Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite Turkey’s demands, Cyprus refuses to back down

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...-to-back-down/

Cyprus won’t put its exploratory gas drilling plans on hold despite Turkey’s attempt to force the east Mediterranean island nation to halt its activities by conducting its own gas search in Cypriot waters, the president of Cyprus said Sunday.

President Nicos Anastasiades said pausing drilling in the face of Turkish pressure would be tantamount to Cyprus abrogating its sovereign rights.
    Fighting Escalates in Syria as Shelling Kills Five Turkish Soldiers

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/10/w...ib-turkey.html

The fighting has led Turkey to send hundreds of military vehicles and troops into Idlib province in the past week, bringing both countries’ forces into direct confrontation, a rarity in the Syrian conflict.

Eight Turkish military and civilian personnel and 13 Syrian soldiers were killed in a clash in the province last week. Turkey has warned Syria to retreat to cease-fire lines that were agreed in 2018.

The Turkish Defense Ministry said that its five troops who were killed and those who were wounded were reinforcements that had been sent to Idlib.

A later statement said the retaliation was in line with Turkey’s rules of engagement and its right to self-defense.

At least 115 Syrian positions were targeted in the retaliatory strikes, the ministry said, adding that more than 100 Syrian forces were “neutralized.” In addition, three tanks and two artillery positions were destroyed, while a helicopter was hit, the ministry said. The claim could not be independently verified.
    Syria has denied that any of their soldiers have been killed in these strikes and it seems that this claim from Turkey is just some morale-boosting propaganda for domestic purpose. So Erdogan is digging in his heels and in the process is alienating everyone. Trump wouldn't come to the defense of the Kurds and has spoken about NATO as an institution that doesn't serve US interests; it's hard to imagine Trump and the rest of NATO coming to the defense of Turkey in an area outside of Turkey itself, risking confrontation with Russia. I think it's just a matter of time before Erdogan finds some sort of face-saving excuse to get out. They have already lost 13 soldiers, how many more do they want to risk losing?

Comment

Apparently the Turks shot down a Syrian Army Helicopter.

The Turks apparently used a f16C flown from Incirlik

Source (although unconfirmed) is usually on the money - @BabakTaghvaee

"According to a former THK'f F-16 pilot who spoke on the condition of anonymity, the Syria Arab Air Force's Mi-17 helicopter was shot down by a F-16C of Turkish Air Force which had been flown from Incirlik! It was shot-down in retaliation of yesterday's attack of SAA"

Comment

I read "rebels" shot it down. Was it actually the Turkish air force?

Comment

The rebels claimed to have shot it down, but given they only have access to MANPADS (man portable air defense system) and given the helicopters altitude being above 2,000 feet, and behind clouds, the theory is disputed.

Honestly, who knows who's really doing all this. Some in turkey are saying the US was one to bomb Turkish positions, to cause a rift between Turkey and Russia.

A lot of things going on, with complex variables.

Comment

And just like that the USA again bowing down to to Turkey as James Jeffrey's states the US supports Turkey's "legitimate" interests in northern syria

https://www.dailysabah.com/politics/...b-jeffrey-says

The United States supports Turkey's legitimate interests in north Syria's Idlib, U.S. Special Representative for Syria Engagement James Jeffrey said in an interview with the Turkish news channel NTV on Wednesday.

Turkish soldiers that are currently stationed in Idlib have the right to defend themselves, he said, pointing out that the U.S.' attitude in Syria is not contradictory. He claimed that the PKK-affiliated YPG withdrew from the area of Turkey's cross-border Operation Peace Spring.

Jeffrey said that Turkey and the U.S. have a common geostrategic goal in Syria and Libya, where close coordination and the sharing of information is essential.

Regarding the refugee crisis and the looming risk of millions trying to flee from Syria, he said that Turkey could not be expected to fight this humanitarian disaster alone, stressing that Russia and the Assad regime have created chaos in Syria.

Previously, Jeffrey met with presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalın and discussed the ongoing crisis in Idlib. According to a statement by the presidency they stressed in the meeting that the Assad regime's attacks on Turkish observation posts in Syria were unacceptable while noting that the relevant agreements over the area needed to be upheld to prevent further deterioration of the ongoing humanitarian crisis in the region.

