FRIENDLY MATCHES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t think PAO will be affected by Kourbelis absence. They have many young talented players that know each other from the youth squads and most are very good friends. There is this unity that they have and this passion for the shirt that is undeniable. That’s why we have seen positive results from them against decent sides that are better than them. Kourbelis adds leadership and experience. Aswell as the few foreigners they have. I sort of envy and mostly admire PAO for implementing and trusting Greek youth something that I wish Olympiakos would do a bit more of. Also PAO have to go through this route especially with the economic situation.
    Last edited by Dean97; 08-05-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Highly impressive:

Comment

That was not offside

Comment

Originally posted by Dikefale11 View Post
          That was not offside
          Not even close to offside. Reminds me when PAOK were flagged offside when they were about to finish Fener off in Poli or when all these mysterious offsides were given against Asteras when they played Besiktas in the Europa. Seems the turks have a very useful referee service when playing Greek teams.

Comment

Saw that they were getting thumped 2-0, glad they came back. I wonder if they can crack the top 5 if they stay healthy.

Comment

Not sure how many of those guys that played for besiktas are starters but we got on the ball and they were happy to sit. This was good test because the majority of the games this season will present similar obstacles.

They exposed us on the break. Donis needs to consider having 1 fullback stay back whilst the other attacks. We also need more protection for the back line. A midfield of donis, zahid and kolovos is not going to provide much resistance. Evidently besiktas second goal has no one closing down the shooter. Kourbelis provided more balance in the 2nd but we need another defensive centre.

Being that the game was played in their half, there were positives. We created chances, mostly through zahid. Apart from the disallowed goal, chatz hit the post, the ref turned a blind eye to a clear foul on donis in the box, kampetsis missed his kick and macheda fluffed two easy ones. On the later, the Italian didn’t look too confident which is concerning. I thought our pressing was good once we sniffed the chance to take the game. We also got plenty of guys in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Soprano76 View Post
                Saw that they were getting thumped 2-0, glad they came back. I wonder if they can crack the top 5 if they stay healthy.
                PAOs first priority is to reduce the debts down to 10 million, finalizing agreements for the proposed new stadium....and continue to build a solid foundation. Top 5 is no big deal in the Greek league....plus PAO is suspended from competing in Europe. Championship dynasties and CL appearances is the future for PANATHINAIKOS.
                Last edited by JVC; 08-12-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I dunno if top 5 is no big deal... lands you a ticket to Europe and means you’ve accomplished something in your season, you saw what happened to PAO last season. With the league dropping to 14 teams and the ridiculous play off system coming, top 5 means a lot.

I believe from next season PAO can look to qualify for Europe

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
                    I dunno if top 5 is no big deal... lands you a ticket to Europe and means you’ve accomplished something in your season, you saw what happened to PAO last season. With the league dropping to 14 teams and the ridiculous play off system coming, top 5 means a lot.

I believe from next season PAO can look to qualify for Europe
                    It would be for this team if in fact they finished 4th on a small budget, and ended up qualifying for Europe. But the fact is even if they won the championship, the sixth place team would end up taking their European qualifying spot. So staying motivated will be a problem for the players under these circumstances.

Comment

3 nil win over Xanthi today....team looked impressive.

Comment

^^In the final third they did. Our defence transition is worrisome. It will cost us points.

I'm loving the green top with white shorts and socks. We should keep that.

Comment

Originally posted by Val View Post
                          ^^In the final third they did. Our defence transition is worrisome. It will cost us points.

I'm loving the green top with white shorts and socks. We should keep that.
                          I agree. At this point, the fact that the team is looking better on the field compared to last season, and financially more stable is a step in the right direction. The defensive side of the ball needs work no doubt....I'm guessing they will revisit that issue during the break. Let's see how they develop the first half.

Comment

Working...
                          X