Andreas Samaris - Benfica - Portugal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andreas Samaris - Benfica - Portugal

Samaris has not enjoyed much game time the last 12 months, came on as a sub in injury time vs Porto. Benfica won the derby

He refused to leave the last two seasons. Another weird situation.

Comment

Might not be a bad idea. Who knows he could have gone to another team and be benched as well. He clearly loves the club and want to be part of the club whether starting or not. Good on himits good to see some loyalty for once on a player In a era where everyone jumps ship. He wants to work hard and become a starter again. More power to him but he hasn't been the player we want him to be for the national team anyways. Its funny because some Benfica fans think he should be an 8 and they say he doesn't play like a 6.

Comment

Benfica will offload him, whether he wants to go or not. They won't waste their time with him for much longer. He was OK, but not a quality player for a club of their standard. I think the expectation was he would be the new Katsouranis and Greece would continue to play at major tournaments, where he could shine and then be resold. Didn't happen and he's been on decline since that time.

Comment

to me, never defined himself as a player. it's amazing some posters think this guy is falcao/socrates of brazil.

i guess they need someone to idolize...someone to tell their italian and portugese friends that greece has some secretly good players.

Comment

He's OK, but he should have been a CB, not a DM. I think as CB, he might have excelled. He has many of the right attributes for the position, but his lack of perception and concentration is a a big issue with him. He's just not good enough on the ball to command a midfield role, however.

Comment

Well Benfica are willing to offer Samaris a contract extension, but right now his contract negotiations seemed to have stalled and Benfica don't seem willing to meet him more than halfway on his demands.

Newcastle have expressed interest in signing him before and might be more willing to meet his terms. In my opinion, Samaris should accept the offer from England. The EPL is the world's best league and Benitez is good as any coach to play under. A move to Newcastle will help to improve his game.

Another club in the hunt for his signature is Galatasaray. They are willing to more than double what Benfica is offering. I think it would be a mistake to move to Turkey.

Comment

Yip. Should stay clear of Turkey.

Comment

Comment

He played 70 minutes in a 4-0 cup game win over a second division side. He's being given chances, but it's hard to see him figuring more prominently for the club than this. Some of his performances with Greece have been very poor. Kourbelis looks to be a better player at this point.

Comment

It appears he's finished at Benfica. He'll probably return to Greece.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                        It appears he's finished at Benfica. He'll probably return to Greece.
                        I doubt he will return to Greece, no one will match his wages. Turkey maybe.

Comment

I find it hard to imagine him playing anywhere else at the moment. He should have gone to England when he had the chance, but it would seem the ambition wasn't there.

Comment

It will be interesting to see where he will go. Probably the championship. Olympiakos or PAOK don’t need him and I think it’s best he goes to a team in English 2nd division where he would get guaranteed playing time. If he isn’t getting playing time at Benfica at the age of 30 then he has no hope of starting in the EPL for any club.

I actually rated him him when he was Olympiakos. He played well and did well in the World Cup for Greece. It’s a shame that his international career didn’t turn out the way we liked it but I guess he wasn’t the player we thought he was. He along with Tachtsidis have been a major let down in their careers for both club and country. They are just another version of Tziolis who are tall, strong but can’t change a game or control it. All 3 are very limited and it’s better they never see the national team again.

Kourbelis, Zeca, Galanopoulos, Bouchalakis, Vasiliadis, Siopis and possibly Kiomourtzoglou have the CM/CDM positions covered.

Comment

Let’s see what Vasiliadis & Kiomourtzoglou can offer first before we put them in that category

Comment

Working...
                              X