PAOK vs Benfica (3rd Round Qualifier)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAOK vs Benfica (3rd Round Qualifier)

PAOK always seem to draw Benfica or Ajax. They will play in Thessaloniki at least. The game is set for September 16th.

HUGE game

Comment

PAOK has done it!!! 2-1 winners over Benfica and now one game away from Champions League group stage!

They soaked up much pressure in the first half but better attack in the second saw then 2-0, Benfica got a goal towards the end.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Next up - Krasnodar

Two legs I think

Comment

Yep 2 legs. Big win for PAOK. Hopefully they can make the group stages...

Comment

A couple of observations. First of all, they dropped Paschalakis and got a solid shot stopper. Second of all, what more can be said about Giannoulis? What a player! Last season I didn't think that much of him, but once van't Schip got his hands on this kid, he has become a monster. Look at the desire and will to get into really advanced positions. That in my opinion is due to van't Schip's influence. His asking price just doubled from 6 million euros. He's worth the same money as Tsimikas if not more and he's going places just like Tsimikas. And like that, Greece now has two top class left-backs.

Comment

Hard news VS's Staf though, he can now add Giannoulis to the list of superior LBs to him..(Koutris, Tsimikas etc). Same at CB.

As for PAOK, they seem to do better without the pressure of the fans on their backs.

Comment

^ That's probably true too about the crowd pressure. Atalanta will need to up their offer now. I can't see Giannoulis going for less than 10 million. And what the hell is PAOK doing letting Limnios go for peanuts to a club that is probably going to be relegated?! He tested positive again after being tested Monday and isn't allowed to travel to complete the move. He should cancel the move as it has yet to be formalized. He's better off playing UCL than for Koln.
                  Last edited by Don Giovanni; 09-16-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Problem for me is, when PAOK sell a player massively undervalue - especially of Greek origin, it gives tge impression the league is naive and disorganised and this has knock on effects for other clubs when they seek a good price for one of their talents. Also it alerts other clubs greek players are cheap.

Comment

On the flip side, if you get high profile guys playing in top clubs, it makes them aware of the Greek market. That can only lead to an increase of demand. Would love to see Giannoulis play as the left wing and Tsimakis right behind him as the left back.

Comment

Both valid points. Greek players need to prove they're value and unless they perform well in Europe, it's hard to really judge them or get the proper notice. The reason Tsimikas signed at Liverpool was in large part how much he had impressed against Tottenham, Arsenal and Wolves. Giannoulis now is worth twice as much after this performance against Benfica. He won the game.

Comment

Working...
                        X