Suggested Call Ups/Starting 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do have eleven, but with Mantalos out injured, Kourbelis would have to take his place.

Comment

Sokratis is injured. Anastasiadis will probably go three/five at the back for the Bosnia match. It would be interesting to see if he adopts three at the back today too.

The fact that Anastasiadis mentioned playing Kourbelis at CB and that he called up Kolovetsios in place of the injured Mantalos suggests to me they knew Sokratis had a knock. This defense was thin even with him in it.

The coach should have called up Mavropanos as soon as he had the chance. In fact we should have called him up or asked him to come along during the Nations League, even if he was injured. This is a player who will make his breakthrough in the first team very soon and now a perfectly healthy Mavropanos sits at home. He and Risvanis have previous experience playing together too and are both very familiar with playing three at the back.

So with Sokratis out we're now in big trouble at the back.

Losing Mantalos is another thing. What options do we have now once Fortounis leaves the pitch? He's usually by the 70th minute with OSFP. If Fortounis gets injured/suspended we will have no creative options. Where is Tachtsidis or Fetfatzidis when you need them? Both have scored and assisted more goals than Bakasetas had in 20 appearances for Greece. Both are far more experienced. Both are more far talented. Yet both sit at home while Bakasetas may very well be the player that comes on for Fortounis when we go looking for a goal in the last 20 minutes.

Comment

Worse. Say the ball rebounds off Bakasetas into the opponent's goal by accident.. given how unnaturally and artificially hot the Greek media is already on Bakasetas, I can see him becoming a starter for the next 12 games..

Comment

https://vimeo.com/247782402

Just to show everyone Durmisaj. I’ve always said he was good. Look at the goals he scores. They are not tap ins like Koulouris. Outside the box and powerful shots. Seems very clinical. Good pick up by Anastasiadis as the guy can also speak Greek and desperately wants to represent Greece. I’ve always said he was good even before he was called up.

I dont want to brag or anything but Kolovos scored the winning goal, someone who I always rated, where others have overlooked him. Way better than Bakasetas can control and pass a ball and can get himself in dangerous positions. Glad and proud he scored he deserves to be considered in June.

Also to note Masouras is a player I like and also inspired our team to go forward with his enthusiasm. I see big things with him going forward. Masouras and Kolovos should be ahead of Mantalos and Pelkas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean97 View Post
            https://vimeo.com/247782402

Just to show everyone Durmisaj. I’ve always said he was good. Look at the goals he scores. They are not tap ins like Koulouris. Outside the box and powerful shots. Seems very clinical. Good pick up by Anastasiadis as the guy can also speak Greek and desperately wants to represent Greece. I’ve always said he was good even before he was called up.

I dont want to brag or anything but Kolovos scored the winning goal, someone who I always rated, where others have overlooked him. Way better than Bakasetas can control and pass a ball and can get himself in dangerous positions. Glad and proud he scored he deserves to be considered in June.

Also to note Masouras is a player I like and also inspired our team to go forward with his enthusiasm. I see big things with him going forward. Masouras and Kolovos should be ahead of Mantalos and Pelkas.
            Problem is, it doesn't matter that Bakasetas is shit - that when he left AEK - no one picked him up etc and had to return to AEK.
            The media have decided they like him. Therefore Kolovos, Masouras and others have their work cut out to get a starting spot.
            Clearly Kolovos and Masouras are the better players, but when has that type of reality ever bothered an NT coach?

Comment

I must say, Kolovos impressed me over the two games. Much quicker player than what I remembered him and decent attacking option. Better than Bakasetas that’s for sure.

I think he will have Greek team offers at the end of the season

Comment

The Ethniki I want to see at the Euro (23-Man Squad)

Vlachodimos (Benfica)
                Paschalakis (PAOK)
                Dioudis (Panathinaikos)
                Bakakis (AEK)
                Papastathopoulos (Arsenal)
                Siovas (Leganes)
                Manolas (Roma)
                Mavropanos (Arsenal)
                Koutris (Olympiakos)
                Retsos (Bayer Leverkusen)
                Kourbelis (Panathinaikos)
                Zeca (Cobenhavn)
                Samaris (Benfica)
                Siopis (Aris)
                Fortounis (Olympiakos)
                Bouzoukis (Panathinaikos)
                Vrousaj (Olympiakos)
                Masouras (Olympiakos)
                Lamprou (PAOK)
                Donis (Stuttgart)
                Durmishaj (Panionios)
                Koulouris (PAOK)
                Mitroglou (Marseille)

It's a year away, so some things could change.

Goalkeepers
                Easiest choices for me. All class and lots of variety with experience and youth in this position regardless. Barkas dropped over Dioudis is a no-brainer. Had some good moments in the Champions League but is responsible for a lot of dropped points this year. I find him overrated due to this inconsistency. Can pull off a world-class save and make a bonehead move in the same minute. Would be giving some more minutes to Tsintotas and Giannikoglou if I were AEK coach.

