Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Right now we lack quality in the full/wing-back positions. Even Lykogiannis is nothing special. He's a bigger player than Stafylidis/Koutris and he is more conservative in choosing when to get forward. I'm not that convinced he would be good enough for Greece, but he's not as much of a defensive liability as the others.

In my view, it's better to play two CBs in place of the FBs/WBs, since in the CB position we have most quality. This means we can afford to play Retsos and Kourbelis instead of players who are defensively inferior, like Mavrias or Zeca at RB and Stafylidis or Koutris at LB. Eventually, Mavropanos might fit into that conversation, possibly even before Euro 2020. Maybe Kyriakos Papadopoulos if he manages to turn a page and stay healthy long enough. And we have Siovas too. That's 5-7 CBs depending on how fit Retsos and Kyriakos stay. Add Torosidis and Samaris to that conversation, and you have two players who could probably convert to CB roles, so that's about 7 or 9 options total. In a 23-man squad, that makes up about 1/3 or little more of the team and they take up 4/11 to 5/11 of the starling eleven positions, so the ratios are very close.

Realistically, the way this formation adapts to four at the back when needed is by allowing Sokratis to move into LB and Kourbelis to drop back into CB (or vice versa) and Tachtsidis into CM with Samaris at RCM (or vice versa):

Retsos---Manolas---Kourbelis---Sokratis
    Zeca---Tachtsidis---Samaris
    Donis----Fortounis---Fetfatzidis

A 4-3-3 formation offers the most coverage for the different zones/areas on the pitch in comparison to any other formation. So in terms of defending, this would allow us to deny and occupy space the most effectively across the pitch. The only issue is that Fetfatzidis and Fortounis will offer little help in defense. Anyone who saw Fortounis' attempt at a slide tackle against Armenia will know what I mean. And in Fetfatizidis, he's too small (he's nearly half a foot smaller than Donis). Donis too is rather limited, but he can be determined and throw himself into challenges like Karagounis had, even if they're not really effective and risk him getting carded.

We only do this when we need to absorb and sit deep, which may prove the case against better quality opponents who prevent us from keeping much possession. When we have the ball, we can have three men back, then three men in front of them to maintain two banks of six defensive players (3-3), which will be easy to organize since both lines can rely on each other as points of reference (similar in principle to banks of 4-4). Then you have four players up front who can combine and create chances, who are expected to move a lot more freely with Tachtsidis acting as the anchor point. The idea is very similar in design and principle to 4-2-3-1, where you have 6 defensive players to 4 attacking player in ratio, except here you have an extra CDM who can press opponents and better protect the defense. And by having three men at the back it's easier to play the offside trap (one man less to co-ordinate with), which in turn would allow us to keep higher. Between Tachtsidis and Fortounis, we can really keep the ball moving along nicely, and in Donis and Fefatzidis, we have two players who can run at opponents with the ball and draw fouls.

But all of this would depend on a fit and in-form Fetfatzidis. Without him, there's no other winger in Greek football who can cause serious tactical problems for opponents. On his day, Fetfatzidis is close to unplayable. This was on show against Hungary back in 2015. Giannotas, Pano Vlahodimos, Villafanez, Lamprou, and even Donis aren't as good as he is.

Then there is another problem. We lack pace to strike on the counter. Fortounis, Fetfatzidis, and Tachtsidis can't light up the field. Donis is quick, but he'll more than meet his match against quality teams with pace in the middle and back, like France or Holland should we play them. This means Greece will need to work the ball up from the back more often than not. There is only one player who can change that: Holebas. I'm tempted, truth be told, to play Holebas somehow. I'm thinking in place of Fetfatzidis. He's another player who for Greece can be a big star. Just consider the goal he almost scored on the counter against Ivory Coast (on the counter when he hit the post) and the cross he made against Costa Rica. That sort of quality can win us games. And having him means we don't defend another player less.

I think for Greece, these are the kinds of players we need to look at. As time goes one, we can look at Lamprou and see how he progresses. Maybe one day he can be that player because he is fast, tall, and technically very good. Then there's players like Pavlidis, Kampetsis, Michelis, Bouzoukis, etc, who could fit into the frame of things.
    Last edited by Don Giovanni; 06-27-2019, 03:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
    We tried Masouras and Kolovos against Italy. It was a mistake because they didn't really threaten nor did they apply enough pressure on Italy. I think between the two, we could only afford one at most in the game against Italy. We needed another player, one more defensive instead.

