Suggested Call Ups/Starting 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retsos natural fitness and stamina are of high levels he can handle a full 90 in my opinion. He’s a fit lad and should be the RB. But because he hasn’t played it makes it harder to select him. Same as Androutsos. I guess we have to deal with Bakakis at RB for now.

The team lacks leadership. Mitroglou, Vrousai, Pavlidis, Bouchalakis, Masouras and Fetfatzidis are not actual leaders. Same goes for Samaris, Tachtsidis. Kourbelis is a decent leader. But isn’t capable of helping the attack.

We need players who at least have high work rates, teamwork and speed. We also need our players to be braver in attack. Players who are determined and brave are needed for games like these.

Stafylidis is too limited defensively. His positioning is terrible and we are handicapped in defence when we play. Sokratis would have to run and cover him more. It’s more safer we play Tsimikas or Lykogiannis at LB. The DMs should be Bouchalakis and Galanopoulos. It’s time for Galanopoulos to step up. Putting him in a big game like this would only make him grow faster. Also he’d more afraid to lose the ball so he would put more focus in making his passes stick. He has lots energy and his very aggressive. More aggressive than Samaris and has more stamina. Passing wise he isn’t better or worse than Samaris. We would have to risk inexperience for now to benefit in the long term. Also Galanopoulos is due a call up. Anastasiadis and Skibbe didn’t give him the chance.

On the wing Masouras and Fetfatzidis have to start. They are inform and we should kept the momentum going. AM should be Mantalos. Technically good and has good vision. Upfront Pavlidis is on fire and rightfully should start. Technically also very good.

We could use Donis, Tachtsidis and Mitroglou as subs in case we need a goal. Kourbelis can be used to close out the game if need be.

Comment

• Fetfa has to start, no question. And he plays until the end. Don't care if he is dead on his feet at 90 mins. 90 mins of a fit Pelkas is not worth 10 mins of a tired Fetfa.

Comment

• Masouras is suspended for the Italy game.

We can't beat Italy for skill. We need to try to beat them with pace by exploiting space behind their defense. Fetfatzidis has a good turn of pace that allows him to stop-and-go with a tight marker and that can give him an edge, but he can't run fast on long stretches and there's no way he's dribbling through Italy's defense. They're not Panthrakikos. He's a good option off the bench as a double substitution with Mitroglou, who can hold up the ball (something Koulouris and Pavlidis can't do) and allow Fetfatzidis to get forward into danger areas. Hopefully Fetfatzidis can pull defenders, lay off a pass to another player who can then cross to Mitroglou. If we can isolate Mitroglou against Romagnoli, he might be able to win in the air. We would need someone to occupy Bonucci, however, and the cross will need some faltso or else Donnarumma can collect the cross if he can read it easily.

Maybe Fetfatzidis can draw an inexperienced Italian player into committing a penalty (something Sensi did against Finland) or red card offense (like Mancini did at Roma today). Again, we would need to exploit Italy's more inexperienced players in those cases and I find that prospect very unlikely.

If we sub Fetfatzidis on, Italy will have tired by this point and having a fresh Fetfatzidis would be more effective. He's not the right option to start for this game. You need someone who can run at pace and who can beat offside traps. That's the approach Greece needs to start the game and as the game evolves, we can change our approach.

I do agree that Fetfatzidis could be a game changer, but given his current shape, I'm not convinced.

Stafylidis is limited defensively, but so are the other left backs. Koutris, Tsimikas, or Giannoulis are not the answers to our defensive woes at left-back. Maybe Tsimikas because he has lots of energy, determination, and good pace, but he reminds me a lot of Bakakis. He's not going to give Sokratis confidence. Tsimikas I think still needs to prove himself and gain experience before we can rely on him definitively. He's an option I'd consider. The other problem with him though is as soon as Koutris stepped in his place in the league for Olympiakos, it became evident that Tsimikas lacked quality at getting forward in contrast. Koutris is much better than Tsimikas at getting forward. Lykogiannis is the best bet defensively, but he can't get forward, he's a pure full-back, not a wing-back. And frankly, even he's not that great defensively. Giannoulis is talented at getting forward, but again not a great left-back. This is a problem area for Greece and who ever we play can't be expected to perform to standard needed in the position.

