Europa League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideye also with the howler in the 5th minute....

Comment

What a great atmosphere.

Comment

Dam... if only Fetfa’s shot went in!

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
          Dam... if only Fetfa’s shot went in!
          That would’ve been a top goal if he scored it.

Comment

Key victory. They continue on. Very important.

Comment

yeah, saw the game, very good away performance by Aris. Wanted to get your perspective Reap on Fetfa in this game and in general. Had a decent first half, aside from not marking AEL's wide player and heard it from Sundgren. Ironically the same wide player torched Sundgren about 5 minutes later, but getting back to Fetfa, he slowed down the second half and hesitated twice on loose balls in the penalty area that could've put the game away. I hate to say it, I don't know if it's confidence or just him slowing down physically, he's regressed, even when he was at Al-Hilal he was personally playing at a higher level.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneHorseman View Post
                yeah, saw the game, very good away performance by Aris. Wanted to get your perspective Reap on Fetfa in this game and in general. Had a decent first half, aside from not marking AEL's wide player and heard it from Sundgren. Ironically the same wide player torched Sundgren about 5 minutes later, but getting back to Fetfa, he slowed down the second half and hesitated twice on loose balls in the penalty area that could've put the game away. I hate to say it, I don't know if it's confidence or just him slowing down physically, he's regressed, even when he was at Al-Hilal he was personally playing at a higher level.
                You said exactly what I saw. I could not put it better.

Fetfa was getting shouted at by a few players actually and even the coach I think. Sundgren was very uncomfortable all game (was told to calm down by Velez I think) but there seems at least to be some confusion in what Fetfa was expected to do when defending. It appears the coach wanted Ideye to win headers from goal kicks and lobbed balls and instructed Fetfa to play as an 11 at times so Ideye had an immediate outlet ahead of him. I am sure I caught the coach telling Fetfa to push up out of shot at one stage when Aris had the ball. Then he also has Sundgren in his ear to fall back the minute Aris lose possession - which Fetfa did at times. Not sure what was going on there but it seems there is some confusion or Fetfa not being in position when defending sometimes. Fetfa does seem to fall asleep sometimes in the immediate seconds after the ball is lost. I remember he has always done this, like Samaras used to also - when the ball is lost - he slaps his hands against his thighs and rolls his eyes while looking to the sky - instead of immediately running back to cover the massive gap behind him opposing players are already overlapping in.

About the second half - you are on the money. He should have put away that first one instead of attempting the shimmy and then shot. Second one again - he should have just run towards the ball and struck it. This is really basic stuff. It was clear Ideye was setting him up. Fetfa himself acknowledges goal scoring is his weak point, I just wish the coaching staff at Aris spend a day or so just on shooting drills for him. He needs instruction. Also he needs to learn a powerful shot trumps trying to dribble past 2-3 defenders when you are already in the box/ shooting range. Messi himself is happy to take a snap shot outside the box and converts a huge amount of them. Fetfa seems to think he has to dribble the remaining defenders each time before shooting at the goal from 2 meters away..

I think his confidence is still weak from his Olympiacos experience. Like many Greek players, a bit of confidence can raise him a couple of levels. What is positive is that he is starting these games at least. There were one or two beautiful moments he created in the game. That run through the heart of AEL and that beautifully hit long cross field-ball deep into AEL's half when he was surrounded by opposing players deep in his own half.

Comment

LoneHorseman thanks for update on game!

ive had such mixed reviews on Aris in this game. From the highlights I saw they looked good and you say that too but many others say they were poor, what you think?

Comment

^^^
                    Hey Amorgos, I thought Aris played the perfect away second leg tie, especially going into it that if they did score that all important away goal that they would be in poll position. And they did play like it, soaking up some of AEL's possession and hoping to hit them on the counter, which they did and eventually were well deserved to be 1 up after Ideye won them that penalty. In all honesty, if Ideye and Fetfa put away their chances, Aris would've had a more comfortable second half. Aris were caught out a few times during the game but for the most part they were composed and AEL's failure to put away the few chances they did have in the final third did them in.

And great analysis Reap on Fetfa. It is pretty hard to shimmy 2 or 3 defenders in a constrained penalty area, where I think his first instinct was a one timer of that loose ball, but probably had some visions of last years howlers he missed. But I agree with you when Pantelidis moved him to the right side and eventually as an 11, it took a lot of his defensive responsibilities away, especially that left side of the field and the announcers stated that Pantelidis wanted the offence flowing through Fetfa and it did free him up a bit. And that run he made against some Of AELs midfieders, ending in that point perfect pass toward their final third, no one in Greece, with that amount of PACE, not Fortounis or anyone else currently can do something like that.

Comment

Thanks for the insight dude! I need to watch the highlights again as I see much of Fetfa but I think I over looked his moments

Comment

Aris is as good as out. 3-0 loss to Molde with a return leg to come next week. Oy vey!

Comment

Out played. Aris looked like an old pub team against a innercity under 21 side. The old men policy finally got caught out. Weakest Aris player was Tonso who has regressed massively. Aris coach was braindead giving him over 60 mins. Basha was also useless.

Comment

Fetfa didn’t play?

Comment

Horrible turn overs in those goals

Comment

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
                                Fetfa didn’t play?
                                Came on midway through second half and played very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X