UEFA Champions League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did Bouchalakis go from a player who couldn't cut it in the championship to starting for a Pot 3 Champions League team? Lol. Also, I hate to say it but Masouras is probably Oly's worst starter.

Comment

He runs a lot but there is just not that polish to his game

Comment

He listens in training and works hard on the pitch. Greece has no talented CMs so Bouxa is needed.

Comment

For all we know, we might not have any talent at CM. Tachtsidis and Bouchalakis are the best we got for now. In time, others might fit into the conversation, but that's what we have and we'll need them both in the NT, one on the bench and one on the pitch.

Masouras is doing what he needs to do: work hard. He has to keep on hustling. He defended well this game. He and Tsimikas work well in tandem. But how many times did we see Masouras play the ball backwards? It wouldn't hurt to try running at his opponents a little more. He has to at least try and win a foul. He can't be afraid of losing the ball. He has to try.

Bouchalakis doesn't take command. He's now at an age where he's had games under his feet, where's gone abroad, where he's now expected to play for OSFP regularly, and he's not very active on the pitch beyond his movement. He needs to get on the ball, he needs to call for it, and take that burden off Valbuena to a certain extent. He's too timid. He can't be afraid of responsibility.

Tsimikas is full of energy, he's pacey, he can cross, he can cover ground and defend. He's not afraid of top players and top teams. He's proving to be a good prospect for club and country. I think it's a shame Koutris couldn't play this game, but Tsimikas did well here.

Comment

Yea, I suspect he does not call for the ball because he is the beta to Guilherme. Also, players who lack in skill don't often call for the ball as they know it could go wrong. Hopefully a full season as starter gives him more confidence. As it stands he is already far far more useful than Kourbelis and Samaris.

Comment

Great points Don and Reaper. For me Masouras has improved. He has great desire and attitude. One of theses day we will score a spectacular goal. He has tried the bicycle kick and the 1st time volley in these Champions league matches. He always works very hard and you can see he doesn’t get complacent and rightfully should start for this team. Tsimikas is growing with more and more confidence and I’m very happy to see it. That cross he gave Masouras was picture perfect. I wish Masouras finished that off either the 1st time volley.

As for Bouchalakis he needs to get involved more and be more threatening. Luckily he pressed the Spurs player which lead to a penalty for us. I see more positives in playing him instead of Samaris and Kourbelis for the NT.
              The thing I liked about Tachtsidis was his vision and passing. No other Greek CM has or had the level and quality. Haven’t seen much of him lately but that’s what stood out for me.

Comment

Olympiacos wants 10 million for Bouchalakis! That valuation doesn't seem wrong with me, but I'd say he's more within the range of $5m to $10m. I think much of that valuation is driven by the fact OSFP will hard press to find a quick alternative, although Androutsos does seem to be the option they have in wait.

Bouchalakis ran the most of the OSFP players against Tottenham (he was only second to Christian Ericksen in distance covered) and had somewhere between a 89% to 93% pass completion rate.

Tottenham didn't play at a high intensity (compared to their usual selves, they looked rather lethargic), but the match was looking like it was going to slip away until Podence halved the deficit before the break. Valbuena's experience evened the match out.

Olympiacos played well, but Tottenham didn't have to work very hard for 2-0 lead they got and my impression was that they could almost have carried on at the level they were playing and run away with a 3-0 or 4-0 result. Credit to Martins for making his team brave on the attack even though that meant leaving themselves open for Tottenham to grab that second goal, as an example.

Comment

The fans of Olympiakos made it hard for Tottenham. They didn’t look like themselves and that’s all thanks to the loud and passionate fans. They made them buckle. Also big credit has to go to the players and coach. Martins kept the same line up for the champions league since the beginning of the season.

If we get an offer for Bouchalakis at 10 mil then we should sell him. He’s worth around 3 million I think.

Comment

Here is my take.

Tottenham put out a very strong team. This is the club that was in the CL final last year. What went wrong for them? Their team is worth roughly 10 times that of Olympiacos.

Olympiacos is a pure club - a true representation of its area and its country's most positive identity facets. No victim culture at Olympiacos - just look at the banners around the Karaiskaki last night. Banners hung representing Farsala, Sparti, Xania, Preveza, Serifos etc - Katerini to Pyrgos - from Rethymno to Kavala. The club represents Hellas in no uncertain terms. The Olympiacos logo depicts the ancient beliefs and heritage of the people of Hellas. No political 'Refugees Welcome' banners like at AEK or 'Free Palestine' banners like at PAOK.. This club - Olympiacos - has a clear identity and it is Hellas and Hellenism. The team represents one of the biggest ports on earth - a truly working class area - the team plays to win, to attack for those represented. We came at Tottenham - they didn't like it. Our fans hurt their ears - they didn't like it. It was hot, around 27 degrees in the stadium - they didn't like it. Their super talented Moura almost got them out of jail, but it wasn't enough. ENIC's money was not enough - soul can counter money. That is what happened. If we had Moura on our team - with the soul behind him from the fans, he could have had a hattrick for Olympiacos last night. Olympiacos is a vehicle for what is left of Hellenism and opposing teams hate playing a team with such a strong identity.

Comment

• There's no amount of praise I can reserve for those remarks. For a club whose motto is "we rule this land," I'd say that's very well put.

With respect to Bouchalakis, that 10 million valuation would have to be one for EPL clubs. They're the only clubs that splash preposterous sums of money, like the 40 million Newcastle paid for Joelinton or the 19 million Fulham paid for Mitroglou (who apparently spent his time walking around the training grounds with a protein bar in his hand the whole time). Why any EPL club would want a player who never really cut it at Nottingham Forest is beyond me. I think for 5 million Olympiakos would happily let him go to a club like Bologna who were linked with him over the summer. Cristiano Ronaldo remarked not too long ago that these days a player can be worth 100 million without kicking ball. He's not mistaken.

Tottenham do look a little burnt at both ends of the candle and I think that's why they lost recently to Leicester. BTW, Kane scored another amazing goal. Lost his balance and still managed to tuck the ball away with his torso half planted into the ground.

Comment

• Meriah is so bad. He is the biggest liability in the team. We need to replace him asap. We couldn’t do much this game. I thought Tsimikas and Camara were our best players. If we had a midfielder like Camara in the NT, man we would be so much better. Semedo was at fault for the 2 corner goals. Mariah was at fault for the first goal. Let it go right through his legs and then later missed a golden opportunity right in front. Meriah would be the only player I’d drop. We played different players today and Lovera and Benzia were very ordinary. The pitch seemed slippery. I guess Martins rested players so they wouldn’t burn out. If I had to criticise the coach at all it’s because he continuously picks Meriah. He isn’t good enough and either is Avraam. We need better there. The score was 3-1 loss to Red star.

Comment

• Meriah costing us again... Ba and Cisse both superior.

Benzia - I hope he leaves in the transfer window.

Comment

• I don’t know if he was that bad maybe it’s earky days but Benzia wasn’t effective at all...

Why wasn’t Cisse considered first?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean97 View Post
                              I don’t know if he was that bad maybe it’s earky days but Benzia wasn’t effective at all...

Why wasn’t Cisse considered first?
                              Cisse injured I think.

Benzia has had a terrible career. Was upset when we signed him. Didn't need him.

Comment

• Ridiculous second yellow to Benzia which swung the game around.

Meriah is tragic

Comment

Working...
                                X