The reality is we don't have wing-backs and we don't have wingers. Even Fetfatzidis is probably better in the middle than on the wing. I'd rather start him in the middle and let him voyage into the wing at his choosing. At some point we'll need to adopt a quasi 4 CB scheme where one of Kourbelis or another CM/DM drops back to fill the gaps and Retsos plays at RB. We'll need two CAMs instead of wingers. That means we'll need one CAM who can double as a CM (Mantalos? Samaris in a role Katsouranis had played at times?) to make sure we don't get outnumbered in the middle and that we can defend the top of the box properly as the other CM or DM drops into back line. This is how we remain organized and strong at the back. Without Fortounis, scoring goals will be very hard and we need to focus on keeping clean-sheets until he's back in the setup. Once Fortounis' back, we can take more liberties. But right now, when we play Italy and Bosnia, we need to shut the door and try to break on counters. Against Bosnia, we'll need more build up play, but against Italy we'll have to play very defensively and deep given that we're away to them and it will be too hard for us to play our game. We'll still need to press high against both opponents. Ideally, we want to force turnovers in their half and hit them right away.

Comment

• I have to disagree, Fetfa is super on the break and very fast. Seen him run through expensive Italian defences when at Genoa. He needs to start. And again - there is no queue of players faster than him on the break, we are exceptionally slow in attack. Not only that - we have poor technicians. That is why we score so few goals on the break. We need Fetfa's quality on the ball whether we play on the break or not. He is the first attacker on the starting sheet and the last to be subbed out for me. He has the option of brilliance in his play. The rest of our attackers don't and can't even make space properly. Fetfa is a high form - he plays the 90 for me and if we lose - unless it is him scoring an own goal, he is not to blame. Tired of wathcing games with not even 1 shot on target. He starts for me - 100%. He is the most talented and gifted player we have.

Comment

• You guys can't expect Fetfatzidis to do something against Italy that he couldn't even do against Liechtenstein. And you're right, our players are not good enough technically to beat Italy.

He's fast, sure, five years ago at Genoa. These days he looks overweight and he has spent the better part of the past five years in Saudi Arabia. If you're expecting him to deliver a big performance against Italy, understand Italy isn't Panathinaikos. He has to focus on simple things and try to play like Samaras did for Greece. Just drag defenders around and open up space for teammates. Maybe he might be able to play a key pass or make a great assist, but I'm not expecting that from him. So long as he can pull defenders and open up space for teammates, I'm happy with him. So long as he can press and put pressure on Italy's defenders, like he did on his goal for PAO, I'm happy with him. To ask anything more from him against Italy is asking for too much.

Even Fortounis, that's all you can really expect of him against Italy. Some clever runs to pull defenders and maybe he can get an assist from a set-piece. And even in his case I'd consider an option better from the bench. Our best players can't deliver more than that against a team of Italy's quality. We're going to be on the back foot and the likeliest way we can get past Italy is the way Liechtenstein got past us. We'll need to be very defensive in this game.

Comment

• Most in form Greek player right now (Fetfa) and we’re gona leave him on the bench? I think not

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                I have to disagree, Fetfa is super on the break and very fast. Seen him run through expensive Italian defences when at Genoa. He needs to start. And again - there is no queue of players faster than him on the break, we are exceptionally slow in attack. Not only that - we have poor technicians. That is why we score so few goals on the break. We need Fetfa's quality on the ball whether we play on the break or not. He is the first attacker on the starting sheet and the last to be subbed out for me. He has the option of brilliance in his play. The rest of our attackers don't and can't even make space properly. Fetfa is a high form - he plays the 90 for me and if we lose - unless it is him scoring an own goal, he is not to blame. Tired of wathcing games with not even 1 shot on target. He starts for me - 100%. He is the most talented and gifted player we have.
                Superb post.

