PAOK's Greeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAOK's Greeks

I had the chance to see the Aris-PAOK match that recently ended two all.

Limnios had played a portion of the match as a right-back when PAOK had the man disadvantage. It's good to see the versatility if Greece ever find themselves in a similar situation. He was very smart, pulling defenders into the box and leaving space wide for PAOK to cross. He spoke loudly and made his teammates play the ball where needed. And I saw him find space at the Aris back, similar to the space Mitsel found to score the second goal, except he tried ghosting into the back post unmarked and alas never caught the attention of the man on the ball to swing him a cross. He's still a little too unpolished for the purposes of the Greek NT or European level football, but PAOK are giving him the time he needs to properly grow. He has the right attributes and aptitude to help his team. Marseilles had been said to be interested in signing him this past summer. I think if he continues to improve and gain confidence in Greece, then a move abroad is on the cards.

Giannoulis is a better player than I had thought, but I don't think he's suitable to the purposes of Greece yet. Like Limnios, he lacks refinement and has more to do to prove his worth. He was almost sold to Rennes a couple of seasons ago. If he gets to that level, where he can play in Ligue 1, I think he might be Greece's number one choice at left-back in the not so distant future. He's a tough nut reminiscent of English fullbacks Stuart Pearce and Gary Neville. I think the EPL is in his future. If PAOK sell him, they'll need to ensure a resell fee as well.

Pelkas is a good player, but he's starting to hit a plateau and I think the feeling now is this is as good as he'll get. Unless he really pushes himself to another tier and pushes also for a move abroad, he won't reach whatever potential he has left and I think that will make things difficult for himself. PAOK will eventually find another Frantzeskos or Pablo Garcia for all we know, so he has to make that push sooner than later.

Pashachalakis is an established member of the Greek NT, but rightfully considered a back-up. I was opposed to his inclusion in the past, but the wisdom of the Greek NT's technical team was not misplaced, my judgements were. He's tall, strong, and quick. The fact that he's very tall and capable of moving quickly is very impressive. He's extraordinarily fit and reflexive. I question his ability to be mentally strong enough in matches against quality teams and under difficult circumstances.

He made a big save to deny Ideye and keep PAOK in the match, but on the replay he may not have known too much about it as the shot had caught his foot and he was trying to save it with this hand that didn't quite get down quickly enough (although, in fairness to him, his reaction was lightning quick and I'd be damned if there's another keeper who can get down more quickly for a goalie of his size).

I think there's also a possibility Kyriakos Papadopoulos make returns to Greece with PAOK. Kyriakos has fallen out of favor at Hamburg and has expressed in the past a desire to play for PAOK. A move to Aris I'm sure is also possible for him as I think his main intention is a return home to Thessaloniki more than anything. My thoughts are he will return to Greece in the summer and PAOK is the likelier destination.

Would be super to see k paps back in greece - hopefully he is not completely finished as a force because of injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
      I had the chance to see the Aris-PAOK match that recently ended two all.

Limnios had played a portion of the match as a right-back when PAOK had the man disadvantage. It's good to see the versatility if Greece ever find themselves in a similar situation. He was very smart, pulling defenders into the box and leaving space wide for PAOK to cross. He spoke loudly and made his teammates play the ball where needed. And I saw him find space at the Aris back, similar to the space Mitsel found to score the second goal, except he tried ghosting into the back post unmarked and alas never caught the attention of the man on the ball to swing him a cross. He's still a little too unpolished for the purposes of the Greek NT or European level football, but PAOK are giving him the time he needs to properly grow. He has the right attributes and aptitude to help his team. Marseilles had been said to be interested in signing him this past summer. I think if he continues to improve and gain confidence in Greece, then a move abroad is on the cards.

Giannoulis is a better player than I had thought, but I don't think he's suitable to the purposes of Greece yet. Like Limnios, he lacks refinement and has more to do to prove his worth. He was almost sold to Rennes a couple of seasons ago. If he gets to that level, where he can play in Ligue 1, I think he might be Greece's number one choice at left-back in the not so distant future. He's a tough nut reminiscent of English fullbacks Stuart Pearce and Gary Neville. I think the EPL is in his future. If PAOK sell him, they'll need to ensure a resell fee as well.

