ECQ Greece vs Liechtenstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECQ Greece vs Liechtenstein

The game takes place in Greece this Sunday 9:45 local time. I think we should play an extra DM for this one and make preparations for the Italy test. Van't Schip should spend time with his players studying how Armenia managed to hold Italy to a 1-1 score for 80 minutes, despite going down to 10 men at the 45th minute mark. He has to prepare for that match from now.

I don't know
    if you were being facetious or not, but playing an extra DM against LIECHTENSTEIN is not going to be a true barometer
    of how things are going to pan out against the AZZURRI. For all intents and purpose we're out of the Euros and only have
    pride to play for. I would start a more attacking, hopefully with Fetfa in the lineup, just to give the few people in the stands
    an entertaining night and install some semblance of confidence going forward and into the next campaign.

Comment

I was going to say Greece should play a 4-3-3. The middle should consist of Samaris, Zeca, and Bouchalakis, hence the extra DM. Kourbelis I think would be a better fit than Samaris, but Samaris may grow restless if he's kept sidelined and Van't Schip can't afford to alienate him. This allows Bouchalakis to play more as a CM rather than a DM. I don't know if it will work well between Samaris and Bouchalakis as I suspect both will shy away for their duties. We may need to play Pelkas to invigorate the attack, taking the pressure off Bouchalakis to produce the goods, and sub Samaris out if we struggle to play out of the defense, thus reverting back to the 4-2-3-1 formation we had against Finland.

Italy play a 4-3-3, so I think we'll need to adapt to them accordingly. The alternative is five at the back against Italy.

Comment

The 4-3-3 formation has 1 DM and 2 CMs. The 2 CMs are more attack heavy as they can create opportunities and make runs in the box. They also have to get back. The DM holds all game and plays the short and when needed long passes. All the midfielders should look to switch the play. Even the CBs should be looking to switch the play whenever possible.

I believe a player like Pelkas or Masouras should be the CM alongside Bouchalakis or Zeca and Samaris and/or Kourbelis should be the number 6 behind them. I don’t want to see 3 DMs altogether. It should be balanced.

Comment

You're approach is more balanced and would provide more attacking impetus, but I do think Greece has to begin preparing for Italy and we should try to figure out how to play a more defensive trio in the middle. There's a good chance we'll play 4-3-3 or 5-3-1-1 against Italy.

Comment

We need to accept reality....Greeks are not good football players, and lacking development on all levels far behind average nation's, and not even close to top level football countries. They look like high school players....end of story they suck.

Comment

The Euro 2004 team had about the same amount of talent.

Finland are second place and we're second last. It's not because they have better players. They have a consistent core, they play for one another, they believe in themselves, they play to their strengths, they minimize their weaknesses, and they rely on players who play at the highest levels, namely Pukki, to make the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                The Euro 2004 team had about the same amount of talent.

Finland are second place and we're second last. It's not because they have better players. They have a consistent core, they play for one another, they believe in themselves, they play to their strengths, they minimize their weaknesses, and they rely on players who play at the highest levels, namely Pukki, to make the difference.
                2004 gave Greece the opportunity to really do something great....become a top soccer nation. What happened instead was a slow slippery slope to becoming awful, and that's what we're now. Reaper was right years back....we don't develop skilled players going forward. It all starts in the league, 70 percent of the clubs play 11 players being the ball. The majority of the games are dreadful to watch, disgusting actually. Then we have the National level running a popcorn stand. At the end of the day....this will be long decades of dark days ahead.

Comment

I would only play 1 dm vs lichty, if that..

We must have some pride. All attack. We need goals, not to qualify, but to show we are not the Kuwaiti national side circa 1980s..

The team is already dead. No soul, little to no skill and talent, an insidious EPO behind the whole thing and a Greek media reporting on the whole absurd ballet with all the integrity and veracity of a 1950s Soviet provincial paper.

Comment

I agree we should just attack. Like the game against Hungary in 2016. We had CMs and FBs bombing forward to score and be options. We need to do that against Lichtenstein. We are now out of the Euros. No point playing conservative and defend the whole game. We defended well against Finland. If we can put a bit more emphasis in attack this game with quality players than we look like a decent team. We were very clueless in attack and didn’t know what to do. It dosent help when you fumble the ball or misplace passes.

We should really have 3 pure CMs in the middle. Who know how to attack and defend. Or at least 1 CAM, 1CM and 1DM. Just to balance it out and not get caught out easily but also to have numbers and creativity going forward. Zeca, Pelkas and Bouchalakis would be fine.

We would get a bit more out of Pelkas centrally. Bouchalakis and Zeca can interchange at the holding position. We also shouldn’t be so structured. The players should have free reign in attack.
                    Last edited by Dean97; 09-07-2019, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Maybe you're right Dean. Pelkas should do a much better job in the dekari role than Kolovos and I think he would help take some of the pressure off Bouchalakis in terms of creating some sort of flow and rhythm to our attack. I think we should eventually switch to a second DM late in the game, but only if we manage to get a lead on the scoreboard. That will give Samaris a chance to stretch his legs.

Koulouris should start again, but we need to get him better service. Masouras and Stafylidis didn't impress with their crossing last game. Tsimikas needs to start. Probably better to play Kolovos on the right. He can offer an aerial threat if Tsimikas or Masouras can get balls into the box. Koulouris could him free him up with clever movement. Alternatively, we can start Pavlidis and Vrousai, but I suspect they will have a hard time scoring against a defense that has parked the bus. They, much like Masouras and Kolovos, do better attacking when space is available to get in behind the defense.

Edit: And yes Greece can, albeit very remotely, still qualify. It will require that Finland loses to Italy, Bosnia and us, meanwhile we would need to win our remaining games, including against Italy. I think our chances to qualify aren't realistic, but stranger things have happened.

Comment

I wonder what he is going to do in this game. Is he going to drastically change the squad or is he going to make 1 or 2 changes. I just hope going forward we reward good performances and teach a lesson to players who had bad performances. For examples Kolovos and Kourbelis should be benched and Vrousai and Pavlidis should start.

If we were to keep the same formation I’d put Zeca in Kourbelis place and Fetfatzidis in Kolovos place.

Comment

What channels have the game in greece?

Comment

any word on our lineup for this?

Comment

fetfat playing

Comment

Working...
                              X