Defence
                Papadopoulos has been injured too long, I'd much rather have the center-backs I chose unless he hits some unbelievable form or signs with PAOK and stays healthy.
                Right-back is a weak link. Don't love Bakakis. If Retsos is half decent there he takes starting spot. Players like Lyratzis or G. Masouras could grow significantly by then. We're much much more fortunate at left-back position, even without Holebas.

Midfield
                If Galanopoulos comes back strong from his injury, he could slot into Kourbelis' place. Samaris looks like the player we've been wanting and Zeca is a workhorse in the center. Siopis is an absolute pit bull and could be very important off the bench, maybe start too. Bouzoukis not getting called up was criminal, he's a prospect. Especially with the likes of Bouchalakis (our worst player vs. Bosnia) being called up, a midfielder who couldn't even stand out in the English Championship. Bouzoukis also kicks Mantalos out at the moment, who's pulling the same figures at just 20 and holds great promise. Only way Mantalos breaks into my team is if he dramatically improves for the remainder of this season and next season. This pushes Bouzoukis into center-midfield.

Wings
                Christodoulopoulos being dropped is controverial, I guess. Has spent years with the national team and has nothing to show for. I'd rather have both Lamprou and Vrousaj. Both ripping up the Eredivisie on loan spells and pulling better figures in a stronger league than Lazaros. Don't love his attitude. Donis and Masouras are easy picks. Speed, skill and youth (I have no bias against old players, we just have no good 'older' wingers as we did with Salpingidis, Samaras, etc.) out wide.

Strikers
                Manos could take Durmishaj's spot, if he improves his form. We know he can score. I think he's Olympiakos' best striker - in contrast to Guerrero and Hassan. He was just the easiest to loan out I suppose. Don't love Mitroglou's attitude either. His experience wins him the spot but I wouldn't hesitate to drop him if someone shines in the meantime. Koulouris picks himself.
                Last edited by Ethnikos; 03-27-2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Durmisaj reminds me of Charisteas. I still feel he should be playing for Albania instead though.

Comment

It's still too early to call the squad for Euro 2020. We haven't even qualified. I don't even believe we have found a true core group of players for the eleven yet. For example, it's too premature to think Torosidis won't be the option we still need at RB. Retsos is more of a full-back, not a wing-back. Torosidis is also the captain when he plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                      Durmisaj reminds me of Charisteas. I still feel he should be playing for Albania instead though.
                      I was surprised Manos was not called, but these are Syriza times - so I was just happy we didn't offer some former Al Quaeda militant a cap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post

Problem is, it doesn't matter that Bakasetas is shit - that when he left AEK - no one picked him up etc and had to return to AEK.
                        The media have decided they like him. Therefore Kolovos, Masouras and others have their work cut out to get a starting spot.
                        Clearly Kolovos and Masouras are the better players, but when has that type of reality ever bothered an NT coach?
                        Yeah it boggles my mind every time a player like him gets called up. It probably does bother the coach but everything is so confusing regarding Bakasetas that it is pointless to care at this point. If EPO are getting money from his agent then it’s understandable but how much money is being offered. There has to be some sort of deal going on behind the scenes with Bakasetas agent and EPO. Who knows. All I know and also the majority of people know is that he is by far not good enough for international level. I actually see him without a club after the season. I don’t see AEK wanting or needing him. Played like shit against Lichtenstein out of all teams. He couldnt do anything in that game. I don’t think the media play such a role anymore, hence why we don’t see Tziolis and Tzavellas anymore. I do believe player agents have some sort of say but I don’t really read much into these things. The national team always feels like it being sabotaged by many things. That’s why we cant play to our full potential. I can guarantee if certain players that are in my mind play then we could see a different and improved team. Although Masouras and Kolovos are better than Bakasetas I still think we can do even better, as I rate Fetfatzidis and Manthatis much higher than both of them. I can see bigger things for this team if only there wasn’t so much conspiracy, idiocy and corruption, then we could see much better call ups and a much better team.
                        Last edited by Dean97; 03-28-2019, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Ethnikos
                          Ethnikos commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Dude, why are we talking about Manthatis still? Fetfa needs to catch some form at Aris. Let’s not forget Olympiakos sold him 6 months into his largely anticipated return bc he was crap. Masouras shouldn’t even be mentioned with the other 2. Kolovos showed a lot of promise as a youngster and his goal the other day was crucial. Would still take Lamprou/Vrousaj over him.

• Originally posted by Ethnikos View Post
                        The Ethniki I want to see at the Euro (23-Man Squad)

Vlachodimos (Benfica)
                        Paschalakis (PAOK)
                        Dioudis (Panathinaikos)
                        Bakakis (AEK)
                        Papastathopoulos (Arsenal)
                        Siovas (Leganes)
                        Manolas (Roma)
                        Mavropanos (Arsenal)
                        Koutris (Olympiakos)
                        Retsos (Bayer Leverkusen)
                        Kourbelis (Panathinaikos)
                        Zeca (Cobenhavn)
                        Samaris (Benfica)
                        Siopis (Aris)
                        Fortounis (Olympiakos)
                        Bouzoukis (Panathinaikos)
                        Vrousaj (Olympiakos)
                        Masouras (Olympiakos)
                        Lamprou (PAOK)
                        Donis (Stuttgart)
                        Durmishaj (Panionios)
                        Koulouris (PAOK)
                        Mitroglou (Marseille)

It's a year away, so some things could change.

