Ninis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only market left for him is the supermarket.

Comment

All I can say, and I think I speak on behalf of everyone is that we still latch onto him. We still are hoping for something good to happen with him. We all know his talents and what he can do on the field. He did have his limitations such as his size. But we can all agree on his day he is the best Greek footballer. I’ve read Reaper saying he can be a Xavi type player, I’ve read Don saying he and Fortounis are the best Greek players, I’ve read Amorgo saying the few games he has played in the middle for Greece we look like a completely different and better team. I’ve said he and Fetfatzidis are the most creative players Greece have seen. It’s such a shame how his career has turned out - playing in the 2nd division of Israel, being a free agent and getting offers from the Greek 2nd division. You can’t get any lower than this. We have been keeping tabs on him since 18 until now, possibly even younger than 18.

Possibly the biggest Greek football tragedy of all time. I believe Reaper is right he should just retire.
      Last edited by Dean97; 09-14-2019, 01:54 AM.

Comment

It's up there with Hatzipanagis not been allowed to play for Greece in his prime

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
          It's up there with Hatzipanagis not been allowed to play for Greece in his prime
          Yes another fantastic and talented player who got unnoticed. Can’t believe people didn’t know about him. Possibly the best Greek player of all time.

Comment

Hatzipanagis made a name for himself in Greece at least. Ninis did for a time and then he became a nomad. He is physically too small and weak; for all his talents, he's too prone to injury. And in the end, he's made unwise career choices. All the signs now point to a stay in Israel at this point. I can't understand it myself, but it's his choice and he's wasting whatever few viable years he has potentially left. At least Fetfatzidis got smart and tried to get his career back on track. Now he's a national team player again. It's Ninis' loss.

Comment

Just seen footage of Ninis training at Agia Kosma with the Greek NT head of performance guy... How this kid is not with a club at any decent level is a crime... dunno how he does it. He looked in tip top shape and his work with the ball was excellent

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
                Just seen footage of Ninis training at Agia Kosma with the Greek NT head of performance guy... How this kid is not with a club at any decent level is a crime... dunno how he does it. He looked in tip top shape and his work with the ball was excellent
                I get nervous every time i see his topic bumped.. expecting his next stop - the Somali Second Division.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post

I get nervous every time i see his topic bumped.. expecting his next stop - the Somali Second Division.

Comment

I honestly can’t believe he can’t sign for a club in the GSL or Cyprus Legaue at least. I just don’t get it...

Comment

He might sign next season when Panathinaikos is in the fourth division.

Comment

His story in his own words. Part 1. Stunning.

https://athletestories.gr/i-istoria-...meros-1%ce%bf/

Points that stick out.
                        • Victor Munoz is a highly intelligent man who was light years ahead of the Greeks, this quote of his sums up his logic that seperates him from the usual Greek - 'he needs more experience' garbage: ''I want him with the first team," he Munoz said. And when my coach had reasonably expressed doubts about my age, the Spaniard had replied: "There is no old and young in football. There is one who can and one who cannot . ”
                        • Ninis always had a delicate character.
                        • This bullshit about his stomach injury was just that, bullshit. He was not over trained too young. He had a problem, had surgery and he was as good as new all in the space of a few months.
                        • Both Ten Cate and Munoz realised his immense talent.

Comment

Part 2:

https://athletestories.gr/i-istoria-...-mou-meros-2o/

His memory is remarkable. The story tragic.

My take away from both parts.

Hugely talented obviously. Village mentality. Hugely naive. At no point - shit move after shit move does he think - let me get a good manager who gets his players good contracts. It seems he needed support - both mental and career wise - but either shunned it or didn't have the brains to find it. Skibbe shat on him.

Many similarities to Fetfatzidis - they even look alike. Both have confidence issues and both have found themselves in environments where they are unwanted - either by the fans or coach or president. Both avoided the the one league imo that would have suited them - Spain.

I hope there is a good ending for lad. He was not ready for his fame and Greece structurally was not ready for him either. In the future Greece will have better stadia, more professionalism and perhaps less violence. That environment will nurture these types - the type that has a delicate personality but massive talent.

Comment

I think the big problem was the changes that happened in football tactically. Ninis gets into it a bit. The shift really took hold in 2011. He describes how he wasn't playing as a dekari anymore, but like an oxtari. That's when Ninis' career starts to go downward despite coming off a resoundingly successful season in 2010.

