Jose Holebas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
    Watford in the FA Cup final.. Xolebas a massive part of that.

To think the Greek media still pines over Stafylidis..
    I think Holebas is over it now. Good luck to him for what he is doing. I do think he would be an upgrade at LB but even he wasn’t all that for the national team in my opinion.

Comment

Playing in the final of the FA Cup right now. What a story.. was woking in german factory as a young man to support his kid.. never really knew his father who is Greek and his mother is Uruguayan raised him alone. The boy done good.

Comment

Got worked by mahrez just like the whole team/ the difference in quality was shocking.

Comment

Watford needed to put at least one or two on the board. 6-0 is nuts.

What a story indeed. He really pulled himself up to make it through the German league system. Caught a big break through Lienen (who lasted only a month) at OSFP. At times he didn't look right for us at LB, but he proved his worth soon enough. I think that goal he scored for Roma against Inter was the highlight of his career.

I still hope Holebas changes his mind with the Greek NT. I understood why he was dropped against Faroes way back then, but it should only have been for one match and he should not have been made into a scapegoat for all the team's problems. Skibbe's favoritism toward Tzavellas was the last nail in the coffin, but with Anastasiadis in the hot seat things can be different now. It would be a real shame to see Holebas finish his career on the bench for Watford. I really hope he considers finishing his career with Greece at a World Cup and acting as a mentor to Koutris, Stafylidis and others.

Comment

Not happening, Holebas won’t see the Ethniki again after saying no for a second time a few months back + clearly his hearts not in it

Comment

I can't disagree with you in that it's unlikely possibility. But we've seen other players retire before only to return later once their pickings seemed slim at the club level, like we saw with Gekas.

Holebas is vastly more experienced and of higher quality than anyone else we have in that role. He's arguably the most experienced we can call on. He can be a star with Greece, sort of like we saw with Zagorakis. I really think he'd be making a mistake not taking another chance with Greece because I think he will fall down the pecking order sooner rather than later at Watford. I don't think he's the type of player who would want to pass up the chance to play at a major finals either.

I think there may be a shout to call him back again because Italy will attack us down our wings and they will find lots of joy doing so. Koutris will have a difficult time and I think whoever we play on the right will look even worse for wear. None of them are likely to contribute anything on offense and they will look out of their league against Italy. That's my hunch.

I wouldn't totally rule Holebas out just yet. I think there is a chance albeit a remote one that he could return. Unless Koutris or Stafylidis go on tear next season or impress against Italy, I think Holebas will remain our best option in that role and arguably a star player.

Comment

I haven’t seen him play lately. Has he declined or is he still solid? The only reason why is say that is because he is nearly 35. I don’t want to bring someone back at that age and by the time the Euros or World Cup comes around he would be totally finished as a footballer.

Comment

I mean he is a starter for a decent EPL club so that says something...but he is still a rubbish defender and a ridiculous hothead. It’s balanced out by his attacking abilities from deep

Comment

Two Saudis are vying for his signing. Apparently there is an offer for 10 million over 3 years!

Comment

I'm watching Manchester City vs Watford. Holebas was at fault for the fourth goal--he fell asleep. Other than that, he's utterly hapless. Nothing he can do. Watford are being completely outclassed. De Bruyne is killing them. And then David Silva can turn and play passes like it's nothing to him. Silva is the best number ten in the EPL.

Comment

BTW, it's 6-0 and it's only at the start of the second half right now.

Comment

Kevin De Bruyne is a monster. 8-0!

Comment

A day to forget for Watford

Comment

Kevin De Bruyne was on a mission. The guy was unstoppable. Holebas was actually at fault on the fifth goal, when Otamendi scored. City are too good.

Comment

Working...
                              X