Suggested Call Ups/Starting 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting post. The thing I don’t get is that you say Fortounis too slow but you’d rather put Taxi there. Taxi is good for height, strength and sometimes vision nowadays. I don’t mind him being CAM because his height can be used as an advantage inside the box to score a header. We need someone fast like Pelkas in my opinion in that position. It also depends what formation aswell.

In in my opinion the best midfield right now would be Galanopoulos and Kourbelis. They both run and hustle. They cover ground and are fast enough to track back. They aren’t like Samaris on the ball but are good enough. Even Samaris isn’t that effective to be honest. He hasn’t really assisted anything for the national team.

Comment

A good analysis of our players abroad and some in the GSL.

https://hellasfooty.blogspot.com/201...ap-up.html?m=1

Comment

We got qualifiers towards the end of the month.

Samaris is playing again for Benfica, but the truth is he's not a great option in the midfield. He's got little in the way of energy. His passing ability is not good enough at the highest levels. He's really a center-back or center-half, a kind of libero that mops up in front of the defense rather than behind. In fact, Benfica played him at CB recently. Moreover, Benfica plan to sell him and it is said Newcastle are interested in his services. I don't think this player elevates our game, but he's good option if we have to absorb pressure and he's decent at directing traffic, organizing players around him both in defense and attack.

Apparently we're calling up Kolovos, who is now based in Cyprus. I think it's very odd he's being considered for a place on the team. He's not good enough and has no merit being among the selected.

We are also, apparently, calling up an Albania player named Durmishaj. He has no Greek ancestry. He represented Albania at the youth level. He should really represent Albania at the senior level, not Greece. It may just be that the Greek NT and OSFP, who plan to sign him, are playing a game to raise his value, but our lack of center-forwards/strikers has forced us to look at this player. He's quick, tall, and clinical enough to score past PAO and OSFP, but I can't see him scoring against Bosnia. And I don't see how either Mitroglou or Koulouris will be happy competing for a place with a non-Greek. I think this is a call-up that will do more harm than good to an already fragile locker room.

Comment

The thing is we really don’t have any other options. Who do you want to call up that’s good. Bouchalakis is slow and not any better, Kourbelis not any better and Zeca is the same. Tachtsidis might be slightly better passer but is too slow and gets outpaced too often so again not good enough. Siopis and Galanopoulos are short in stature and fairly good passers of the ball. They are not maestros. They are fast and can put in a tackle, but are not really dangerous either. So Samaris seems to be the best option for now and he also plays in a better league. His form has gone up as well. Again this area of the field is and should be our biggest concern.

Durmisaj is Albanian but until tested he has been good and is good. Especially in the GSL. Kolovos I agree with you about we have better like Limnios and Chatzigiovannis but again let’s not jump ahead Kolovos could surprise us a bit. I don’t think he will play maybe off the bench as I see Lamprou and Donis starting.

Comment

How the heck is Kolovos being considered? I think the team has done ok with Bouchalakis playing so I dont mind seen him but I just dont wanna see the usual vlakies of Mantalos and Bakasetas on the wings, how they get away with it at AEK and the Ethniki is beyond me!

Comment

The only reason Kolovos is being considered is because Pelkas is injured and Mantalos and Bakasetas are not in form. I was hoping Bouzoukis would be in the team but I think he has an injury. Not to sure but if he dosent that’s disappointing because I rate him above Kolovos and most certainly Bakasetas.

Kolovos is also an attacking midfielder more so than a winger. We have plenty of wingers to choose from.

Also the team has to do better than 1-0 wins. These scores can easily become 1-1 or a 2-1 defeat. Let’s hope the team gets it right this time around and starts scoring because we all know our defence can only do so much.

I agree Amorgo about Bouchalakis. He has done ok with Greece but is not the answer and that goes to all of our options at CDM/CM. We just have to find our best 2 in the middle and hope for the best.

Lastly to mention another player that did ok especially in the nations league was Lykogiannis. If anyone can remember we never conceded with him playing and was 95% of the time unbeatable at LB. He has all the tools positioning, strength, awareness, crossing and shooting, but the one thing that he lacks in my opinion is speed. He isn’t the fastest but I would say just a bit faster than Torosidis if not the same as Torosidis has dropped of significantly in pace because of his age.
              Last edited by Dean97; 03-09-2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

We need players in the middle with energy. The younger guys like Kourbelis and Galanopoulos are really the only ones who can give that. Then there is Zeca, who is a supernatural in terms of his stamina. With other players, we immediately play a more withdrawn style that let's the opposition attack in comfort. That's going to be the case with Samaris, as we saw with Tziolis. Croatia, Hungary, and Finland all played with ease attacking in our final third.

Greece needs to stop playing attacking wingers. We don't have them. If Kolovos, Bakasetas, Pelkas, Lazaros, and Mantalos are the options we consider for the wing, we won't have the width we desire in the final third. And none instill the sort of confidence to track back like Charisteas, Stelios or Salpingidis had, something they only did to any good effect when they were still under 30. After 30, unless it's fitness phenomenon like Zagorakis, forget it.