Comment

• The game is in two weeks. Here's how Italy will likely line-up against us:
                  Donnarumma
                  Florenzi---Romagnoli---Bonucci---Emerson
                  Barella---Veratti---Jorginho
                  Chiesa---Belotti---Insigne

It's possible that Immobile could get start over Belotti. Belotti is a tireless runner and presser. Immobile is a more clinical finisher. Our CBs are good enough to keep both quiet, but neither can be taken lightly (a mistake Manolas made with Belotti at the OAKA). Quagliarella, however, is Italy's most dangerous striker. He may not be the quickest, but he only needs half a yard to make the difference. Chiesa is going to be a handful. He loves to press and he can cross with great accuracy, but Italy lack height in the box and we should be able to handle that threat if Barkas comes out to collect crosses and if Retsos, Manolas, and Sokratis can keep their positions. Insigne has lately looked a little off form and hasn't been at his best. He likes to cut in and shoot far post, like we saw in the OAKA.

The left-back position as well as Bonucci's CB partner is far from settled, but Romagnoli and Florenzi (now that De Sciglio is out injured) are in my opinion their best options. Florenzi very nearly scored a fourth for Italy at the OAKA.

It's possible Sensi starts along with Barella, but his inexperience led to a Finland penalty and I think it's likelier he starts from the bench.

We could see other players or surprises. One such surprise could be Candreva, who fell out of favor at Inter last season. His crossing ability is second to none. He can score from distance or finish at close range. He loves to get forward. He has come back into amazing form under Conte. He very nearly scored against Milan this past weekend as a sub. He could very well play in the left midfield or left-back position. Emerson has more or less guaranteed his place in the eleven, as have Jorginho, Veratti, and Insigne, so if Candreva is called up, I suspect he'll start from the bench given that Italy's left-side is more or less settled.

Comment

• I like Fetfatzidis, but look at Donis' pace and you'll see why we need him for this one:

He has to be our fastest forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                      I like Fetfatzidis, but look at Donis' pace and you'll see why we need him for this one:

He has to be our fastest forward.
                      Just a shame 1/ We can't and don't play on the break, 2/ Technically he is a shadow of Fetfa.

Comment

• We have never played our best 11, very rarely we have. I posted couple of 11’s a page back that I think can do it for us, Fetfa & Donis included in the 11’s with Mantalos.

I’m not 100% sure if Donis has had much game time.

There is also one player I forgot to add to that list and it’s AEK forward, Albanis. Albanis should be a player Greece starts to consider, can run at players and distribute well and score. He would be of much value compared to a Pelkas, Bakasetas or Kolovos

Comment

• Both Fetfatzidis and Donis must start. Game time shouldn’t matter because of what they bring to the table. I also think we will see Mitroglou and Mantalos back in the side. Hopefully Mantalos plays more of a central role because he doesn’t cut it outwide.

I think Albanis is a good player. Good technically and can score. But I think the coach has options in Vrousai and Mantalos for the CAM role.

It it will be interesting to see who starts at RB. Apparently Natsos will be called. Retsos is an option but hasn’t played. I don’t know if he will play. Bakakis doesn’t cut it but would have to do for now. Unless Van’t Schipt trusts Natsos.

Anyways Donis, Mantalos and Fetfatzidis would have to start. They are our 3 best options now that Fortounis and Masouras are not playing against Italy. Upfront would have to be either Pavlidis or Mitroglou.
                          Last edited by Dean97; 09-24-2019, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Id do this...

Vlachodimos

Retsos Manolas Sokratis

Donis Zeca Mantalos Tsimikas

Fetfatzidis Pavlidis Vrousai

3-4-3. Fetfatzidis can take players on and put some nice through balls on the floor. Tsimikas can whip in crosses as Pavlidis and Vrousai are great in the air. Zeca as the 6 and Mantalos as the 8. We need some creativity from deep. This formation can become 4-2-3-1 instantly if things need changing. Fetfatzidis as the 10 and Donis and Vrousai outwide. Both can do damage on the wings. Possession football with urgent pressing.

Comment

• Greece needs a CM who can play passes and regulate possession of the ball. One of Tachtsidis or Bouchalakis must start. We'll lose possession too easily and get completely overrun without one of them. This problem is even worse now in the absence of Fortounis. Greece has always had a player like this during the successful spell that began under Rehhagel. Tsartas, Basinas, Karagounis, Katsouranis and Tziolis all took on this kind of role to help Greece retain the ball better.