It's why Ronaldino was sacrificed at AC Milan by 2012, even though AC Milan won the league the title the season before. Sneijder too was not the same player he was the season before when he won the treble with Inter and scored 4-5 goals as he led the Netherlands to the World Cup final in 2010. By 2011, Inter could not afford to play him without exposing their defense. They needed to replace him with someone who could press and prevent balls from being playing over the top of their high defensive line. About 2012, suddenly Pirlo type players, deep-lying playmakers, reigned supreme. They allowed others to play higher and press to win back possession, while Pirlo recycled the ball. Often times these players themselves were very good at winning the ball and pressing opponents. Xavi was an early precursor of that. Gerrard was another example after he modeled his game on that of Xabi Alonso and Paul Scholes. So was Schweinsteiger. More and more, the regista developed into an all action midfielder, so much so that even Pirlo wasn't fit enough for the role. Even Ozil eventually fell out of favor to Modric at Real Madrid by 2012/13. Ozil was Europe's top assist maker three seasons running and they sacrificed him for Modric. That's how big a change it was where a player like that could be sacrificed and not be missed.

The other reason was the emergence of wingers who cut inside to score. Robben, Ribery, Cristiano, Messi, etc, were the best players in the game by that point. With deep-lying playmakers and wingers who could cut inside to score, suddenly the dekari wasn't needed. We also saw a lot of anti-dekaris emerge with renewed emphasis now placed on pressing these deep-lying playmakers. For example, when Guardiola was in charge of Bayern, he lost to Dortmund the first couple of times he played them. Finally he made a drastic change, took on a more defensive shape to start the game, and played Javi Martinez to man-mark Gundogan. Until then, Klopp always had the better of Guardiola. So he played a Fuster type player in that role.

That big tactical shift kind of left Ninis looking a little anachronistic, not quite fitting into a proper position/role on the pitch and having to adapt to something different.

I also think Ninis isn't being honest with himself about his lack of physical ability. He's small and slow, easily beaten in challenges for the ball. And I think injuries did dull his pace, agility, and acceleration too. He doesn't twist and turn as effortlessly as he once did when he was still young and limber (before the surgeries and ageing). He's a player with amazing skill and ability, superb intelligence, but he has physical limitations and frankly, he suffers too many injuries to be relied upon as a regular performer. You have to build around a player like him. You can't build around someone who is injured every other month.

Comment

I’ll be reading the interview in detail over the coming days.

Where does this leave Ninis now, he done with football? Still think he can offer to many Greek teams at least

Comment

We can all say what the reason was for his downfall. But the top players are the ones that work hard day in and day out. No matter how much the game has changed or how many injuries. It all comes down to talent and the willingness to work hard. I question his determination as a footballer. He had talent and had massive momentum in his younger years. But what did Ninis do to improve his limitations? Messi is the same size as he is. If not smaller. As a footballer it’s an ongoing process. You can’t stop working hard or rest on your laurels.

But I don’t think Ninis was all that good to begin with. At least mentally. Everyone has talent but in the end hard work beats talent. He was certainly head and shoulders above most if not all Greeks in terms of talent, ability and intelligence on the pitch. We don’t know how hard he worked but in the end this how you make it to the top. Ninis has the talent but I don’t think he worked hard enough to be the player we hoped he could be. If you want to be the best you have to adapt and keep on grinding. Preparation is the only luck you need.

Fetfatzidis on the other hand has recently been in good form and has somehow has become the most important player for Aris and proving he still has something to give. I’m not questioning Ninis talents but I’m question his mental strength and the same can be said for Fetfatzidis. Or any footballer with talent for that matter. It’s not easy to be a professional footballer. You have want it more that anything and want to be the best period. That’s why C.Ronaldo is who he is and has done what he has done. It’s simple, he wanted it more. I believe Fetfatzidis and Ninis were the most talented players Greece have seen in the last 10-15 years. They never progressed though so it’s kind of hard to make a point of them being the best Greece have seen.

I look at a player like Masouras from Olympiakos who isn’t the most talented player. But I believe he is the most hardest working non talented Greek player. He clearly has worked on everything in his game. He has to work twice as hard as others who are more naturally gifted. Even on the pitch he shows that he can hang with the big boys. If Ninis or Fetfatzidis had the determination of CR7 than they would be playing for Real or Barcelona. Unfortunately they didn’t or don’t have the same drive and seemingly want things to be easier, which in reality isn’t the way you make it. As I said it isn’t easy as a professional footballer. There are many ups ands downs in football such as politics, injuries etc. But it’s on the individual to make it happen for himself. It’s easier said than done. Some people want other things in life and I guess have a great lifestyle is more important than being the best at what you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X