Speaking of Maniatis' performance against Belgium, there was one chance where Maniatis was suppose to cut the ball back to Donis, but instead he played into the 6 yard box with no one oncoming. Had he cut back, Donis would have been unmarked with a free shot at goal. Torosidis probably would have known better had he played instead, but at his age now he would struggle to get up like that with any frequency. Realistically, we're looking at Holebas/Stafylidis/Koutris to dash onto the left, mix and match with Fortounis or Donis to open up space for the cross, and for big guys like Tachtsidis and Kourbelis to offer an aerial threat/presence with runs into the box. I'd like to see Torosidis, Samaris, Sokratis and Manolas get forward into those kinds of situations too because they can be very effective scoring goals for us this way.

I would be willing to play the likes of Lamprou and Koulouris, but mainly against weaker opposition. Koulouris would be close to useless against quality teams, but he can cherry pick goals against the Latvias of the world just like Gekas did. But even then, I'd rate Mitroglou over Koulouris. Lamprou can run circles against the Armenias of the world, but he would be impotent against a quality team. Against better sides, we need more defensive players, guys who we know can track back and put a strong foot into a challenge. Players like Zeca, Holebas, Stafylidis, and Koutris meet those requirements; whereas Masouras and Lamprou not so much. We need guys who can press and chase, not guys who lack the technical quality to put strong teams to the sword. If we had a really fit and in-form Fetfatzidis, then it would be a different story; we could probably drop Stafylidis and place Zeca into the midfield to form a trio of DMs, creating a 3-3-1-3:
    Retsos---Manolas---Sokratis
    Zeca---Samaris---Kourbelis
    Tachtsidis
    Donis---Fortounis---Fetfatzidis

Donis would be expected to track back a bit, but Fetfatzidis would be in free role, much like Ninis was against Germany; the difference being that Fetfatzidis is more suited to the wing than Ninis ever was and he would be more dangerous running at opponents with the ball. But again, that would depend on Fetfatzidis raising his fitness levels and getting into his best form to be effective for Greece. Also, with an attacking trio like these three, we can offer a lot of movement, switching of the wings, and make it difficult for opponents to rely on a point of reference. Technically speaking this is a 3-3-1-3-0 and you would have Tachtsidis, for example, make runs ahead to create a 3-3-3-1. Tachtsidis could just as easily slot back and let Kourbelis get forward. If we are really desperate, one of the CBs could get forward to add an extra target man into the box.
    I don’t see us ever be this creative with formations and players. But it is needed. With that formation Don I think Kourbelis and Zeca have to act as wingbacks with and without possession in my opinion. Or have Retsos and Sokratis wider with Zeca and Kourbelis filling in the gaps. As we will need players to open up to go forward. Otherwise it will be too congested and there will be no options. Also Donis and Fetfa would have to tuck in I think. We’re better off playing 4 at the back.

Fetfatzidis would provide more of a threat at 50-60%. His ball control alone will help our team move around. I do understand what your saying though a Fetfa at 100% would be dangerous and benefical for us. I think you would need wide options to play I think. Otherwise we will get overrun on the wing and dangerous balls will come in our box.

In my opinion we need to be solid outwide where we don’t get beaten. Everything else will take care of itself. That’s why if Lykogiannis was to play FB 9 times out of 10 he will not get beaten. That’s what I understand after watching him play.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    We tried Masouras and Kolovos against Italy. It was a mistake because they didn't really threaten nor did they apply enough pressure on Italy. I think between the two, we could only afford one at most in the game against Italy. We needed another player, one more defensive instead.

Speaking of Maniatis' performance against Belgium, there was one chance where Maniatis was suppose to cut the ball back to Donis, but instead he played into the 6 yard box with no one oncoming. Had he cut back, Donis would have been unmarked with a free shot at goal. Torosidis probably would have known better had he played instead, but at his age now he would struggle to get up like that with any frequency. Realistically, we're looking at Holebas/Stafylidis/Koutris to dash onto the left, mix and match with Fortounis or Donis to open up space for the cross, and for big guys like Tachtsidis and Kourbelis to offer an aerial threat/presence with runs into the box. I'd like to see Torosidis, Samaris, Sokratis and Manolas get forward into those kinds of situations too because they can be very effective scoring goals for us this way.

