Fetfatzidis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
    Was subbed at the half against OSFP. It seems the coach was unhappy Fetfatzidis didn't do enough to deny the equalizer. Tsimikas got by him too easily for the cross.

https://www.sdna.gr/podosfairo/64507...i-sto-imihrono
    You see his run in the 23rd?

Comment

I didn't, but the run aside I think he was subbed out because of a lack of effort. He wasn't working hard enough in the eyes of the coach. I saw the highlights, he let Tsimikas past him too easily and he didn't seem bothered to do anything about it while one of his teammates ran nearly 40 yards to pressure Tsimikas.

In my view, the coach is wrong to play Fetfatzidis in a role where he's expected to defend like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
        I didn't, but the run aside I think he was subbed out because of a lack of effort
        23rd minute, faster than Podence:

https://youtu.be/8xGMWO5uTmk?t=1584

The coach after the game said he was demoralised so needed to be subbed. I think, like Ninis, he will forever have the stigma that whatever team he is in - if the team is doing badly - he is the first to get subbed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post

23rd minute, faster than Podence:

https://youtu.be/8xGMWO5uTmk?t=1584

The coach after the game said he was demoralised so needed to be subbed. I think, like Ninis, he will forever have the stigma that whatever team he is in - if the team is doing badly - he is the first to get subbed out.
          Crazy speed. Had the ball at his feet which is even harder.

Comment

Phenomenal. Just when I think I've seen it all with him, he continues to impress me. That level of control at that pace is exceptional. He might not be a young gun anymore, but there is still room for him to realize his potential to do better. I don't know if it's a strength issue or a matter of developing a better sense of what to do in those situations, but the potential is there. It might just be a matter of time before we see him make similar runs on a more regular basis and it ends in goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
              I think, like Ninis, he will forever have the stigma that whatever team he is in - if the team is doing badly - he is the first to get subbed out.
              Ok so I’m not the only one who notices this!! Drives me mad!

Comment

My friends i hope no one here is waiting for Fetfatzidis to become anything more than he is - a player over his career will always find his level - and many times it will be below what his talent dictates because of other factors. Fetfatzidis has always been blighted with tactical issues . He is not good enough not be given a free role he doesnt impact the game enough positively to be given that responsibility ... his other big achilles heel throughout his career has been lack of goals. I still think he has something to offer the NT off the bench though.

Comment

I think Fetfatzidis should not be bracketed together with other so-called Greek talents. Koutsianikoulis for example was one dimensional. He only had pace. The quality was never there. Fetfatzidis, however, is genuinely unique. I do think it's worth asking if his ship has sailed on him. It may be too late for his write a new, great chapter in his career. It's hard to say.

But bear in mind that Zagorakis looked finished once he returned to Greece after his spell in England. Then one magical summer, at 32/33 years of age, he was the best player in Europe. And Zagorakis was special, unique. His body produced a slight excess of nandrolone (an anabolic steriod, something Fetfatzidis ironically required treatment for). Zagorakis may have looked small and skinny, but that belied his remarkable strength and toughness. He could make bone crunching tackles, a trait he developed in England. And his stamina was otherworldly. He was running around the pitch like a 23-year old, but with the experience and maturity of a 30 year old. He was suppose to be over the hill and yet he had time for one last hurrah.

The fact is, Fetfatzidis was similar to Podence when he first emerged. More or less the same limitations and qualities. Olympiakos didn't invest in Fetfatzidis talents they way they are now investing in Podence or the way they would have before the Bosman ruling as was the case with earlier generations of Greek players pre-2000.

Also Fetfatzidis may eventually become very similar to the 34-year-old Valbuena, who was more of classical winger in his prime than the trequartista Valbuena is now.

I wouldn't write Fetfatzidis off just yet because he will mature even further down the road into a player who will become even better at set-pieces and playing in between the lines.

The quality of the league is not very good and it's obvious he's a real standout performer. This is true of other players who never really impressed enough abroad, like Vellios or Christodolopoulos who look and play more or less like superstars in Greece.

But Fetfatzidis is even more unique. I think it's only a matter of time before we see him reproduce his famous goal against Panthrakikos, the kind of goal neither Podence or Valbuena can reproduce. Fetfatzidis can do that to almost any team in Greece. At Aris it seems he has found his zone and he's at a good enough level to compete in Europe with a club renown for it ability to get results at home. He's been producing relatively impressive numbers so far and I still think there is enough time on his side to have one or two last hurrahs in his careers. He may never go on to play for a great club, but in Greece he could go down as one of our greatest ever.

