PAO SL GAMES DISCUSSION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
    You guys fought bravely. Think Perea could be special one day. Has everything to succeed.
    Perea has been a breath of fresh air. I remember when we signed him, pao fans were mocking him because of a youtube video that was posted to supplement his scouting report. If we haven't learnt already, you don't draw conclusions from watching youtube clips. I remember watching a video of zeca before we signed him, whereby he was showing close control and blowing past players. Mind you, he was used on the flanks back then. Eventually we realised, the guy is skill-less though had tremendous off the ball qualities. A position change followed and the rest is history.

Perea deserves a start for his enthusiasm, passion and work-rate. He has the pace, remains to be seen if he has the skill. Similarly to how anastasiou utilised karelis pace by partnering him with the more creative and skilled berg, i'd have perea playing off macheda and have him try get in behind. The italian is good on the ball, has some passing ability but isn't a scorer. These two could compliment each other well. Assuming you can find good partnerships, it goes a long way.

That and finding suitable roles. For instance, donis needs to realise that the physical demands that come from playing on the flanks, are too much for bouzoukis. He'll just end up burning him. On a positive note, the dutch defender we signed looked good and composed.

Comment

Originally posted by Val View Post

Similarly to how anastasiou utilised karelis pace by partnering him with the more creative and skilled berg, i'd have perea playing off macheda and have him try get in behind. The italian is good on the ball, has some passing ability but isn't a scorer. These two could compliment each other well. Assuming you can find good partnerships, it goes a long way.
      Totally agree, this has worked previously with Papadopoulos & Konstantinou, Karelis & Berg.

One thing is for sure the Portuguese are doing very well in developing players, that even someone like Perea who didnt make the cut so to speak at FCP and with no professional first team starts is able to shine in our league.

Comment

Originally posted by Val View Post

Who calls you crazy and delusional? No this is very much a thing but i can't say for sure if it's relevant to us. What i do know though, is that the team ran and could string some passes together in the friendlies and in the games with aris and ofi, it's almost as if their souls left their bodies. Okay so we don't have the most talented group but i thought there was too much space jam about those performances. My other theory is what i've said in the past, that the players were giving it their all in preseason, whilst the window was still open, to escape the mess that is alafouzos pao.
        Who knows what goes on with PAO these days....things get drastic week to week.

Comment

I saw the loss to Aris. Panathinaikos weren't that bad and could have drawn level in the first half, but they had four problems which swung the balance in Aris' favor.

First, the way Zahid tried to play out of the back was asking for trouble. I don't know who he thinks he is, but there's no shame in playing a simple pass to the keeper and then clearing the lines. Frankly, Panathinaikos should never have signed him. Bouzoukis is a better option to operate in that central role and I'd let Perea and Hatzigiovannis/Hatzitheodoridis operate on the wings.

Second, Insua had a very poor game. It was Insua's poor touch that allowed Aris to break for the second goal. He again attempted a clumsy challenge against the fresh legged Swede Aris had just subbed on which again allowed Aris to break, that time to score their fourth. The loss of Kourbelis I think was a big reason for the way Aris was able to run away with the game.

Third, Hatzigiovannis needs to smarten up. He was the one who put the cross into Macheda that nearly clawed PAO back on level terms in the first half. That was an excellent play. But he was too selfish on a later play. There was a shot he had in the second half which he put on goal, it wasn't a bad effort but he really needed to play a cross into Hatzitheodoridis who was completely wide open inside the box. Had he made the cross, Panathinaikos would have been on the scoreboard. Moreover, his decision to hold out on signing a contract was stupid and I think it's that sort of attitude that has resulted in Panathinaikos sandbagging it so far in the season. Too many of the players don't seem to have theirs hearts invested into the club and he's one of them. He's a good player, but he to get his head right.

Finally, Fetfatzidis was unplayable. Panathinaikos needed to put more men on him and they needed to take a more physical approach against him. He ran riot.

I saw other issues, like Dioudis coming off his line and outside his area in woeful attempt to close down Ideye who nearly scored after a long ball allowed him past PAO's last defender. Dioudis very stupidly put his hands up and he's lucky Ideye didn't hit them otherwise Dioudis would have been sent off at a rather early stage of the game. Panathinaikos for years has had problems with goalkeepers coming off their lines and making needless, costly errors as a result. Dioudis seems to be operating well within that tradition. There are problems all over the pitch, but the four mentioned above were the reasons why PAO failed to score and why failed copped four goals.

As for Aris, they grew in confidence as the game progressed. They played like a proper team and played for each other. When someone scored, they were quick to point to others to give them credit for their goals. They celebrated their goals as a team, the bench included. They have a real team spirit that appeared to be lacking on the other end of the pitch. And in Fetfatzidis they have a player who can open up games for them. Against Panathinaikos, he was made to look like Maradona.

Comment

Finally a win!

