European Elections and the very worrying issue of Thrace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Elections and the very worrying issue of Thrace

Well I'm sure most of you have already seen but ND has come out as the clear cut winner in the European elections that were held two days ago. Tsipras has called for snap elections that will officially be held on July 7th.

Although I'm not a huge ND fan, I think that Tsipras & Syriza has been an unmitigated disaster for Greece and I think ND should theoretically be more pro-business, which Greece is sorely lacking right now.

But, there is a map circulating social media circles highlighting a very serious issue for Greece, and that is the muslim minority in thrace.

https://www.liberal.gr/politics/poios-kai-ti-ftaiei-gia-to-isongkri-chromasin-ston-eklogiko-charti-tis-thrakis/253491

This phenomenon in Thrace signifies a systemic failure, that has gone beyond party lines, to address the muslim minority (not all are turks, even if turkey would like us to believe).

Turkey will use this to further exploit the situation as they always have.

Syriza has been a disaster, what ever people want to say about ND, as you said, we need more pro-business approach as the country has really taken steps backwards under this left wing regime

Comment

Usually, most coutries spend decades undoing the damage a hard left government has left.. Venezuela will need decades to recover. Cuba the same.

Greece's borders and internal fabric will also need time.

Comment

ND seems very pro-EU, but really all I care about is being pro-business, which Mitsotakis has said he wants to cut taxes on businesses, and also maintaining Greece's borders. Although ND talked tough regarding the prespes agreement, I do not think they'll walk that agreement back.

The big thing going forward will be what happens in Cyprus, the Aegean and this issue with the muslim minority in Thrace. It's still ming boggling to think how turkey was able to essentially wipe out the greek population of turkey, while Greece still operates under the pretense of saving face. Eu, or no EU, its an absolute abomination.

Syriza came in as populists, later exposing themselves for lackey's and believing in open borders. Greece's politics can't get any worse, could they?

Comment

ND are soft centre left politicians. They could have forced a general election over Prespes - they were ahead in the polls at the time too. However they didnt because fundamentally they agreed with what Tsipras did. They will maintain the policy that allows Turkey to create new grey zones in the aegean and the Thrace problem will continue. Having said that, they don't hate Greeks and Greek identity to the same level Syriza does.

Comment

Europe's elites no longer abide by the liberal principles that dominated Europe's elites in the age of enlightenment, when nation-states, like our beloved Greece, began to emerge out of fallen empires. The elites of today have either one objective or believe in one eventual outcome: global empire. They seek for that power to be centered among them and not the ruling national elites of Russia nor China, they're biggest rivals. To a certain extent, the US and Britain represent an Atlantic divide with Europe and seek to establish their own control over some variant sort of global hegemony.

Greece is a vassal state. The ruling elites of Europe and America treat us as such. They don't genuinely care about our nation's interest. They are only happy to see us submit to their political will, against their rival Russia. The same is true of the UK, France, and Germany, who are finding their own countries becoming powerless to corporate and internationalist interests.

As for political parties in Greece, some may lean more to the left than others, but most are basically the same in principle. They mainly vary in terms of competency and sophistication. In any case, they can huff and puff, they can hold referendums, they can do whatever song and dance they like, but unless they make the bold decision of leaving the EU, of rejecting the IMF, of rejecting the US and NATO, or likewise rejecting Russia and China once they make their overtures should we reject the Western elites, and choose to stand up to Turkey with the threat of armed defense, then Greece will remain a vassal state. The choice ultimately comes down to remaining vassals or becoming independent.

There is a heavy price to independence. It's easier to live in the welfare and security of the EU. But that so-called welfare and security is really a debt trap and comes at the price of being able to determine our own destiny.

The good news is that with these elections, we are seeing countries across Europe doing exactly what Greece should be doing. They want to secure their borders, their sovereignty and their sense of identity. They believe in a Europe that is both one of common and individual purpose, not just one of common purpose in service to its elites. They are rejecting the EU's serfdom. I hope they succeed and I hope to see Greece join them.

Comment

We are absolutely fucked in Thrace. All those Gulenists that Erdogan is persecuting? Off to Thrace or so I hear.... we needed to assimilate them decades ago.

I dont have that much faith in ND but they will be much much better than Syriza.

Hopefully the public sector and red-tape BS will be cut down.

Comment

Originally posted by Soprano76 View Post
                we needed to assimilate them decades ago.
                They should have been part of the population exchange. The Greek who decided they should not have been part of that exchange planted a seed that will rip the region apart..

Comment

Even if they were not part of the population exchange, Greece should have done exactly what the Turks did. The Turks recognized after the fall of the Ottoman empire that they needed an ethno-state. Greece also realized this, but allowed the very small turkish-muslim minority (not all muslims in thrace are turks) the right to stay. When Turkey falsely fostered the pogroms of the 1950's it did so because it realized their vision of a homogeneous state was incomplete. Greek leaderships never acted in the same fashion, and it's biting us now.

Greece, IMO, has forgotten what it took to create modern day Greece. Now a fifth column may cause yet another issue for our borders

Comment

Just google mapped the area. There are actually exclusively muslim towns up there with mosques covered in turkish writing and no greeks or churches in these towns. They have a whole region to themselves. Unbelievable...

Comment

Working...
                    X