Mantalos doesn't have a strong range of passing. He's not someone who can cultivate the play out of the back. He can compliment the midfield or attack, but he's not the player to build around.

Vrousaj is not good enough for now. He couldn't turn his markers against Liechtenstein. He's not ready. Pavlidis was as hopeless as Koulouris. He got no service. I'm not sure either has enough pace to get in behind Italy's defense. I think Pavlidis might, but I can't say that for sure. He also lacks experience for this level and I think his problem will be similar to Vrousaj. Donis, much like his father, has the most pace of any of our attackers. And I think I've been convinced by all of you that Fetfatzidis should start. Donis should probably play as a ST.

Barkas
                              Retsos---Manolas---Sokratis---Tsimikas
                              Kourbelis---Tachtsidis---Zeca
                              Mantalos---Fetfatzidis
                              Donis

At some stage, I'd like to see Mitroglou for Donis (who has lacked minutes this season so far and will run so much he'll be finished), Samaris for Mantalos (or a midfielder on a yellow), and Torosidis for Tsimikas (I think it may be worth considering having Retsos play at LB after that change). Part of me still thinks Fetfatzidis might be more effective with fresh legs coming on at a late stage. In any case, he can be a problem for Florenzi or whoever else they play at RB. That Italian RB could be in for a rough game.

A big key for us will be to play over the top of Italy's defense. Donis needs to use his pace to get in behind Italy, latch onto the ball and try either to go for goal himself or square a pass to Mantalos or Fetfatzidis as they follow-up behind him. The whole team must try to get forward and win possession high if Italy reclaim the ball. We have to be brave and get the whole team forward when the ball is played over top of Italy's defense.

Comment

• Zeca and Mantalos should be the CMs because they are faster and can get back quicker than Bouchalakis or Tachtsidis. As for possession goes Mantalos can hold onto the ball well and work with his teammates around him. Zeca can cover a lot of ground. We should start playing Mantalos as the 8 going forward because when Fortounis gets back he would be on the bench. Pelkas also should be an 8 but is ok as a back to Fortounis for the 10 spot.

We need pace as much as possible in the team that’s why I’ve got Donis and Tsimikas as the RM and LM respectively. Donis would have to be replaced with either Limnios or Natsos. Both Donis and Tsimikas can track back and make it 5 at the back. Donis isn’t a striker by the way. He isn’t a goal scorer. He works much better on the wing in my opinion. Going forward it can be 5 players attacking with Mantalos and Zeca holding. It’s important they hold or else we won’t have anyone in the middle.

I dont see Torosidis being called up. And Tachtsidis won’t play the role your suggesting. Although your line up looks very good. I think you’ve said before aswell we should play a 3 man defence and I agree. Lykogiannis is a player who is playing and is very versatile. Can play all across the back line. I think it’s more of a liability of playing Tachtsidis deep. He isn’t very good at defending. Maybe he should play higher up as the 10 and not have defensive responsibilities.

I just think we need as much speed as possible in our line ups. Mantalos is a leader and I have faith that he can do the job that I’ve suggested. I just hope the coach does too. Zeca would have to start to cover a lot of ground. Against smaller opposition he doesn’t need to start. Bouchalakis can be a candidate to start but I believe Zeca does a better job in covering and shielding the defence. That’s what his job should be if he starts. Mantalos with his attacking instincts can give Greece the attack edge going forward.

If he calls up Vellios what does this mean for Koulouris and Pavlidis? Also Mitroglou? All 4 shouldn’t be call up. Max 3 should be called up. I’d go with Pavlidis, Koulouris and Mitroglou.

Italy have a great defence and I believe we need to take the game to them and be brave. We have nothing to lose, this is the type of mentality the team needs have and it should start from now on. Let’s use Donis pace and Fetfatzidis dribbling masterclass with Pavlidis finishing we can do something. Also with Tsimikas bringing in the crosses and Vrousai and Pavlidis leaping for them we can be dangerous. Good pass interchanges with Mantalos, Fetfatzidis and also Pavlidis could make life difficult for the Italians.

Comment

Working...
                                X