Jeffrey, who also serves as the U.S. special envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat Daesh, was previously in Ankara as part of a high-level U.S. delegation led by Vice President Mike Pence to discuss Turkey's anti-terror operation in northeastern Syria.

His visit follows two attacks by Assad regime forces on Turkish observation posts in Idlib, which left 14 dead and 45 injured.

Idlib has been a stronghold of the opposition and anti-government armed groups since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011.

In September 2018, Turkey and Russia agreed to turn Idlib into a de-escalation zone in which acts of aggression are expressly prohibited.

But more than 1,800 civilians have been killed in attacks by the regime and Russian forces since that time, flouting both the 2018 cease-fire and a latter agreement on Jan. 12.

Seems clear that Turkey can do whatever it pleases at this point and there will be mo repercussions. I recognize that the US is trying to capitalize on a situation where turkey is against Russia, versus with (as we've seen for the past few years), but do US policymakers really think that Turkey is going to unconditionally side with the US going forward?

I'm not sure if US policymakers are fucken stupid, or if Trump is unilaterally controlling how things go with Turkey, but one this is for sure, Greece and Cyprus are directly impacted by the US inability to project displeasure/action against Turkey.

By running back to Turkey and patting them on the back regarding their military incursion into N.Syria, and genociding the Kurds, it sends a message to third party countries that the US should not be looked to for support if Turkey gets involved.

Comment

I think there is a chance that the US backs Turkey in anything (besides invading the US) as long as the US stupidly keeps in nukes in Incirlik Air Base.

I don't think the US thinks beyond that logic. Even the Germans have moved assets out of Turkey.. US however - they are still in love with Turkey and more importantly, in love with Incirlik.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germ...plomatic-spat/

https://www.dw.com/en/majority-of-ge...vey/a-51030130

Comment

Turkey will have its way with the USA as long as Trump is in power; Erdogan is no genius, but he is one compared to Trump.

If President Bernie becomes a reality (which is looking more and more likely), the USA will not tolerate much more of Turkey's BS.

Comment

Although unrelated, I really don't think the dems have a chance in hell to unseat the don and I don't say that with happiness.

I just don't think Americans are on board with the whole "let's give people free shit and have the rich pay for it". A utopian world where everyone works and gets paid the same, or gets to enjoy the same things regardless of what positions they hold in life, sounds good in theory, but never works.

Also, eventually you run out of people's money to throw around. Also, Americans are far more conservative and are not ok with illegals being given the same benefits as citizens (like in NY you can obtain a license while being illegal).

All it took for the dems was a moderate candidate, who had some swagger, but the dems are running up bernie who just had a heart attack and is 78, and elizabeth warren who faked being a native american and continues to fake everything she does. Everyone else is forgettable.

I'm from the US so for me I can't support a president who directly diminishes the safety and progress of my ethnic country (Greece)

Comment

Originally posted by Soprano76 View Post
                    Turkey will have its way with the USA as long as Trump is in power; Erdogan is no genius, but he is one compared to Trump.

If President Bernie becomes a reality (which is looking more and more likely), the USA will not tolerate much more of Turkey's BS.
                    Barack Hussein Obama was a massive fan of Turkey.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/w...p-attempt.html

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ama-nightmare/

The European and American left are usually the biggest backers of Turkey. Whenever Turkey has lost land or favour - it is usually a right wing Western Government behind it. It was these type of governments that helped free Greece from the Ottomans.

I suspect Bernie will also be a massive fan of the Ottomans. However - I don't blame him. In real politik - you pick the option that suits you. Greece is not a player - so any US president would be at odds with real politik to anger Turkey for nothing. If Greece develops a strategy that involves protecting the aegean and inviting the US's nuclear arsenal into Northern Greece - then yes.. if Bernie/Obama/Trump ignore the Greeks and favour Turkey - it is unfortunate - but while Greece seems to want the Neo Ottoman Empire to grow under Dora's insidious plan - The US too will help the process along as will the UN and EU.

Comment

• The US' foreign policy is beyond outdated and they continue to hold Turkey as a beacon of the islamic world - thinking they'll be moderate and thus beholden to American interests. If they actually think Turkey is going back to being "moderate" (IT NEVER WAS TO BEGIN WITH) they are more moronic then I thought.

