Next NT Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next NT Coach

Probably premature, but just wanted to see where who you guys would want to replace Skibbe and why?

i read somewhere they already had some portuguese guy as plan b.

in twitterverse . skibbe is done

Comment

I saw the reactions after the game on twitter and it seems that pretty much everyone agrees that he needs to go. The EPO needs to realize that sitting on this decision and not firing him will be incredibly detrimental

Comment

Tantra: the chop everyone assumes is epo's plan B is the gavro's ex coach Leonardo Jardim. Just got sacked with Monaco, where he lad them to a domestic title a couple of seasons ago. Not a big fan of him, as i remember when he coached the gavroi, he weirdly favored other players instead Fetfa, even though Fetfa was coming into his own, both with club and Nt circa 2012-2013, a year before he went to Italy. I would favor a guy like Michel, who knows a lot about our current crop of players and coached an attractive style of play with olympiacos

Comment

Skibbe is going to keep his job until he decides to resign because the EPO has mismanaged this team into oblivion and can't afford to do otherwise unless. The only time EPO will fire him is after the Euro 2020 qualifying draw. If Skibbe hasn't resigned by then, he'll need to be fired so that we can prepare for Euro 2020 qualifying. Our last two Nation League matches are basically friendlies, so whether he stays or goes it doesn't make a world's difference for now. Hopefully he finds employment elsewhere by January, which would be the only condition under which I can imagine he would resign. It would not surprise me if he ends up managing either Tzavellas' club or Tziolis' club come January.

The idea Jardim will become coach of Greece is not something I can imagine. He is bound to get some decent offers in England, Italy or Spain (probably England). To be honest, I think he would be another embattled coach who would rely on one or two personalities to keep things together in the locker room (like Santos did with Katsouranis and Karagounis; like Skibbe did with Tzavellas and Tziolis). With Jardim in charge, I guarantee you he would be lost for support and have a hard time getting his stamp on things, just like Ranieri had trouble and Santos initially had trouble when a bunch of players (Kyrgiakos, Gekas, Amanatidis) decided to quit the NT.

I'm firmly in favor of Michel, but only if we get a decent draw. He's someone Mitroglou, Holebas, Manolas will respond to favorably right off the bat and those three would get the team to rally behind him. He had OSFP play a very smart pressing game, high up the pitch, exactly the kind of football Greece needs to play and ought to play.

But Michel isn't worth hiring if we end up in a group that is too tough for us and I think even Michel himself wouldn't want to coach Greece if he knew he stood next to no chance of making the Euros. If we get two tops seeds in our group, we're not making the Euros. Our campaign is over before it even starts. We're better off with a caretaker coach, preferably a former player like Dellas, who would undoubtedly relish the opportunity and have player support, particularly that of Sokratis and Manolas.

Given the circumstances, I'd wait for the qualifying draw before hiring a proper replacement. Even if Skibbe resigns tomorrow, we should still hire a caretaker, in this case Anastasiadis for the just next two matches before moving on to Dellas or Michel, depending on the result of the draw. I doubt Dellas makes a commitment to Greece if Michel is in the pipeline. For him to leave his current club would be too much a commitment for just two matches, but Anastasiadis is someone who can act as a warm body given that his coaching career is essentially over.
          Last edited by Don Giovanni; 10-16-2018, 03:31 AM.

Comment

I think the obvious is choice is Michel. Used to playing against very big teams and escaping with a victory or draw. Plays an attractive game and rotates the squad well. Also aware of the Greek reality and inspires loyalty. He is the best option. However i think the chances of him being asked are zero due to the political nature of the EPO and Greek media who needs to have an NT coach either Greek club neutral - or associaciated with PAOK, AEK, PAO. Michel only ever coached OSFP and therefore he will not even be considered.

The next coach i like is Lemonis. Again - inspires his players - again - loves the big games against big opponents and like Michel - has an organised attack. However, sadly again - he is an OSFP man - so I doubt he will get to interview stage.

After that.. I am not sure. I believe one of the big problems is the locker room where it is a free-for-all. A super manager and one who will inspire discipline is Slaven Bilić who PAOK for one would support because of his slavic balkan ancestry.

It seems however the EPO and greek media have their hearts set on Anastasiadis who I know little about and to be honest - doesn't seem much of anything.

Comment

• Don Giovanni
              Don Giovanni commented
              Editing a comment
              Anastasiadis would only serve as a warm body, a caretaker should Skibbe resign this week. I don't think Anastiadis will coach Greece because Skibbe won't quit until at least a couple of months from now, closer to January. By then he will either resign or the EPO won't make it wait any longer and fire him.

I am disappointed and disgusted as much as anyone here on the events of the last 4 years...
            What/who is to blame I am not sure...
            One thing I will say is ....the 'old chestnut' of ' we have a shit domestic league or no football pedigree'.....is running thin...In context to the opponents we are losing to...

what domestic league or pedigree/schooling do Finland, Estonia, Hungary (post 1970), Faroe Islands, Latvia, Lithuania, etc have?

