Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Here is Fountas...

https://youtu.be/PnJyAOTfPK0

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    I’ve been thinking for the past few days what formation and tactics the team should use going forward... I know we have problems at RB so I’ve decided that we could use this line up without the likes of Manolas, Sokratis, Samaris and Mitroglou...

A 3-5-2 formation which turns into 4-5-1 in defence....

Vlachodimos

Retsos Hatzidiakos Mavropanos

Limnios Vasiliadis Gala Tsimikas

Mantalos

Fountas Pavlidis

This is how we should attack I think. Having great width and speed on the flanks. Having 2 strikers in the box constantly with Mantalos also making runs inside. Vasiliadis and Gala are the engines of the team and one can also attack while the other covers in defence. Having 3 at the back at all times will help us. Also in possession we can keep the ball even more in my opinion with a lot of options to choose from. Also in case of a counter we will always have 3 at the back with the wings backs and CMs sprinting back to help out and win the ball back. I would also encourage the back 3 especially Retsos and Mavropanos to carry the ball forward if there’s space. Also for one of them to make the odd run in the box when the cross eventually comes in.

In defence, Retsos is the key and so is Tsimikas. Retsos will become the RB in defence and Tsimikas will become a full LB. Which will now be a back 4. Mantalos would drift into the left to help Tsimikas and then in attack would go back in the middle. Pavlidis in defence would hang back only a touch when defending while Fountas stays further up as much as possible, so if we get the ball there’s an option for a long ball with Fountas chasing in behind the defence because of his speed. We have to be compact in defence at all times. I also would like the team playing a high line at all times...

Vlachodimos

Retsos Hatzidiakos Mavropanos Tsimikas

Limnios Vasiliadis Gala Mantalos

Fountas Pavlidis (who is a few yards behind Fountas to hold the ball up and lay it off to someone who can then play a long ball if it calls for it.)

Super subs can be Fetfatzidis and Donis.

This should be the starting 11 if everyone is fit and playing...This was basically made because we lack a decent RB. Also I’d like to see us have 2 strikers. And this line up and tactics could be used against all team, big or small... Captain would be Hatzidiakos and free kick taker would be Mantalos and Tsimikas can take care of the corners.
    Last edited by Dean97; 05-31-2020, 01:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
    Unfortunately Retsos has only had 14 minutes of football in England so far and it was in that FA cup game, which Sheffield had won in extra time.

Many key players (or would be key players) for Greece are struggling for minutes. This is a big problem for our team.
    I like Retsos a lot. I believe he has a place in the Greece squad. Hatzidiakos and Retsos should be our future CB pairing. Retsos is struggling for minutes but there’s no doubt he has talent. Especially when you look at Greece’s talent pool. Mavropanos is another player with big potential. Hopefully all 3 of these guys are the next big 3 after Sokratis, Manolas and Kyriakos Papadopoulos. With injuries aside I’m sure they will be.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Unfortunately Retsos has only had 14 minutes of football in England so far and it was in that FA cup game, which Sheffield had won in extra time.

Many key players (or would be key players) for Greece are struggling for minutes. This is a big problem for our team.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Retsos should make his start tomorrow:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...-clash-2005747

Leave a comment:

• Amorgos
    replied
    Retsos has played 114 minutes the last 2 seasons, good talent but needs much more game time.

Leave a comment:

• Kojak
    replied
    Quite simply the opposition players that Hatzidiakos, Retsos, Mavro etc play against day in day out is the main reason they should always be higher in the pecking order. Any greek defenders currently plying there trade in greece or obscure european leagues just aren't getting tested enough, bar the odd exceptions like tsimikas etc who at least showcase their true talents in the UCL and europe leagues.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    Hatzidiakos, Retsos and Mavropanos should be definite starters for this team especially if Manolas and Sokratis don’t want to play anymore. There’s no need to have players like Poungouras, Kolovetsios or Triantafylopoulos.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    commented on 's reply
    Like Dean says below, Mavropanos is actually right-footed.

• Dean97
    replied
    Mavropanos is actually right footed. He has been playing very well lately. He didn’t play yesterday ( I think he is resting his hip.)

He is very good at distributing. He is big and very strong. Would be a welcome addition for Greece.

Here are the highlights of his last 5 games. https://youtu.be/qINeywKUGL4

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Three at the back is trending again. PSG adopted it in their loss to BVB (who play a 3-4-3). I don't think PSG did it out of deference to BVB, they did it because it's the kind of format they want to adopt. More and more teams are playing it and the reality is Greece should have adopted this kind of system back when Santos was coach.

Even if we don't go that way, I still think 3 CBs in a back 4 is the answer. Thuram did well from France from 1998 to 2000 at RB. France in 1998 we over-reliant on their CBs. It was their defense that got them to the final. Even in 2000, it was Blanc who opened France's account at the tournament by getting forward in open play. Blanc was originally a forward in his Montpellier days when he played alongside Cantona and Valderrama.

I think we should play Retsos or Hatzidiakos at RB. Bakakis doesn't merit a place on the pitch over either of these two. Mavropanos, a left-footed player, should play in the middle alongside Manolas to give us that balance (one left-footed player and one right-footed). Otherwise, we go back three, and Bakakis or Limnios in the middle on the wide right.

Leave a comment:

• Dean97
    replied
    I’m a fan of 3-4-2-1. Even 3-4-1-2. Having 2 strikers could do the trick, especially with how bad we are in finishing our chances. It has to take a scrappy goal or an own goal most of the time. Apart from Pavlidis and Limnios who both scored decent goals respectively.

Hopefully Retsos starts playing some games so he can get the call. Unless JVS really rates him and calls him up anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Bouchalakis, more than anything, simply doesn't have the energy and legs to run around like the others. For me, he's a back-up to Vasiliadis.

I'm a fan of the 3-5-2 (like Sheffield United, where Retsos now plays) or even the 3-4-2-1 (like Atalanta play). There are teams finding a great deal of success with systems oriented around a back three. And national teams are playing it too. Germany and Netherlands played with a back three. Italy are better suited to playing a back three, to the point where both their supporters and media recommend it. Regardless, if we stick to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, I still believe Hatzidiakos or Retsos should play at right-back. One way or the other, I feel we will need to play 3 center-backs.

Leave a comment:

• Don Giovanni
    replied
    Van't Schip may stick to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.. I do think we need two forwards in central positions to attack the goal, given our lack of goals, and I think 3 center-backs makes more sense for us given our quality there, even if that means playing one as a right-back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X