Goalkeepers
                        Easiest choices for me. All class and lots of variety with experience and youth in this position regardless. Barkas dropped over Dioudis is a no-brainer. Had some good moments in the Champions League but is responsible for a lot of dropped points this year. I find him overrated due to this inconsistency. Can pull off a world-class save and make a bonehead move in the same minute. Would be giving some more minutes to Tsintotas and Giannikoglou if I were AEK coach.

Defence
                        Papadopoulos has been injured too long, I'd much rather have the center-backs I chose unless he hits some unbelievable form or signs with PAOK and stays healthy.
                        Right-back is a weak link. Don't love Bakakis. If Retsos is half decent there he takes starting spot. Players like Lyratzis or G. Masouras could grow significantly by then. We're much much more fortunate at left-back position, even without Holebas.

Midfield
                        If Galanopoulos comes back strong from his injury, he could slot into Kourbelis' place. Samaris looks like the player we've been wanting and Zeca is a workhorse in the center. Siopis is an absolute pit bull and could be very important off the bench, maybe start too. Bouzoukis not getting called up was criminal, he's a prospect. Especially with the likes of Bouchalakis (our worst player vs. Bosnia) being called up, a midfielder who couldn't even stand out in the English Championship. Bouzoukis also kicks Mantalos out at the moment, who's pulling the same figures at just 20 and holds great promise. Only way Mantalos breaks into my team is if he dramatically improves for the remainder of this season and next season. This pushes Bouzoukis into center-midfield.

Wings
                        Christodoulopoulos being dropped is controverial, I guess. Has spent years with the national team and has nothing to show for. I'd rather have both Lamprou and Vrousaj. Both ripping up the Eredivisie on loan spells and pulling better figures in a stronger league than Lazaros. Don't love his attitude. Donis and Masouras are easy picks. Speed, skill and youth (I have no bias against old players, we just have no good 'older' wingers as we did with Salpingidis, Samaras, etc.) out wide.

Strikers
                        Manos could take Durmishaj's spot, if he improves his form. We know he can score. I think he's Olympiakos' best striker - in contrast to Guerrero and Hassan. He was just the easiest to loan out I suppose. Don't love Mitroglou's attitude either. His experience wins him the spot but I wouldn't hesitate to drop him if someone shines in the meantime. Koulouris picks himself.
                        I agree with you that it was an injustice that Bouzoukis didn’t get called up. Same goes for Lamprou. Both have been more inform than Bakasetas.

Comment

• I can’t see EPO winning out on Bakasetas’s agent for what?? When AEK didn’t renew for more money no one wanted him and he re-signed for less money and we’re not talking big bucks.

Greeks just like him cause he has a shot on him, not that we have seen anything great of it the last 12 months but seriously, that’s why he’s rated in Greece, he takes shots. It’s more a reflection of the football IQ in Greece

Comment

• Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
                            I can’t see EPO winning out on Bakasetas’s agent for what?? When AEK didn’t renew for more money no one wanted him and he re-signed for less money and we’re not talking big bucks.

Greeks just like him cause he has a shot on him, not that we have seen anything great of it the last 12 months but seriously, that’s why he’s rated in Greece, he takes shots. It’s more a reflection of the football IQ in Greece
                            So are you saying the EPO still have role in call ups? He was dropped out of the lineup against Bosnia. Surely Anastasiadis knows Bakasetas limitations. He did absolutely nothing of importance against Lichtenstein... More harm than good. I just don’t get it... how many people have a say in these call ups?

Comment

• Bakasetas is done. 20 caps and nothing to show. He has to do more at the club level before he can be reconsidered for a place with Greece.

Bakasetas and Bakakis play together at AEK. That was the key rationale for their inclusion, assuming everything is above board of course. It's the same rationale with Kolovos and Mavrias.

My feeling is that Torosidis will have to start at RB when he's available. Bakakis has shown some good things to date, but he has failed to convince. Most disappointing of all is his poor ball control. He's far from assured his place on the team.

Mavrias might win out if Bakakis fails to truly convince. Stafylidis and Mavrias played together at the youth levels and so have past experience/chemistry. Also Kolovos will likely start in the next match, both play together at Omonia, a key reason for their call-ups. I think that puts Mavrias at an advantage over Bakakis, especially as Bakasetas' star continues falling. But Mavrias is only now beginning to get back on his feet. Time will soon tell about him also.

Koutris I think will now start on the left unless he suffers a bad performance in any upcoming games. Stafylidis will have to really raise his game up at the club level to win his place back.

Koutris and Torosidis are both at OSFP and so they should have a good understanding between themselves, something our wing-backs need. They are the best fits right now at wing-back.

I must say Koutris did impress me, especially with his tactical understanding and one-timed crosses. However, he too has to do a lot better with his ball control. Once he moves abroad, which hopefully he does soon, he'll really grow as a player.

Comment

Working...
                              X