Other Greeks Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyriakos has become something of a forgotten man, but he has fallen out of favor at Hamburg and is looking to move on in January. His father says there is interest in Italy, Spain, MLS and Arabia. There's also a chance he returns to Greece with PAOK.

Comment

I honestly think he need to go places like US,China, Middle East & Australia. His knee won’t last in a European league IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
        I honestly think he need to go places like US,China, Middle East & Australia. His knee won’t last in a European league IMO
        If he could stay on the pitch, he’d be a legend in MLS

Comment

Triadis scores in India.. by the looks of him, he seems to have a Heart of Darkness/Kurtz situation going on..

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
            I think he should take up golf. Less chance of getting injured.

Comment

Im amazed he still has knees..

18/19 Knee Problems Apr 18, 2019 Jun 16, 2019 59 days
              18/19 Cartilage Damage Jul 21, 2018 Mar 7, 2019 229 days
              17/18 Knee Problems Mar 29, 2018 Apr 2, 2018 4 days
              16/17 Knee Surgery Nov 14, 2016 Jan 2, 2017 49 days
              16/17 Knee Problems Sep 22, 2016 Sep 26, 2016 4 days
              15/16 Tear in a joint capsule Feb 25, 2016 Mar 7, 2016 11 days
              14/15 Knee Problems Aug 14, 2014 Aug 21, 2014 7 days
              13/14 Knee Problems Apr 17, 2014 Apr 21, 2014 4 days
              13/14 Medial Collateral Ligament Injury Nov 7, 2013 Nov 21, 2013 14 days
              12/13 Knee Surgery Nov 29, 2012 Oct 17, 2013 322 days

Comment

Fountas player of the year at Rapid. 11 goals in 15 games.

https://www.sport24.gr/football/Elli...s.5677840.html

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                  Fountas player of the year at Rapid. 11 goals in 15 games.

https://www.sport24.gr/football/Elli...s.5677840.html
                  This should mean that he is included in the call ups in March. I’ve always been a fan of his. It’s great to see he has improved and scoring.

Comment

He certainly deserves a closer look.

Comment

Where would you play him though? He has been playing striker and is usually known to be a false 9. He has got great pace and that’s why he has played many times on the wing.

The only problem I have with him is height. He’s not going to win in the air when he’s marked. He has a small frame aswell. We could use him as an impact sub to add players in the attack. He and Donis can be useful off the bench.

Comment

I think we should probably play a front two depending on the opponent. We should try to score as much as possible against weaker teams. Fountas would competing with Pavlidis, Koulouris, Masouras, Donis, and Bakasetas for a spot. Right now, Pavlidis is our best option to lead the line and I would think Bakasetas is likeliest to complement him in a front two given his recent form for club and country. After the summer, that may change, but this is what I'm seeing now.

I still think Mitroglou has something to offer too. He's still our most physically imposing forward and he offers the biggest presence inside and outside the box. He's great on the ball and reminds me a lot of Samaras, dare I say he's even better than him. He'd be very useful from the bench if he's willing to take on that kind of role. Van't Schip will need to convince him that he has a big role to play still.

Lamprou could play there too, but given the number of options we have in that position, I think he'd be likelier to play on the wing or attacking midfield.

Right now we have a lot of young players who are showing many positives. Mavropanos, Pavlidis, and Retsos look to be the best of the new crop coming through, but all need time to develop still. Hatzidiakos, Limnios, and Tsimikas also have what it takes to reach the elite levels. If Fortounis continues improving, especially in the physical sense, and Manolas decides to come back, we will have a team capable of qualifying for the World Cup and deserving of a place in the finals in my opinion. It would be nice if Sokratis and Mitroglou continued to play for Greece, but they will likely need to accept roles on the bench moving forward. Both have a lot to offer still and should not be discounted.

The only area where I think we remain weak is at right-back and central midfield. These remain serious problem areas for us. Right now we are compensating through the system we have adopted. We are not Barcelona and we don't have a De Jong or Busquets anchoring the team, but the approach Van't Schip has adopted is letting us move the ball more effectively.

Comment

I agree Don. Right back and Centre mid is a big problem for us. One because we haven’t got players that are effective enough and two we haven’t got enough depth. Hopefully Vasiliadis turns out to be a plus for us and hopefully Baldock joins the team. But I’m not going to waste my time with Baldock as we don’t know what his decision will be.

JVS has adopted a system where it overshadows our weak areas with good passing and movement.

Back on topic, Fountas can be effective in all the attacking roles in my opinion. He’s fast off the mark and lately he has shown he can finish. I do think Donis is a better player than him but Fountas is fulfilling the promise he had when he was a youngster at AEK. Having Donis and Fountas upfront can cause headaches for the opposing defence.

I see Koulouris as Gekas type player. A pure poacher and can use his head. I don’t think there is room for Mitroglou anymore. Especially now that we are rebuilding and Pavlidis is in great form.

Comment

I would like to have Mitroglou off the bench. He's very good at holding up the ball and playing as a target man in the box. There will be games where we struggle in the final third, so he's useful option when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                              I would like to have Mitroglou off the bench. He's very good at holding up the ball and playing as a target man in the box. There will be games where we struggle in the final third, so he's useful option when that happens.
                              I would like to see Pavlidis in that role now. Also Pavlidis is more versatile than Mitroglou as he has played on the left wing. If Mitroglou can show some sort of form then I will be open to him being in the team. I don’t think there is any use of having both in the team. Donis at striker adds something different. Also Koulouris adds his own unique style in that position. Better to have different styles then having many of the same in my opinion.

Comment

Pavlidis deserves to start, probably alongside a more supportive forward like Donis, Bakasetas, Fountas, Fortounis, or Vrousaj, if not on his own up front. I do think Greece needs two forwards against weaker opposition because we don't score enough and having two front men who can put the goals away helps.

Koulouris is more of a goal-poacher, in the same sort of mold as Gekas. Against strong sides I don't think he'll have an impact unless he can prove otherwise. He needs to show more improvement in France. I also don't think he would be very compatible alongside Pavlidis. I feel one or the other should play, not both as one may impede the other.

Mitroglou is a useful option from the bench for big games. His size, experience and quality can make a difference. That's how PSV are currently using him and I think that role suits him for Greece too, but I feel he needs to hit his stride at PSV. The longer he goes without scoring, the less justification can be given for a call-up. I still think he belongs on the team, but he has to justify a place given the amount of competition. He can't rest on his laurels.

Comment

Working...
                                X