Clear All

• Jsoul
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBaYqV6R1Fw

Leave a comment:

• Amorgos
    replied
    Originally posted by Jsoul View Post
    This is where JVS confuses the hell out of me, He doesn't want Manolas on the team due to his attitude and he wants to rebuild the team but then he goes and calls up another guy part of that group who is a hot headed as well. At this point why not just call up Manolas who is the most skilled defender we have???
    My thoughts exactly

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Van't Schip wants to plays out of the back. Manolas is a very skilled player (for a defender), but conservative in his passing capable of more limited distribution. Stafylidis has a good left foot capable of hitting long balls. His pass completion isn't as good, but he's willing to play a more progressive passing game. Likewise, Hatzidiakos has a better understanding for passing the ball out of the back. The coach wants a balanced center-back pairing: one left-footed and one right-footed. For van't Schip, I think he'd rather have a Manolas on board, but I think he feels he can live without him and build a Greece for the future. Qualifying for the 2022 World Cup was always going to be a difficult proposition, even with Manolas on the team. It's preposterous to believe we will qualify for the World Cup with Stafylidis at center-back. It's even more preposterous than it was then to drop Holebas and play Stafylidis in the expectation of qualifying for Euro 2016!

This decision to bring Tzavellas back... talk about running out of options. After giving Siovas the boot, who else can the coach call upon with more than 2 caps to his name? Imagine a central defense with him and Hatzidiakos (who has spent the better half of 2020 on crutches) taking on Muriqi. Tzavellas at least has some familiarity, but Muriqi will overpower both. The loss of Siovas will be felt here, never mind the loss of Manolas.

Leave a comment:

• Jsoul
    replied
    This is where JVS confuses the hell out of me, He doesn't want Manolas on the team due to his attitude and he wants to rebuild the team but then he goes and calls up another guy part of that group who is a hot headed as well. At this point why not just call up Manolas who is the most skilled defender we have???

Leave a comment:

• Amorgos
    replied
    Retsos obsession continues I see...

Bakakis has played but got injured so not sure if he will be ready in time

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Not happy with the Tzavellas call up. He’s not a good footballer and worst of all I think he isn't a good human being. Bakakis also called up and hasn’t played. I agree with you Don if Stafylidis can get called up without playing then Retsos should too.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Even Anastasiadis wouldn't call him up. He preferred Valerianos!

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Tzavellas is on the team. The guy who cost us the last Nations League.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Three big questions loom as Greece prepares for the next two matches.

With Siovas banned and Stafylidis injured, what can be done at center-back?

Potentially Kyriakopoulos or Mihailidis could play at left CB. I think having Tsimikas or Giannoulis play in that position would fail to make the most of their talents; whereas Kyriakopoulos would struggle to start for Greece over either of them on the left and really has no other option if he wants to play. It would take time to develop him for that role and that could prove to be a non-starter in itself. Mihailidis is the most naturally suited of the remaining options for that role. I wouldn't consider these players ideal given their lack of experience and in most of their cases, the fact that it's not their most suitable role.

Hatzidiakos could return on the right, but Svarnas (who I think van't Schip hopes will be molded in the form of the former Barcelona player and Svarnas' current AEK teammate Chygrynskiy) may keep his place for now given that Hatzidiakos is still finding form and fitness after only just returning from a serious injury that kept him out for most of last season. It's plausible someone else may come in, but bear in mind that Mavropanos and Retsos are yet to play this season. Retsos hasn't played in months, but that didn't stop Stafylidis from playing against Kosovo.

Questions remain over Zeca and Kourbelis who didn't drape themselves in glory the past two games. Should they be replaced?

Bouchalakis is likeliest to be called upon if changes are made. Who would replace remains unclear, but probably Zeca. Kourbelis can double as a center-back and often drops back into that position when Greece took possession of the ball, allowing Bakakis to push further afield. For that reason, I think he may keep his place. Zeca may not provide that kind of value tactically, however, he offers harder running and experience. He's the better defensive midfielder. Galanopoulos remains injured and would very likely win his place back when he does regain fitness. Vasiliadis doesn't appear to have made a good enough impression in training (I can only suspect this is the case). Does Greece have any other options here? Maybe Mantalos can deployed here, but that would alter the balance of the formation. The coach can always get creative too, and maybe Stafylidis could play here. I actually think Stafylidis would be better suited to DM than CB.

The left-wing position remains a conundrum too, but pressing changes aren't needed here given this area hasn't been as problematic as it was in the past.

Masouras seems like the obvious choice, but Giannoulis could play there in order to accommodate himself and Tsimikas into the same eleven. Mantalos or Fortounis could play there too, but both are far better suited centrally. It's difficult to say without trying all the options out and seeing what works best. I think it would be too harsh to leave Tsimikas and Giannoulis on the bench, both deserve to start for Greece and I do feel both can be accommodated.

Leave a comment:

• Amorgos
    replied
    Coming back from a knee injury, needs to be filtered back to normal level

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    I think he should be fine to play. We’ve also got a friendly coming up first before the nations league games. Good chance to see other players and also see if Hatzidiakos is ready.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    IDK about captain, I think Bakasetas will keep the armband, but hopefully he's fit enough to play. If he's only good enough to play 70 minutes, we might see someone else get a chance too.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    I’d really like to see him return to the team. I’d put him back in the team even if he wasn’t playing, but we all know it’s not the way to do things. I’d go even further and put him captain.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Hatzidiakos is fit to play again, but he has yet to complete a match. I'm not sure if he's ready to play for Greece again come the weekend following, but we don't have any options now that van't Schip decided to drop Siovas.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    He has the option of representing Switzerland, Serbia, and Greece. So far he's been on track to represent the Swiss, but if he wants to play with Turks and Albanians, being that he's Greek and Serb, that might make for interesting times. I hope he chooses Greece and continues his impressive progress.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X