Pelkas is a good player, but he's starting to hit a plateau and I think the feeling now is this is as good as he'll get. Unless he really pushes himself to another tier and pushes also for a move abroad, he won't reach whatever potential he has left and I think that will make things difficult for himself. PAOK will eventually find another Frantzeskos or Pablo Garcia for all we know, so he has to make that push sooner than later.

Pashachalakis is an established member of the Greek NT, but rightfully considered a back-up. I was opposed to his inclusion in the past, but the wisdom of the Greek NT's technical team was not misplaced, my judgements were. He's tall, strong, and quick. The fact that he's very tall and capable of moving quickly is very impressive. He's extraordinarily fit and reflexive. I question his ability to be mentally strong enough in matches against quality teams and under difficult circumstances.

He made a big save to deny Ideye and keep PAOK in the match, but on the replay he may not have known too much about it as the shot had caught his foot and he was trying to save it with this hand that didn't quite get down quickly enough (although, in fairness to him, his reaction was lightning quick and I'd be damned if there's another keeper who can get down more quickly for a goalie of his size).

I think there's also a possibility Kyriakos Papadopoulos make returns to Greece with PAOK. Kyriakos has fallen out of favor at Hamburg and has expressed in the past a desire to play for PAOK. A move to Aris I'm sure is also possible for him as I think his main intention is a return home to Thessaloniki more than anything. My thoughts are he will return to Greece in the summer and PAOK is the likelier destination.
      On that Pelkas comment - you can say the same for Fortounis and Mantalos. Until they move abroad they will stay the same or unfortunately go backwards. Pelkas should be playing abroad in my opinion. He should’ve stayed in Portugal. He is a good player and I hope he gets it going soon because the talent is there. Although Fortounis is better than Pelkas, I can see Pelkas being better than him if he improves and stays consistent. He already is faster and more skilful on the ball than Fortounis. But Fortounis has a better range of passing and takes the initiative more. I’d like to see Pelkas as a CM.

Comment

Yes, the same can be said of Fortounis and Mantalos. I think it may be too late for them. Pelkas has to get out while he still can reach new potential.

Comment

Yes, the same can be said of Fortounis and Mantalos. I think it may be too late for them. Pelkas has to get out while he still can reach new potential.
          I agree he still has some time left to make something out of himself. Do you agree he should be a CM aswell?

Comment

He's definitely more capable of doing the dirty work and in my view more rounded than Fortounis, but he's not as nearly skillful. Mantalos has lost some of his edge and doesn't play with the same energy he used to. Between the three, Pelkas could surpass them, if not in quality, then in level of playing experience, if he earns a move abroad to a good league, like the EPL.

Comment

He's definitely more capable of doing the dirty work and in my view more rounded than Fortounis, but he's not as nearly skillful. Mantalos has lost some of his edge and doesn't play with the same energy he used to. Between the three, Pelkas could surpass them, if not in quality, then in level of playing experience, if he earns a move abroad to a good league, like the EPL.
              He is more capable of doing the dirty work and is fast too. Between the 3 of them I believe Pelkas is the most skilful but Fortounis is better with his range of passing and is better at picking out players. Also Fortounis takes more control of the game and Mantalos is decent passer and more of a leader. It’s a shame he hasn’t got the same levels of energy like he used to. Pelkas would be an upgrade to a Bouchalakis, Samaris or Kourbelis in that 8 role. Just behind the 10. A transitional player. He has the speed, energy and ability on the ball to bring it up the field by himself. He still has improve his range of passing but he has all the other tools. He is a quicker thinker than Bouchalakis. But Bouchalakis is better suited to the 8 role than Samaris or Kourbelis.

Comment

Limnios played well today against AEK. Grabbed 2 assists.

