Super League Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe your right in what your saying but I believe the reason why Fortounis is the leagues best player is because Olympiakos are building and catering around Fortounis. Greece is doing the same thing. Olympiakos are doing a better job though. I don’t think Fortounis will have those same numbers he had by playing on the wing or striker. CAM is his position and his best position only. I don’t think he is as good anywhere else. He isn’t very fast and isn’t good at beating defenders 1v1. He can hold the ball well and bring others into play. He can also find gaps in the oppositions defence. Also his stamina and strength need improving like you said.

Comment

Dunno if have ever been so annoyed with this new off side management in Greece.

Reffs told to put the offside flag up AFTER the play has finalized!! Just put the flag up right away! I don’t see the point of keeping the flag down and allowing a play that will mean nothing to continue and THEN put the flag up!! It’s been nearly as annoying as VAR

Comment

Brief summary of the Big-4 meeting:

A frosty exchange between Marinakis and Savvidis, with the former accusing the latter of illegally owning a 2nd club (Xanthi), to which Savvidis responded that there should be an investigation into the “many relationships Olympiakos has”.

The financial situation at EPO was heavily discussed. Their inability to sell the television rights for the Greek Cup, EPO’s unnecessarily bloated staff, EPO wasting too much money, all to the detriment of Greek Football. Resulting in the need to take loans from UEFA.

When Marinakis belligerently demanded answers from EPO President Grammenos about several of these issues, Grammenos responded by saying you don't demand anything from me, to which Marinakis replied, oh that’s right, you only do what Savvidis tells you.

Refereeing was heavily discussed, cue the various shady accusations. Alafouzos conceded things were at least improving. Melissanidis meanwhile, also mentioned refereeing several times in the meeting and hoped it would improve.

Marinakis and Melissanidis are not happy with Vitor Pareira who is head of Greek Refereeing and was appointed by FIFA. Meli was also critical of FIFA & UEFA saying they have failed Greek Football the last 5 years.

All parties agreed to meet again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post

When Marinakis belligerently demanded answers from EPO President Grammenos about several of these issues, Grammenos responded by saying you don't demand anything from me, to which Marinakis replied, oh that’s right, you only do what Savvidis tells you.

Grammenos is toast. What a fool.

Comment

Shit. Was meant to post this in the Super League topic

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised that Marinakis was the one kicking and screaming the loudest at the meeting. It follows a recent trend.

I notice my boy Ivan didn't deny any links to Xanthi but instead flipped it around and accused Olympiacos and big boy Vangeli of doing similar things over the years, a classic Greek move.

It's good that no one stormed out though (Particularly Marinakis and Savvidis given they were the ones going back and forth)

Comment

Originally posted by paokarag4 View Post
                Can't say I'm surprised that Marinakis was the one kicking and screaming the loudest at the meeting. It follows a recent trend.

I notice my boy Ivan didn't deny any links to Xanthi but instead flipped it around and accused Olympiacos and big boy Vangeli of doing similar things over the years, a classic Greek move.

It's good that no one stormed out though (Particularly Marinakis and Savvidis given they were the ones going back and forth)
                Yea I noticed Savvidis didn't deny anything either. Probably if he does own Xanthi or their facilities through family proxies - I suspect Xanthi will be the one to be punished and he knows it.

Comment

Ivan has learnt how to play big boy Vangelis' game and he doesn't like it at all. Nothing will come from this meeting or the other one in a month, except maybe more foreign refs in the play-offs.

Comment

Not so bad.

The removal of Grammenos.
                    The EPO having transparent finances.
                    More foreign refs.

Any or all of those would be good.

I can't help feeling if the EPO allowed B teams like other countries, it would remove these proxy teams from the equation to some extent. Olympiacos and PAOK have too much talent to fill one squad and the discovery of this talent and evolution of these players requires either loans or 'friendly' clubs. B teams are the natural place for these players - it will also simultaneously raise the standards of the Greek second division.

Comment

Read an article that one of the guys from FIFA/UEFA said it went very well. He also said that he was Austrian and if half the things that were said between each party were said in Austria, no one would ever talk again but it seems to work in Greece...

Comment

Originally posted by Brklyngrk View Post
                        Read an article that one of the guys from FIFA/UEFA said it went very well. He also said that he was Austrian and if half the things that were said between each party were said in Austria, no one would ever talk again but it seems to work in Greece...

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                          Not so bad.

The removal of Grammenos.
                          The EPO having transparent finances.
                          More foreign refs.

Any or all of those would be good.

I can't help feeling if the EPO allowed B teams like other countries, it would remove these proxy teams from the equation to some extent. Olympiacos and PAOK have too much talent to fill one squad and the discovery of this talent and evolution of these players requires either loans or 'friendly' clubs. B teams are the natural place for these players - it will also simultaneously raise the standards of the Greek second division.
                          Well pointed out and if the above happens this is a big success.

Grammenos needs to go asap and god know what this fool is spending money on. One thing they need to do is put some money in the state of the football fields, you see most fields in Greece fall away, PAOK coach today made mention of how bad Lamia's field is, this fundamental item needs to improce in Greece right away. I saw players falling over also in the PAS-PAO game and Donis made mention of the field, OFI's looked poor on one side also, this needs quick fixing.

I have mixed feelings about foreign refs. Its good for better quality that is for sure but what is been done with the development of Greek referees - this needs to be looked at.

Great point about B teams, something that needs to be considered ASAP and also, big point you make, think of the quality that raises in Super League 2 or Football League + added derbies - it's a win win.

PS- Thanks for moving in here Reaps!

Comment

Originally posted by Brklyngrk View Post
                            I dont blame him for saying that, the more I read about the meeting the more I think the non Greeks would have been like "wtf"

Comment

The problem with the EPO is even if we put someone else in charge, things won't necessarily improve. Who ever is in there will rely on one or more owners for political reasons. Grammenos doesn't appear to be corrupt, but he seems a little lost and he's a bit of a puppet. Marinakis isn't wrong in accusing him of being a Savvidis man.

Comment

Hopefully the next president is from somewhere closer to home too..

Gammenos - Salonika.
                                Girtzikis - Xanthi.
                                Sarris - Xios..
                                Gagatsis - Salonika.

and they all end up here..

https://www.agonasport.com/agonaspor...h-card-scandal

Comment

Working...
                                X