I would be willing to play the likes of Lamprou and Koulouris, but mainly against weaker opposition. Koulouris would be close to useless against quality teams, but he can cherry pick goals against the Latvias of the world just like Gekas did. But even then, I'd rate Mitroglou over Koulouris. Lamprou can run circles against the Armenias of the world, but he would be impotent against a quality team. Against better sides, we need more defensive players, guys who we know can track back and put a strong foot into a challenge. Players like Zeca, Holebas, Stafylidis, and Koutris meet those requirements; whereas Masouras and Lamprou not so much. We need guys who can press and chase, not guys who lack the technical quality to put strong teams to the sword. If we had a really fit and in-form Fetfatzidis, then it would be a different story; we could probably drop Stafylidis and place Zeca into the midfield to form a trio of DMs, creating a 3-3-1-3:
    Retsos---Manolas---Sokratis
    Zeca---Samaris---Kourbelis
    Tachtsidis
    Donis---Fortounis---Fetfatzidis

Donis would be expected to track back a bit, but Fetfatzidis would be in free role, much like Ninis was against Germany; the difference being that Fetfatzidis is more suited to the wing than Ninis ever was and he would be more dangerous running at opponents with the ball. But again, that would depend on Fetfatzidis raising his fitness levels and getting into his best form to be effective for Greece. Also, with an attacking trio like these three, we can offer a lot of movement, switching of the wings, and make it difficult for opponents to rely on a point of reference. Technically speaking this is a 3-3-1-3-0 and you would have Tachtsidis, for example, make runs ahead to create a 3-3-3-1. Tachtsidis could just as easily slot back and let Kourbelis get forward. If we are really desperate, one of the CBs could get forward to add an extra target man into the box.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Originally posted by Reaper View Post
    Just so tired of these players... we only have around 5 players who even deserve to be an international.

............................Vlacho................ ..............

Retsos......Manolas.......Sokratis.........Koutris

..........................Zeca??.................. ..........
    ..........................Galanopoulos/Pelkas.................

Gianniotas..............Fortounis............Lamprou

...........................................Donis
    If I was to fill in the blanks I would put these guys in. It seems a more attacking line up. We have never tried an attacking lineup like this and we should give it a go. If it goes in the toilet then we should do what was recommended above. Retsos should be considered at RB, Galanopoulos or Pelkas should be put there because of the way they press, Lamprou outwide who is a real winger and Donis upfront who can be all fire and fury.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post

That was when Greece played Belgium last. We played the following system:
    Karnezis
    Maniatis---Manolas---Sokrais---Tzavellas
    Samaris---Tziolis
    Zeca---Fortounis---Stafylidis
    Donis

Stafyllidis dropped back and Tzavellas tucked in at times to create a back five. Zeca would drop back to add numbers to the defensive midfield. That left Fortounis and Donis further up field when Greece defended deep in a 5-3-1-1. Belgium won 1-2, but Stafylidis had a shot from distance ring off the post and we had drawn level when Zeca scored. We had a competitive team, but Belgium's quality won the game.

It's not that different from what I recommended. You still have Zeca and Stafylidis really high up the pitch in roles that may suit them. Donis and Fortounis remain relatively free. Tachtisdis would be an upgrade over Tziolis. We drop Tzavellas, who was a defensive liability anyways, and replace Maniatis with either Torosidis or Retsos, both of whom are superior options to Maniatis.

In my opinion, if we had fielded that team against Belgium in the 1-2 loss, we would have performed better. If we are to play against the big boys and be competitive, this is the kind of team that could do it.
    We had a chance to win that game. I’m so happy Karnezis is not our keeper anymore. I’m all for Donis playing at ST. He was an animal that game. We need to see more involvement from Donis when played at ST. We can’t afford our ST to be in spot for 90 minutes. This game was an example of how the ST should be involved. Donis was nearly everywhere that game. And that’s what we need. Mitroglou is too slow and can be useful only off the bench, just like you said.

I thought Maniatis did ok. He wasn’t great but he wasn’t bad. He delivered in some decent crosses and pushed up when needed. I definitely agree Torosidis and Retsos are better. With Stafylidis I still believe he can be useful just not as a LB. He needs more work there. If we want to use him we should push him at LM/LW. Just like he was used in that game. His shots are needed and he is able to give a smart through balls. We just need to use him correctly for him to be useful. Lykogiannis can be the LB.

I agree we should set out the team similar to that one above but I would like to see how we would do with actual wingers first before we put Zeca and Stafy outwide.
    Last edited by Dean97; 06-26-2019, 11:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X