Clear All

• Dean97
    replied
    Great article about Bakasetas.

https://hellasfooty.blogspot.com/202...ntral.html?m=1

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    All we can hope for is to build on the last 4 games. We’ve have shown a new identity and have changed our style. We can thank JVS for that so far. I’m excited for the future as we have young talented Greeks coming through. I just hope we make the World Cup. By then hopefully most of our starting players have improved their game and hopefully some break through.

Leave a comment:

• Jsoul
    replied
    There is no hiding the fact that we will struggle against top quality teams as we don’t have the defence that we had in the previous years and we don’t line up the entire team behind our half of the field and just defend and hope for a draw. So yes we will give up a lot more chances and some these high end teams will capitalize on their chances but at least now we are not just a boring defending team with no offence, and our speed gives us the ability to press up the field and gives us a chance to be able to be competitive on both ends of the field..
    We definitely don’t have that one or two stars that some of these big teams have that are game breakers so we need to work as a complete unit and have a complete team effort where every player buys into the same system which we are seeing some encouraging signs now with JVS. Some of our guys are still too young so we don’t know what role they will play for the NT but there are definitely some encouraging signs. The problem I see with a lot of the Greek players is inconsistency, they will have a great couple years and everyone will be so high on them and then they fade off again.
    Regardless I’m excited to see if this team can build on its moment it carried from the last 4 games and continue to build and move forward and keep improving and getting good results that’s all we can ask for right now if I’m being realistic.
    Last edited by Jsoul; 06-24-2020, 12:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Football is a team game and it’s going 100% effort from all our players to get the win. We can’t rely on one person. We haven’t got that kind of player. All we can hope for is that we play our best and most inform players every time. JVS has done that. He’s also change our style for the better. I understand your going to need quality against bigger teams but our only quality players are our CBs...

We did better with a different team in the 2nd game against Italy than the 1st. I agree that we are going to need bigger bodies in the box for set pieces, Pavlidis, Kourbelis and Hatzidiakos are the one that come to mind. If we replace Stafylidis for say Mavropanos then we have another good option in the box...

We can’t underestimate what Fountas has done, even in Austria. I can’t remember the last time a Greek ST has done this well abroad. He’s also got it all. Good technique, great passer and great finisher with speed. On the counter he can be very useful as he makes great runs. Even though most of our players that don’t play CL or EPL it doesn’t mean that we can’t succeed. Our players are still young and progressing and one day they might play CL but for now this team needs fresh blood and young blood.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Fountas is having the best season ever... in Austria. What can we expect of him against top quality opposition? Twice we played Italy and both times we looked very nonthreatening. Both times we played deep in our end in order to stay in the game. Realistically, if we are to beat a top team, it's going to take a big and powerful center-back (not a small guy like Fountas) to head a ball in from a well taken set-piece. Maybe we can catch them napping against the run of play. Beyond that, I don't think we have the quality to punish top teams, at least not at this time.

Van't Schip has turned around a sinking ship. He deserves credit. And the EPO do too for having placed their faith in him. I remember we almost hired Lucien Favre, who now coaches Dortmund, so I think the EPO made the decision to hire van't Schip with that missed chance in mind. We have a lot of players who are young and eager to prove their worth. They want to do our country proud. It's hard to say who among them will one day play and succeed in the EPL and/or UCL. Right now we have Vlahodimos and Manolas competing at a strong enough level and who are on track to remain elite players. All these other players will have to eventually take similar steps in their careers if Greece is going to be competitive at major finals.
    Last edited by Don Giovanni; 06-19-2020, 06:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Well Fountas is having his best season ever. He can’t stop scoring and we know what Greece’s problem is and that’s scoring. Now with JVS as coach we have been playing better football without our so called stars. Who do you replace now in the starting line up? JVS really likes Pavlidis, and he is a decent striker. If we play Fountas on the wing than Mantalos would have to be benched, or you would play Mantalos as the CAM. Limnios deserves to start again. He is the only one that is capable of running at defenders and taking them on with skill and speed. But yet again so can Donis and Fetfatzidis but I think it’s best that they come off the bench as super subs.

Fortounis has to start more if he wants to play. He is coming back slowly. You can tell Manolas and Sokratis have attitude problems because they start week in and week out for their clubs and JVS keeps on saying that they need to have passion and they are going to have to want to come back. If you look at our recent line ups all of our players start for their clubs and are doing well. What puzzled me was that Stafylidis wasn’t starting or playing much at the time I think. I think he was coming off the bench for his club. But he was the player with less amount of minutes and was named captain. That seems a bit odd.

I just think we have to include Fountas in our starting line up. Maybe we play 2 up top...

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    I don't think anyone has convinced enough. Even someone like Manolas who should really be an undisputed starter might not even figure in van't Schip's plans if the two can't see eye-to-eye.

Fortounis is making cameos from the bench these days for OSFP. How can he start for Greece?

Without guys playing in top leagues or guys on the bench competing for a place at a top club, I don't think Greece will have what it takes to compete on the biggest stages. We need players at the highest levels to be serious competitors.

It's hard to predict how good some of the guys coming through will become. I think Pavlidis, Fountas, Donis, Limnios, Tsimikas, Retsos, Mavropanos, and Hatzidiakos have something to offer, but we can't set any expectations on the them yet--it's too early still. There are some other names I haven't mentioned who are making their way up who look like good options.