I'm not against Samaris getting the call-up, but he's not fast, he's low energy (he sits), and he can't pass well enough. Bouchalakis has a shot and pass in him, Samaris doesn't. Bouchalakis is more of a midfielder. Samaris is a CB, not midfielder. Even for Benfica, they are playing him as a shield and someone who helps organize the players. He has even played CB for them. Samaris doesn't press high enough and he likes to sit too deep, that's the problem with him. Kourbelis too is more of a CB than a midfielder, but he's young and energetic. He can press opponents high up.

If we play a three-man defense, one that plays high up, then we'll need all the others to press and harass opponents. In my mind, our best approach is one that presses high and forces mistakes from opponents in their half. Playing deep and absorbing pressure (i.e., parking the bus) is not how we should set up shop. And realistically, we won't command enough possession nor do we have enough quality on the ball, to really create chances and finish them--unless the opponent is Liechtenstein, forget it. Against Bosnia, if we park the bus, then we'll be lucky to get a 0-0. More likely, we'll lose with that approach. If we press them, they'll cough up the ball and we might get away with a 1-1 draw or 1-0 win. That's what we need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
                  We need players in the middle with energy. The younger guys like Kourbelis and Galanopoulos are really the only ones who can give that. Then there is Zeca, who is a supernatural in terms of his stamina. With other players, we immediately play a more withdrawn style that let's the opposition attack in comfort. That's going to be the case with Samaris, as we saw with Tziolis. Croatia, Hungary, and Finland all played with ease attacking in our final third.

Greece needs to stop playing attacking wingers. We don't have them. If Kolovos, Bakasetas, Pelkas, Lazaros, and Mantalos are the options we consider for the wing, we won't have the width we desire in the final third. And none instill the sort of confidence to track back like Charisteas, Stelios or Salpingidis had, something they only did to any good effect when they were still under 30. After 30, unless it's fitness phenomenon like Zagorakis, forget it.

I'm not against Samaris getting the call-up, but he's not fast, he's low energy (he sits), and he can't pass well enough. Bouchalakis has a shot and pass in him, Samaris doesn't. Bouchalakis is more of a midfielder. Samaris is a CB, not midfielder. Even for Benfica, they are playing him as a shield and someone who helps organize the players. He has even played CB for them. Samaris doesn't press high enough and he likes to sit too deep, that's the problem with him. Kourbelis too is more of a CB than a midfielder, but he's young and energetic. He can press opponents high up.

If we play a three-man defense, one that plays high up, then we'll need all the others to press and harass opponents. In my mind, our best approach is one that presses high and forces mistakes from opponents in their half. Playing deep and absorbing pressure (i.e., parking the bus) is not how we should set up shop. And realistically, we won't command enough possession nor do we have enough quality on the ball, to really create chances and finish them--unless the opponent is Liechtenstein, forget it. Against Bosnia, if we park the bus, then we'll be lucky to get a 0-0. More likely, we'll lose with that approach. If we press them, they'll cough up the ball and we might get away with a 1-1 draw or 1-0 win. That's what we need to do.
                  You make great points. We play the wrong players outwide. Mantalos and Pelkas are not effective their. They are put their only because the coach doesn’t want to put them on the bench. They think by having them all on the same field it’s benefical it’s not. Put players that know that role and them you’ll see a different team.

As as for the midfielders no one is the real answer. Samaris and Tachtsidis have been tried and have failed. Kourbelis has energy but lacks the know how going forward. Zeca can run and run but sometimes can’t get the basics right. Galanopoulos is still young but is promising. He is the type of player that can run and win tackles. We need someone with technique and brains in the middle. Siopis should be tried but is not anything more special. Androutsos and Bouzoukis are players who might in the long term cement a place but even they are not guaranteed. Our best bet is to go with Kourbelis and Galanopoulos as you said. Keep pressing and pressing and shield the defence.

Untill we find that 8 or 10 that can run all day, help defensively, control the the game and have the shooting abilities then we can do something. Otherwise I just see logs in the middle expecting them to be creative but instead lack the quality to play the right balls and fast. Fortounis is one player that looks like he is by himself trying to do all the creating. He isn’t the fastest and he needs help, someone who he can rely on to pass to and also unload some weight of his shoulders.

We can only hope for the best. It would be a good start to play players in the right positions first and then decide who is the best pairing in the middle.

Comment

I agree our midfield options lack quality in possession. I think one solution might be to play Fortounis as a false 9 and one of Tachtsidis, Mantalos, Pelkas or Lazaros as a 10 in order to make for that deficiency at least somewhere on the park. Higher up the pitch is more forgiving and we can try riskier things and have a better chance of getting away with it, even producing goals and chances that might win us the match.

Tachtsidis, I think, would be the ideal candidate because he is great at pressing, physically powerful and big, and technically one of our best. He has a lot of the qualities we saw in Samaras (as well Katsouranis when he was deployed as an AM). Playing him higher up would mean if we lost possession there would be less risk because there is two DMs to still beat, compared to losing possession as a DM with only the defense to beat.