A lot more cohesion about the side. Zahid playing in his natural position, will take the plaudits and deservedly so, though it has to be said that he had a lot of space to work. When you have a player like him that's comfortable on the ball, you need at least another to follow suit. Mollo doesn't take many risks though he helps to retain the ball and he's the one zahid was looking to link up with. Bouzoukis wasn’t really involved until after the break. Johansson who had a stinker in the first 45 was asking a lot of bouzoukis defensively who was playing on the same flank. With the swede drastically improving in the second and the opposition’s threat dissipating, bouzoukis played with more freedom. He drifted inwards, got on the ball and began his influence. The challenge for donis will be to find a line-up where both bouzoukis and zahid co-exist in the middle, without overthrowing the side’s balance. If so, we’ll play our best football. This includes our striker macheda returning. We missed his ability to hold up the ball and link up play. Unfortunately it seems that perea has the touch of a baby elephant. Shame because the physicals are exceptional. Kolovos who replaced him, didn’t do any better. He was never really any good, only now he’s much slower. Just a terrible footballer, if you even wish to call him that. On a positive note, our dutch recruit at CB, who’s name I’m going to have to learn, looks a real find but not for the reasons you think. I can’t recall ever having a defender that can dribble out of defence with such ease and efficiency. He got forward on a few occasions and almost scored a solo goal lol

Comment

In his last press conference Donis has made some harsh statements about some of the younger players who had decent game time last year - (harsh for most except Chatzigiovanis as that appears deserved)

However can anyone explain to me what the issue with Chatzitheodoridis is? what is his actual position? As far as i was aware in his entire development in England he was a left back and wing back.

For Donis he seems to just slot in everywhere else except left/wing back? Still perform quite well out of position, yet Insua has this lock on the left back position even when out of form. I just don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kojak View Post
                In his last press conference Donis has made some harsh statements about some of the younger players who had decent game time last year - (harsh for most except Chatzigiovanis as that appears deserved)

However can anyone explain to me what the issue with Chatzitheodoridis is? what is his actual position? As far as i was aware in his entire development in England he was a left back and wing back.

For Donis he seems to just slot in everywhere else except left/wing back? Still perform quite well out of position, yet Insua has this lock on the left back position even when out of form. I just don't get it.
                I will try and make sense of it....not that I care anymore until the team changes hands. Donis and the gang are here to hold the team together for Alafouzo. Keep it going while he scrambles to pay down the debts, and develop low budget players. To simply put he's just another low level player they need to work with. At the end of the day, the upper management down to Donis don't have goals of winning championships and playing in Europe. They're like school teachers in a 8th grade class room. Main objective here for them, just get through the season.

Comment

0-1 Xanthi.

Xanthi could have a few. No way their budget is bigger than yours.

Comment

Xanthi had less than 60% pass completion, saw only 28% of the ball, and had one shot on target... and they won.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                      Xanthi had less than 60% pass completion, saw only 28% of the ball, and had one shot on target... and they won.
                      But that doesn't tell the story of the game. Xanthi were playing on the break and they could have easily have 3. Read this:

https://hellas-football.com/forum/su...9-general-chat

Comment

• That's even more alarming. The fact they were only able to beat Panionios so far and the manner of their losses speaks very urgently of the problems they face. If Donis and Dabizas can't get this team to do better than this, they'll be battling out at the end of the season to avoid the drop. Last season they were only four points above the relegation zone and this season they're struggling even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                          That's even more alarming. The fact they were only able to beat Panionios so far and the manner of their losses speaks very urgently of the problems they face. If Donis and Dabizas can't get this team to do better than this, they'll be battling out at the end of the season to avoid the drop. Last season they were only four points above the relegation zone and this season they're struggling even more.
                          Just seems there is no real plan. The team has many passengers. Owner constantly pretending he is going to leave all the time. Very few fans attend games - and those games are at the OAKA or at Apollon's ground and maybe soon they will be back at Leoforos. Just chaos. If they had stuck purely to the young Greek model I think they would be doing better now. Letting young lads play their hearts out in the hope they win a starting game next week is the purest form of meritocracy there is.

Comment

• I think Dabizas and Donis looked at the trends in the EPL and decided to follow that in building this squad. I also think Kourbelis will need to play at CB, his proper position, and that PAO will need to sign more defensive midfielders comes January.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post

But that doesn't tell the story of the game. Xanthi were playing on the break and they could have easily have 3. Read this:

https://hellas-football.com/forum/su...9-general-chat
                              So then how many should PAO have scored?

The story of the game is Xanthi had 28% possession and had 2.5 chances, scored one that arguably came from offside. PAO had all the play but couldn’t score.

Every team in the world misses chances (if you’re gona go miss for miss)

Comment

• Originally posted by Amorgos View Post

So then how many should PAO have scored?

The story of the game is Xanthi had 28% possession and had 2.5 chances, scored one that arguably came from offside. PAO had all the play but couldn’t score.

Every team in the world misses chances (if you’re gona go miss for miss)
                                Well its football tactics. Xanthi had 3 easy chances and put one of the away. When you play on the break - the idea is allowing the opposing side to control the tempo and possession and when you are on the break you get one on one situations with the opposing keeper.

PAO had tonnes of the ball and lots of shots in a crowded Xanthi half - but the 3 chances of Xanthi were ridiculously easy to score from. I don't see the 2.5 chances. All 3 were easy. Two were mishits by the xanthi players - PAO didn't even defend them and the final one was put away like a bullet. PAO had some easy, most not so easy. Xanthi with the better tactics for me.

Donis for me stupid not to give Pereira and Macheda 90 mins - if he had, I suspect the result could have been different. No one on earth was shocked Kolovos didn't score. I rate Vergos above too.

Xanthi rightful winners imo. Possession and shots don't win games - potency does.

Comment

Working...
                                X