Leave a comment:

• Jsoul
    replied
    Let’s not forget the only reason Fortounis is not on the team is because he got injured and the minute he returns to form Bakasetas will be bench player. Fortounis’s vision and skill is needed if this team wants to capitalize on its chances.. Bakasetas has done well in the middle in the last 4 games with the NT but he’s not on the same level skill and vision wise as Fortounis..

As far as Mantolas goes who do you sit? Liminos, Masouras look more dangerous on the wing then Mantoals ever has, Masouras only problem is he can’t finish and has blown chances but over all I can’t see Mantolas ahead of, Pavlidis, Masouras, Liminos, Donis..

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    For all we know, Fountas and Pavlidis may have to be accommodated in a way that forces Mantalos on the bench... Time will tell, but right now Mantalos has the set the bar to where it needs to be. For others to play, they need to match his will and commitment.

And to add some more perspective here, before the Euro 2004 finals, Stelios was a more important player than Karagounis. Stelios won the game against Spain in Zaragoza, but that didn't stop Rehhagel from playing Karagounis instead for the opener against Portugal, one of Rehhagel's many master strokes at those finals. And bear in mind, when Greece played Portugal in a pre-Euro 2004 friendly, Karagounis decided to act like a goalkeeper and got himself sent off in the first half. He was prone to some reckless behavior. So it was a bold choice and there was perhaps an argument to be made that Tsartas should have started instead too.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    I agree Mantalos is too skilled to be left out. He’s a quality player. Same can be said about Fetfatzidis. Fetfatzidis is just as good if not better than both Limnios and Mantalos. I question why he hasn’t been given more chances. He’s sort of revived his career at Aris. I think he is more of an impact sub like Donis. Chatzigiovannis and Masouras are decent wingers aswell. We’ve also got Lamprou coming through. So there are options...

Leave a comment:

• Amorgos
    replied
    I think in both bases, they wanted to accommodate Mantalos and Baka in the line ups but he is way too slow for wing play and as such it didn't work out, he didn't play on the wing so much the season before that and he did well, he goes to Turkey, plays as a CAM and now his worth has gone from 500-700k to 3-5 million.

Mantalos is simply too skilled to keep out for both is my belief, at AEK he has been played centrally lately and doing well but was played on the left for ages prior to the playoffs, with Livaja in the center, should be noted he is played on the left for both despite being right footed (although he can use his left also).

With Fortounis playing centrally and then Bakasetas, like at AEK, you want the skill of Mantalos out there as such they play him there and he can play it and until we get a good left sided winger it may continue that way.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    I just prefer to have someone who is faster in that position. I also see something in Pelkas as I rate him highly. He just needs consistency and to be constantly motivated. Bakasetas is having his best season this season. He’s earned his call up and the team has done better with him in his natural position, but I stand by with what I said and all I’m saying is we have better and more skillful players than him. That’s my opinion.

Also I have no idea why Bakasetas was ever put on the wing... Not the best idea. At least Mantalos has some pace and skill about him to play there, even though his best position is his natural position at CAM. Amorgo do you know why Bakasetas was put on the wing?

Also does anyone else know why Mantalos plays on the wing for AEK and Greece?
    Last edited by Dean97; 06-15-2020, 07:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Amorgos
    replied
    But he created our chances vs Italy... the chances we created were via Bakasetas. You keep mentioning Pelkas, have you not seen the speed the team has played even with Baka? What did Pelkas do when he came on besides look clumsy and stuff up multiple times with Fortounis.

Baka is having a decent season in Turkey, is Pelkas having a decent season in Greece? Besides the last season with AEK, where he was played on the wing, he did well in Greece too. He helped the Ethniki too fold. and against Italy so sorry but your comments make no sense to me Dean.

Where I agree with you, is Mantalos, I would love to see Mantalos have a shot, I think he can combine very well with Baka and Limnios but Baka must play centrally.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
    You say this about Bakasetas but he has done the very thing your saying he cant do because he is too slow??? And it helped create 20 odd shots at goal in our last 4 games.

Pelkas on the other hand, who you're saying will lift the tempo has failed to do this... Anything is possible in the future but I just don't like reading things that say a player can't do this and that when they have proven to do just that.

Don't take away from Bakasetas what he did in helping make this team transform, and I myself was not a fan of him at all in the Ethniki, but under JVS, and being playing in his preferred position he has done well and deserved the credit.
    I meant to say that he isn’t as swift as our other CAMs. By being more swift it gives you more a chance to create opportunities and even score. With Pelkas as the example. I just think we shouldn’t build around him in the long term. Especially when we have Mantalos, Pelkas and Fortounis.

Pelkas has only played once or twice as the CAM for Greece. The game he played against Egypt in a friendly which I remember he made the team look faster with him there, back when our team were in complete shambles. Imagine now with JVS what Pelkas can do... or even Mantalos who is another that’s only played once or twice in that role. Also Pelkas does have to do better with Greece as he has struggled, but I still rate him way above Bakasetas...

Bakasetas is only getting the opportunities now because he is having a decent season in Turkey. The players I mentioned before have had 3-4 decent seasons in a row. He does deserve credit lately as the team have been performing well and winning. But I don’t see him being a long term option at number 10. I just don’t think it will help the team in the long run especially when we go up against
    better opponents. The Italy game is an example.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Bakasetas has been doing better now. He reminds me a bit of Salpingidis in the sense that he has a great feel for the game, he knows when to seize his moment. I believe the difference is his partnership with Mantalos, the confidence and trust he feels under van't Schip, and with his form in Turkey.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X