Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for reference here is what an Englishman looks like without a Greek Grandfather:

Comment

I don’t know Reaper he does a little but nothing major. The only thing that makes him look Greek is his dark hair and beard. Everything else doesn’t make him look Greek in my opinion. You can tell he is British.

The only thing that matters is that if he truly cares about his Greek ancestry and wants to play for the country and not for anything else. From the highlights I’ve seen of him he looks decent and definitely an upgrade to Bakakis.
      Last edited by Dean97; 01-25-2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_146.png
Views:	191
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	8690 This guy doesn’t look like your average Greek but has stronger Greek ancestry than Baldock. I don’t think it should mean anything but as long as these guys want to play for Greece and can do the job then we are all happy. But if I had to choose I’d choose home grown Greeks from Greece first. By having players like Zeca, Vasiliadis and Baldock in our team it means that we are very poor in these areas of the field and have no proper depth. Also we don’t seem to trust the younger national players to step up in these positions.
        Last edited by Dean97; 01-25-2020, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean97 View Post
          I had to choose I’d choose home grown Greeks from Greece first..
          But if we followed that policy we would not even have Vlacho in goal..

Comment

Siga ton Vlaho. I rate Barkas better. Vlaho is good but very overrated IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post

But if we followed that policy we would not evem have Vlacho in goal..
              Just to clarify, I would choose home grown Greek players from Greece and players who have full Greek heritage such as both parents being Greek. (Eg. Vlachodimos.) The reason why I’d choose these players first is because it keeps the team traditional and all the players can speak Greek to one another. I would like the team to be 100% pure Greek. If they the player is born abroad that doesn’t matter, as long as they are full Greeks with full Greek heritage.

I hope I’ve made it clear now haha...

Comment

Well in that case we should only have Greek coaches. Baldock should be considered. He's a superior player to Bakakis and would walk into the NT unless we play Retsos or Hatzidiakos at right-back.

Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
                Siga ton Vlaho. I rate Barkas better. Vlaho is good but very overrated IMO
                Barkas is going to have to leave Greece if he's to be truly better. Right now Vlahodimos, Barkas and I'd say Kapinos are our best keepers and between them only Vlahodimos is proving himself at a difficult level. Barkas has to leave Greece if he's to remain in that conversation.

Comment

Vlacho made a meal of some of his Ethniki games, Barkas hasnn't. Both have played in the Champions League and done fine. Porko League is not something paramount compared to Greek League in fact more similar than anything. I would love to see Barkas go abroad

Comment

Even if the Portuguese league is equal to the Super league, he has been getting champions league minutes. He had one bad game with the ethniki, maybe one bad shot. It happens. Overall, I think he has played well. Barkas is good, don't get me wrong but Vlaho is playing at a higher level. If you ask international scouts, who would you rather have, I think Vlaho would win in a landslide.

Comment

• Brklyn is right. Vlahodimos made 1 mistake for Greece against Bosnia. He doesn't have the big body like Barkas does to command the air nor does he appear as intimidating in one-v-ones, but he's technically better than Barkas in every respect. Barkas certainly doesn't get down as well as Vlahodimos. I also thought Vlahodimos was excellent in our most recent game and he has registered two clean sheets with Greece. This is a player who is developing really well and has shown a lot of progress.

Barkas has to leave Greece if he's to get anywhere in his progress. You cannot compare players who compete in Greece with those who play at the EPL or UCL levels. Our league is very substandard.

Comment

• Barkas > Vlacho

When Vlacho starts making some massive saves in games his team is under the pump come talk to me. Ive seen Barkas do that time and time again and just because Vlacho plays for Benfica is not enough for me to say his is so great.

At the end of the day, it's great Greece has this options as both are credible keepers.

ps. no point going back and forth, I have seen what I have seen and judge players on that.

Comment

• Just to give my opinion, I like both players. If I really had to choose one to start, it would be Vlachodimos. Both aren’t very different, I’d only go with Vlachodimos because he has champions league experience. In terms of ability that aren’t really that far apart to be honest. Vlachodimos is slightly better in my opinion.

Comment

• An interesting video about how bad things are in Greek football due to corruption, politics and violence. Also this video shows you much things need to change. The things I would like to see happen soon is for our young talented prospects, eg (Galanopoulos, Limnios, Tsimikas, Bouzoukis and even Kourbelis) to leave Greece and enhance their careers abroad in a competitive league. Even Portugal or the Netherlands are good leagues.

Also all the teams in the top flight should be promoting some of their U21s to their main squads respectively. Enough of the foreign talents. We need to be building the right infrastructure and get the proper standards in place if we want Greek football to grow. Grow like and be at the level of a Portugal, Netherlands or Belgium. Just like our assistant coach Valkanis has said, “we need to be giving young Greek players chances”.

Here’s the video. It was uploaded a year ago.

https://youtu.be/Ojpn_nbElxU

Comment

• https://www.sport24.gr/football/Elli...n.5680970.html

Comment

• For a second I was assuming the worst when you posted this. I thought he wanted to leave Greece and play for Germany. Luckily that’s not the case haha. He’s a great talent and hopefully he gets game time with Greece. He runs and creates at the same time. He should replace Zeca in the team. I’m not entirely happy with our options in midfield apart from him and maybe Galanopoulos. I don’t really rate Kourbelis and Bouchalakis anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X