News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I read right...

You’re saying to have multiple ownership of clubs as an ok and no promotion/relegation in Greece?

Comment

You read it right. And I'm pretty sure the promotion/demotion system is rigged anyways.

My ideas may seem like a radical departure, but I suspect it already reflects much of the reality of Greek football. I don't think Savvidis is alone in owning more than one team, but he was caught with his hand in the cookie jar. And I think it's evident all the clubs, one way or the other, bandwagon with the big boys in order to stay afloat.

For me, the product isn't Oympiacos or PAOK, the product is the league itself. No one will care about these clubs if the league continues on its current trajectory. If the quality of the league overall doesn't improve, Greek professional football will die out. PAOK and Olympiacos won't have anywhere else to go if the rest of the league falls into disrepair and irrelevance. It wouldn't surprise me if one day these billionaires have to come together and bail out the league, effectively putting millions into the other clubs to keep the league afloat. Now with the coronavirus, that's a very real possibility as it may mean we'll go on without football for some time to come. I certainly don't expect the Greek government to bail these clubs out when the public expects that money to be put to much more essential use.

Comment

It is an interesting concept but I believe the league should continue to (at the very least) feign it is not corrupt. For me it comes down to facilities. Better facilities lift the league, slow violence and improve European campaigns.

The best we can hope for is

Oly - 32k Stadium (achieved).
        AEK - 30k Stadium (almost achieved).
        PAOK - 40k Stadium (in the air).
        Aris - 28k Rebuilt Stadium (in the air).
        PAO - 40k Stadium at Votanikos (in the air).

That would put us ahead of the Swiss, Austrians, Czechs etc and the other Balkan nations. The league would be watchable as you would always have at least 3 games a round in fantastic facilities. Players who never considered playing in Greece would now be tempted. Same for coaches. Mitsotakis may have to help both PAO and Aris to achieve their stadia but it is money well spent.

I cant envisage currently Atromitos, Panionios, OFI, Asteras, Volos, etc improving their stadia. Xanthi and Larissa already have excellent facilities.

Comment

• Don Giovanni
          Don Giovanni commented
          Editing a comment
          This is a must. No questions here.

Ioannis Amanatidis, the now retired captain of Eintract Frankfurt who had scored that glorious goal for Greece in Istanbul, is coming on as an assistant coach. He was last employed at Swiss league runner-ups St.Gallen. They were something of a surprise package last season and were atop of the table before the pandemic stopped everything.

Comment

Thought he would leave football. I thought he would be like this now..

Comment

Comment

Their coach just up and left to Palmeiras.

Comment

Garcia coming in, PAOK guys are pumped for this

Comment

Working...
                X