PAOK vs Ajax - CL Third Qual Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Dino

Pelkas was rather tame. He did make a good run forward finding space inside the box, as did Akpom, but Jaba was selfish and wasted the chance completely. Pelkas' only other highlight moment was from a direct set-piece, but he couldn't get the shot down and Onana had the corner covered even if he had got onto the net. On the goal Leonardo scored, Pelkas made a great run into the back post. Clearly he was there to put the ball away, but Leonardo' header got the job done just the same. It was a well crafted set-piece.

Ajax was too good. The only PAOK player who could really create problems for Ajax was Akpom. His physical strength and ability on the ball made a difference. Giannoulis actually scored an own goal--Ziyech didn't score. But Giannoulis redeemed himself with an assist for Akpom's goal.

Comment

If by some miracle PAOK win in Amsterdam, they'll play either the Cypriot or Azeri champions in the next round.

Comment

Paok missed a chance at 2-1 to extend their lead. They had the momentum and ajax looked lost. Pelkas (was never a fan of his) should've done better with that effort. That 15-20 min or so is why paok should be favourites for the title. And if they can bring that level for longer periods, then they deserve to play UCL. Unfortunately for them, ajax is too good and too experienced (current core has been battle tested over the last two years). They can raise their level, when required. They can press for longer periods. They'll pin you back and if you lack experience defending at this level, they'll force you into unforced errors. They come away with two away goals without having really scored. Varela on that 2nd absolutely **** himself.

Really liked what i saw from Akpom. Apart from the obvious, he doesn't mind the physicality that comes with playing up front. Very didier like.

Esiti seems like a nice 'kofti'.

Comment

3-2 loss in Amsterdam... Against a good Ajax side, PAOK had to contend with a very biased referee who did everything he could to keep Ajax ahead. 3 penalties, I haven’t seen the 3rd but 1/2 is questionable

In the match, every decision when Ajax way and at the end it’s influenced this one

Comment

They will be playing some Slovenian team next round... PAOK should at least make it to the UEL groups.

Comment

Yes, they must pass. there is a chance we can hit a bumper crop of coefficients this season. It is vital AEK, PAOK and Oly all score more victories. Atromitos tomorrow is a big game. I think they have the fight to do it.

Comment

Totally fixed....PAOK had no chance advancing. The old boys club decided this one long before match day.

Comment

Originally posted by JVC View Post
                  Totally fixed....PAOK had no chance advancing. The old boys club decided this one long before match day.
                  It did indeed look strange, especially second half.

Comment

I watched it live. The first seemed a penalty, the third dubious. I guess it comes down to how physical the game is allowed to get and this ref was blowing quite a bit. Regarding the second, I heard somewhere that there's some bullshit new rule where even if it's unintentional, ball to hand results in a spot kick. This tells me that UEFA are going all out to favour the bigger sides, who house the better players; the better ball retainers and creative players. They know the game will most likely be played in the inferior side's half and opportunities to call spot kicks of this nature will arise. Off-course penalties have long been the weapon for these organisations. It allows them to keep the order. They couldn't have last year's semi-finalists go out in qualifying.

An ajax side who though were clearly superior, were vulnerable. That keeper of theirs onana doesn't offer any assurance. By the end you could see the relief on tadic and co. faces. Paok pushed them and for this reason, paok fans should be proud of their side. They have a good side and should do well in the europa league. Biseswar is a stud. If only paok had another like him instead of that mental midget pelkas. Just like in the first leg, he missed another easy chance. The other big chance for paok was on a breakaway, where they had like 4 v 1, though jaba's control messed up the initial move and when the ball fell to pelkas, he failed to find his teammates in the box. I was reading some comments from gazzetta suggesting that paschalakis may have earned himself a transfer with that performance and perhaps they’re right but for me, similarly to onana, he doesn't feel me with confidence. In other words, he is capable of the best and the worst. Akpom who was very good in the first leg, didn't play well. I was waiting for him to hold up the ball and help his side gain some ground but it never happened. Ajax's defenders contained him well though. New signing Martinez is going to be a very good defender but he seems a douche, think ramos like. On a positive note for paok, esiti is a very good find. I think they should look to improve their bench. They need better options than limnios.
                    Last edited by Val; 08-14-2019, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X