Fyrom, Albania, Israel, Bulgaria at least attempt to play ball....none have any decent domestic teams....all have much worse leagues than GSL...

I think the predictable swipe at GSL....Masks the real issues...No matter what ...we have much better footballers than any of these opponents..
            Most of our players play abroad...have done so for a long time....

Comment

Plenty of good ones that would do a better job than the clueless fraud eyes closed. Ouzounidis, Donis, Postecoglou, Anastasiou, Dellas, Michel, Jardim. Obviously some are more realistic than others but these are the types of coaches we should be going for.

Comment

Manolo Jimenez suggested.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/miaou...thniki/3558920

Rumours swirling concerning Siniša Mihajlović. Seems he will fit in seamlessly.. just give his paypal details to Tziolis and Tzavellas et voila!

Comment

Even if a new coach comes in wouldn't he be controlled by the EPO anyways. What is the point of a having a new coach if he doesn't have the freedom?

Comment

We should go after a coach like Michel, but only if we stand to qualify. There's no point for Michel to coach Greece if we draw Spain and Italy. And he won't waste his own time either.

Jardim might be an option, but I don't think he will win players over. He will run into the same wall Skibbe ran into. Michel can win players over, namely Holebas, Mitroglou and Manolas, guys who can rally behind the coach and get the team to follow suit. Rehhagel had Charisteas. Santos had Karagounis and Katsouranis. Skibbe had Tziolis and Tzavellas. So a new coach will need a few players he can turn to in order to build things his way. Mitroglou's best form was under Michel and I can't think of another coach who can convince Holebas to return, a player key to get more out of Mitroglou, someone we need to perform in order to succeed.

Who ever is the coach, he must accept playing something along the lines of three at the back. England and Netherlands have been experimenting with something that fluidly switches between three and four defenders at the back, even five at times. They have enjoyed a lot of success with this idea. Belgium play three at the back and seem to be moving in a similar direction. Greece should at least follow this trend. Considering where our quality is on the park, I think we might see more intelligent movement out of our back-line than our offensive line LOL.

If we get things right at the back, bring Holebas back in, and get Mitroglou to perform, Greece will win games on a consistent basis, regardless of who is coach. Michel is ideal in this respect. Dellas is someone we can make due with if the draw is too difficult. Let's hope we get a good draw and the stars align.

Comment

Boloni, Mihaljovic, and Anastasiadis are the names being bandied about.

Comment

Grammenos, who is from Saloniki and is a lifelong PAOK fan is picking coaches that PAOK would.. in fact it seems Vryzas will pick the coach - a PAOK player from northern Greece.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andre Villas Boas has been proposed.

Comment

We need a modern, forward-thinking coach. Someone who doesn't give a shit about EPO, the clubs or the agents and is willing to try some tactical innovations like playing three at the back. Problem is, that's exactly the opposite of what EPO wants.

I think someone like Jimenez, Michel, Jardim or AVB would be excellent but I can't imagine EPO would want them or they would want to get involved in the mess that is Greek football.

Hearing names like Boloni, Mihailjovic and Anastasiadis makes me absolutely cringe. Those guys are neanderthals.

I suppose a compromise might be a younger Greek coach like Dellas, Donis or Kostenoglou, although frankly those guys have proved very little in general and absolutely nothing on the international stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikod View Post
                            We need a modern, forward-thinking coach. Someone who doesn't give a shit about EPO, the clubs or the agents and is willing to try some tactical innovations like playing three at the back. Problem is, that's exactly the opposite of what EPO wants.

I think someone like Jimenez, Michel, Jardim or AVB would be excellent but I can't imagine EPO would want them or they would want to get involved in the mess that is Greek football.

Hearing names like Boloni, Mihailjovic and Anastasiadis makes me absolutely cringe. Those guys are neanderthals.

I suppose a compromise might be a younger Greek coach like Dellas, Donis or Kostenoglou, although frankly those guys have proved very little in general and absolutely nothing on the international stage.
                            Its a very good post ^^.

EPO's criteria seems to require the following boxes ticked:
                            1. You promise to select at least 4 left backs per squad, none of whom can defend and all of whom will be utilised in any position on the pitch you can imagine.
                            2. You promise to select Tziolis and Tzavellas and let Tsanas be your 2nd in command.
                            3. You will take less than 1 million per season - but to compensate this, you can sell call ups to any Greek player who is willing to pay. No need to be discreet about this either - no one in Greece cares.
                            4. You will not have coached Olympiacos at any point in your career.
                            Perks of the jobs:
                            1. Greek media will never say a word against you - even if you lose 5-0 to Malta - they will say the reason for loss is complicated to define in some confused convoluted article. Add to this your tactics, selections and general managerial style will never be questioned in post match interviews or any other interview undertaken by someone with a Greek passport.
                            2. You will not be expected to watch Super League games, speak Greek, live in Greece, scout new players or have any idea what the hell you are doing in general terms. You will not be expected to research opponents, study video replays of games to see where you went wrong or look at statistics of any type like other modern coaches do.

Comment

Working...
                            X