Comment

He murdered us... best game I have ever seen him have

Comment

He's growing in confidence. It's not just that he's willing to get forward, it's his willingness to get back too that impresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean97 View Post

I agree he still has some time left to make something out of himself. Do you agree he should be a CM aswell?
                      Sorry for the off topic - but Fortounis did spend 3 seasons at Kaiserslautern in First season in the Bundesliga he started 18 games and was quite involved - but they got relegated First season in B2 he started most games , but 3rd season he was sparingly used and then came back to Greece - I dont know why he was only 19-20 when he went to Germany and then at 23 decided to come back. Smells of Greek mentality to me

Comment

Kaiserslautern preferred another German, Baumjohann. In terms of where Fortounis stood at the time in maturity and ability, he was not at the same level as Baumjohann who himself couldn't make the grade at Bayern. Baumjohann was a key player who helped to guide Kaiserslautern back to the Bundesliga. Fortounis needed game time in order to develop. Going to Olympiacos allowed Fortounis to continue his development as an understudy to Dominguez. Olympiacos invested in him. Pereira was given orders to build around Fortounis, something Michel didn't commit to. If Fortounis wasn't handed the keys and given those opportunities, he would never have become the player he is now.

I think Fortounis' lack of desire to leave at this point in his career suggests a lack of ambition. On that point, I do think his mentality is an issue. He's comfortable and well paid in Greece. He could have gone to the EPL, where he would have been better paid, but it would have taken him at least a season to make the adjustment. Maybe he's not up to that and that he himself senses as much. He's got a good thing going at Olympiacos and going to England may prove too much of a risk in his eyes. A player with a stronger mentality wouldn't think that way.

Comment

Kaiserslautern preferred another German, Baumjohann. In terms of where Fortounis stood at the time in maturity and ability, he was not at the same level as Baumjohann who himself couldn't make the grade at Bayern. Baumjohann was a key player who helped to guide Kaiserslautern back to the Bundesliga. Fortounis needed game time in order to develop. Going to Olympiacos allowed Fortounis to continue his development as an understudy to Dominguez. Olympiacos invested in him. Pereira was given orders to build around Fortounis, something Michel didn't commit to. If Fortounis wasn't handed the keys and given those opportunities, he would never have become the player he is now.

I think Fortounis' lack of desire to leave at this point in his career suggests a lack of ambition. On that point, I do think his mentality is an issue. He's comfortable and well paid in Greece. He could have gone to the EPL, where he would have been better paid, but it would have taken him at least a season to make the adjustment. Maybe he's not up to that and that he himself senses as much. He's got a good thing going at Olympiacos and going to England may prove too much of a risk in his eyes. A player with a stronger mentality wouldn't think that way.
                          Well funny you should mention Baumjohann because these days he is plying his trade in the mighty Hyundai A League here in Australia for the current champions Sydney FC which is about Mid table 3rd Tier England for the better teams and probably 4th Tier for the shitty teams. last year he was a standout for an average team - this year playing for a team that is looking to go back to back .

Back to Fortounis I think your right - its common among Greek players though I think - if your on 100k + per season you can have a very nice life in Greece and when your comfortable its one of the best places to live in the world. I dont think the EPL would suit him. Not enough hussle - it will be interesting to see what player we see in the 12 months after his injury Im worried his growth may have plateaued

Reaper is there a way to move this discussion into the Oly forum pls so we dont stay off topic

Comment

Pelkas and Paschalakis appear to be on the way out. It seems they may end up in Turkey. Giannoulis has interest both in Turkey and France (Rennes). Limnios may get offers soon. There were hints his buyout may raise to as much as 15 million when he will look to renew, so offers may come while he's still available at a more reasonable price. Apparently Monchengladbach are interested in him.

Comment

I can't see us moving on too many players in the winter transfer window. Paschalakis might seek out playing time as there have been rumblings that he wants to leave in January. Unless there are monster offers that come for Giannoulis and Limnios can't see the club letting them go mid-season while we are up to our ears in the title race.
                              Assuming they continue their form into the 2nd half of the season then I have no doubt some teams will come knocking in the summer, for Giannoulis in particular

Comment

Working...
                              X