That said, he still has obvious limitations and the only way to really play him is in a free role. If he can strength up and improve his stamina, he might be able to make those runs and finish outside the box much like Robben and Messi were famed for with similar results. To me he looks a little weak at the crucial moment, either beating the last defender or on that finishing touch. Too often he sacrifices accuracy for power or vice versa, power for accuracy. He also seems to struggle with confidence. A combination of that explains his infamous miss against AEK when he was at OSFP. He still needs work there, but I think he has it in him.

Comment

Yes, I think with Fetfa - you can't frame him as if we are Brazil or Argentina and we are rating him against Tevez, Messi, Neymar, Deco, Nilmar etc.. Successive international tournaments, fame, fortune etc..

We are talking about Greece. We can't beat Lichtenstein at home. Fetfa in the frame of Greece is within the top 3 attacking players in the entire country. It is criminal that players like Bakasetas almost have the same amount as caps as Fetfa.

So when you frame him appropriately - within the context of Greece (a country that is slow, predictable, can't move the ball past opposing players etc) - he is needed. That is all there is to it.

About his weaknesses that many Greeks only focus on. Scoring is a problem but his biggest problem is his mental strength. He is fragile - a pure confidence player. So again - to bring out the best - all the hard-ons for players like Tzavellas and Stafylidis the Greek media have always had - they would indeed be better erected on Fetfa - a player that when he is confident - is unplayable.

Comment

Fetfatzidis without a doubt should be a starter for the NT. This shouldn’t be questioned. His ability on the ball is unparalleled to his fellow countrymen. Ninis is the only one that comes close to his abilities but I’d say Fetfatzidis tops everyone. Bakasetas shouldn’t be anywhere near the NT. 2 very different people players. Bakasetas and Fetfatzidis and two different extremes.

By having Fetfatzidis on the field there is a better chance of scoring and also winning a game. He needs to be involved. The only weakness i see as a problem is his height. But that’s nothing to be concerned about. His pace and skill level is beyond any Greek player past or present. When I first knew about him I was stunned and so proud that a player like himself is Greek. I know I sound like a broken record but Fetfatzidis must be in the Greece national team.

The way he gets passed players with ease is truly exceptional.

Comment

I too am a huge fan of his. Followed Greek soccer for 35 years or so, no other Greek that I've seen, outside of Saravakos, Tsartas, and Ninis has had the individual skill set that this kid has. Unfortunately, this so called coach, doesn't seem to rate him and I'm afraid after today's game, I don't think Van shit will have him in his plans as long as he's coach

Comment

Originally posted by LoneHorseman View Post
                          I too am a huge fan of his. Followed Greek soccer for 35 years or so, no other Greek that I've seen, outside of Saravakos, Tsartas, and Ninis has had the individual skill set that this kid has. Unfortunately, this so called coach, doesn't seem to rate him and I'm afraid after today's game, I don't think Van shit will have him in his plans as long as he's coach
                          Not sure if anyone ever watches American Dad. There is an episode where Roger becomes a Latin American dictator and decides to paint his nation yellow. Everything has to be painted yellow - the floor, the cows, the trees - everything:

https://youtu.be/hfImAAdcsu8?t=144

We are at a similar point in Greece. If you happen to be a left back the last few years - now is a golden opportunity to become and international and evolve your career. You don't even have to be a good left back and even if there are already two in a squad, Skibbe/ Van Shit will always make room for a third.. and you will get game time - either as a LB, CB or midfielder..

Comment

Fetfa proved an important player in the win over Bosnia today. Like he has done for Aris also this season. Take note

Comment

Fetfa in the 3 minutes he played proved that he is a difference maker and you can only imagine what he could’ve done if given 30 minutes instead.

Comment

You cant judge his performance on the few minutes he played - yes he looked dangerous etc - and i think he should have been given 20 mins instead of 5 - however when he came on he was up against tired players - and a Bosnian team that was chasing the win . We had far more space in the last 15 min in the final 3rd than during the first 75 min. Im sorry but if he was as good as everyone makes him out to be he wouldnt be playing for Aris in the prime of his career.

Comment

Working...
                                X