Turkey is a big country, with a big population, and Erdogan means what he says. Turkey's goals are in direct contradiction with America's dominance

Comment

• Originally posted by Filikieteria1821 View Post
                        The US' foreign policy is beyond outdated and they continue to hold Turkey as a beacon of the islamic world - thinking they'll be moderate and thus beholden to American interests. If they actually think Turkey is going back to being "moderate" (IT NEVER WAS TO BEGIN WITH) they are more moronic then I thought.

Turkey is a big country, with a big population, and Erdogan means what he says. Turkey's goals are in direct contradiction with America's dominance
                        But if the US wants to move nukes out of Turkey - which country is currently asking to house them? As far as I can see - no one. I don't think the US Turkish strategy goes beyond Incirlik. Occam's Razor points to US foreign policy concerning Turkey beginning and ending with its nuclear assets at Incirlik. The US's moral compass - ideas about the secular nature of Turkey - the Arab Spring etc don't even come into it imo.

Comment

• At the end of the day Incirlik certainly seems one of the major reasons, but it's entirely possible that the US has looked into other bases, or has examined creating a base to move the nuclear bombs to, without any success.

I can't believe no other country has inquired about having the US house their warheads there. I think it's likely a logistical/political reason.

Trump only messed with Turkey when Turkey held pastor brunson, despite Trump pressuring benjamin netanyahu to free a turk who was imprisoned in Israel.

Trump likely felt blindsided, backstabbed, and lets not forget that the highly religious evangelicals who voted for Trump would have seen it as a serious issue had Erdogan not returned Brunson

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                            I think there is a chance that the US backs Turkey in anything (besides invading the US) as long as the US stupidly keeps in nukes in Incirlik Air Base.

I don't think the US thinks beyond that logic. Even the Germans have moved assets out of Turkey.. US however - they are still in love with Turkey and more importantly, in love with Incirlik.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germ...plomatic-spat/

https://www.dw.com/en/majority-of-ge...vey/a-51030130
                            The only other thing besides as you said an invasion of their mainland from the parasites that would get the US nukes out of Incirlik, is Ankara's growing hostility with Washington's favorite client state, ISRAEL!!! You'll have the loony Dispensationalists, who make up the majority of the religious right, with which Trump and the GOP cannot afford to cross and on the left, you have J Street, the pro Israeli think tank and financial stream of the Liberals, who in their own ways, are GUARANTOR(S) OF ISRAEL's interests in Washington.

One only hopes, that Erdogan, who envisions himself as the preeminent leader of Islam in the region and by extension, the protector of the Palestinian people and their interests, will overplay his hand in that conflict in the future, that would force Washington to reevaluate their military interests in Turkey, in relation to their interests with Israel.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoneHorseman View Post

The only other thing besides as you said an invasion of their mainland from the parasites that would get the US nukes out of Incirlik, is Ankara's growing hostility with Washington's favorite client state, ISRAEL!!! You'll have the loony Dispensationalists, who make up the majority of the religious right, with which Trump and the GOP cannot afford to cross and on the left, you have J Street, the pro Israeli think tank and financial stream of the Liberals, who in their own ways, are GUARANTOR(S) OF ISRAEL's interests in Washington.

One only hopes, that Erdogan, who envisions himself as the preeminent leader of Islam in the region and by extension, the protector of the Palestinian people and their interests, will overplay his hand in that conflict in the future, that would force Washington to reevaluate their military interests in Turkey, in relation to their interests with Israel.
                              This is an excellent post. Sadly I think Erdogan is either too scared (See this incident: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_flotilla_raid) or too clever to fully back Palestine. He did not hesitate invading Libya and flooding the nation with Syrian jihadists. Same with Syria itself. However he has tested the water with Palestine and didn't like the results.

I suspect Erdogan knows involvement with Palestine is toxic and will result in the US moving their nukes. Erdogan is so confident currently with the US - he double bluffs. He will do anything to keep US nukes in Turkey - but he trolls the US badly over them:

https://www.businessinsider.com/turk...9-12?r=US&IR=T

Comment

• Report: Barr Protected Turkish Bank From Prosecution to Appease Erdogan

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...pease-erdogan/

Comment

Working...
                                X