up play. All I’m trying to say is we have been through 5 years without a major tournament. It’s time to make some changes, it’s time to do things differently. The team needs defend together and attack together.

I just hope we win that’s the main thing.

Comment

Come on guys, calling the guy a puppet after what he said is ridiculous.

There was nothing wrong with what he said and in fact he was spot on. Not everything is fixed and wrong.

We are in a difficult spot, hope for the best, we ain’t getting any big name coach any time soon and our players needs to step up

Comment

Grammenos and others blame losses not on a debutante LB forced in at CB in a key game, not on 8 defensive players in an 11 at home. Not on the team not being able to pass to each other or registering more than 1 shot on target per game - they blame each loss on no 'passion.' I predicted we would see 3+ LBs in his first squad as evidence he is being told who to select. He himself was only selected because he would take orders - hence why Schuster left Athens the day he realised he would not be picking the squad a few years ago.

If you want positivism, put this in your pipe and smoke it - a broken clock is right twice a day. Grammenos is due a triumph just like the broken clock. A bit of luck can be passed off as tactical genius. There is a good chance the team may do well - just by luck. After all, we are not playing big teams - and they are ruining us. One of these days a shit team will play shit against us - we will meet a team like us with no direction (although this is getting rare) and we can score a goal or show 'passion' to keep the media happy.

Comment

It would be interesting to see him set up like this - appears he is known for being quite positive with his football so this form of set up would seemingly go against his philosophy. That being said, the ethniki seem to do best when we defend primarily so it could be a smart move

Comment

I'm disappointed in the direction. It's crunch time and Van't Schip decided to turn the senior team's attack into the u21 team's attack. A lack of experience up front and an inability to play passes out of the middle suggests to me we will struggle to produce and convert chances. We're going to make Finland look like Brazil.

Comment

Here's a run down on the first training the team had:

http://www.novasports.gr/podosfairo/...a-sti-douleia/

He had the players work closely together. The idea being they need to keep their lines tighter, thus denying opponents space, and instill the notion the players had to work for each other, to help cover for each other when mistakes are made. They also worked on circulating simple possession of the ball.

Stafylidis had to undergo an individual session. He picked up a slight knock, hence the inclusion of Giannoulis as a precaution.

Comment

Working...
                              X