I think a front trio with Donis, Fortounis, Tachtsidis would do us real wonders. Pelkas, Mantalos, Mitroglou, Lazaros, Gianniotis, Karelis, Koulouris, Masouras, Bouzoukis, and Fetfatzidis are all options we could have come off the bench or take their place at some point. One or two of them could prove clutch and could give us that injection or inspiration we may lack in any given game. Right now I think Donis and Fortounis are guaranteed playing time of some kind, if not guaranteed to start. That third spot is more up for grabs.

I'm watching Ozil today for Arsenal. He's not particularly threatening, but he's creating space for his teammates and pulling players left and right. On corners, he's sitting deeper and when United tried to counter on one corner, he pressed the man on the ball and Arsenal regained possession through an erring pass. That's the kind of football Greece will need to play. Get all the men to press and defend, no free roles.

Arsenal are essentially playing a 3-4-1-2 (on paper it's a 3-4-3, but it's really 3-4-1-2). It's the kind of system I have long felt Greece should play, but we don't have a Xhaka nor a Ramsey to really set the tempo. Samaris, Bouchalakis, Tachtsidis and Tziolis are the closest we've got to that and none of them will ever uplift our game and command possession effectively. The fact Tziolis has found consistent playing time illustrates how badly we lack such a player. So our style would need to be more defensive, workmanlike oriented. I think there is real potential for us to play a high-line at the back, to press opponents in their end, and to force errors (give aways, corners, set-pieces in dangerous areas). I think it's a mistake for Greece to focus on counters. The key for us is to force mistakes in the opponent's end and create chances from dead-ball situations, from the wing, and from distance (something Tachtsidis is most capable of doing). Against better sides, we'll need to concede space and defend deeper, especially against teams like France and Belgium who are so good at countering at pace. Against those kinds of opponents, it's a matter of hanging on to dear life.
                    Last edited by Don Giovanni; 03-10-2019, 05:51 PM.

Comment

It also a shame that most of our players lack in the technical aspect of the game. Like the 1st touch, passing and skill. I always feel this team sabotages itself especially when it comes to the first 11 or player selection in general. There are players who are talented that don’t get the right type of recognition. A player like Bouzoukis is talented, the kid can play. Whether Anastasiadis sees that it’s a different story but from what I’ve seen of him, he has and does the things that our current midfielders don’t. His passing and shooting are top notch especially for a Greek players standard. He can dribble well and has great awareness.

Now Siopis is another player untested at international level and he can be a boost to our midfield. Samaris, Tachtsidis, Bouchalakis and Tziolis are all very similar to each and can’t command a midfield. The only advantage they have is height in the midfield. I don’t want to mention Tziolis name regarding the national team anymore. I think Kourbelis is slowly developing more as a player and looks as if he is improving some aspects of his game. He is an aspiring player I believe and only wants to get better. I say give him a year or 2 and we will see a different/better player.

We need a solid 6 and 8 behind Fortounis and then we can see what happens. Kourbelis can be that 6 and I hope he can take charge of it and show us more solidity. Just needs to stay deep, play simple passes and shield the defence. You need 8 who can hold up the ball, control the game and play the right passes. An 8 also has to defend as good as a 6. Then Fortounis can be more relieved and stick to his game which creating space and delivering good balls to our wingers and striker and also run into space to receive a pass and score, instead of dropping in deep all the time to collect the ball.

Im not totally sure what our problem is, whether it’s our midfield that’s more of the problem or playing players in the wrong position. If we just start by playing wingers at wing and our most inform in the middle then we have to accept that our players abilities are not good enough.

Comment

https://hellasfooty.blogspot.com/201...ap-up.html?m=1

Another great analysis of our players...
                        I would start Samaris and Siopis in our midfield after reading this. Also it seems Tachtsidis is back to his best even though it’s Serie B and Fetfatzidis had a great performance for Aris against Olympiakos.

Comment

I think having a balance midfield, like the one you propose, is a good idea. It still has a merit. My one concern is that we lack the options to have that balance. Samaris I think would have to start and he would in theory be that 8. My concern is that he will become the new Tziolis, meaning we will look to play the ball out of the back very slowly and predictably. It's a brain-dead approach. Also, I'd rather play Samaris at CB than DM where I think he's more naturally suited.

Also Greece lacks the collective qualities to maintain possession in a meaningful way. None of our players are as technically sounds as the players produced in the best countries. Our players don't have the instant control of the ball and tactical awareness of Spanish players. Even if we had Andrea Pirlo, on this team he would look like the Pirlo in his final season with AC Milan, where he played like a true holding midfielder to poor effect, not the one who saw a resurgence at Juventus, where he played like a deep-lying play-maker. Anyone who takes on that kind of role for Greece--that of a holding midfielder--has to be like Zagorakis: indefatigable and indomitable in terms of energy and expertise. A guy who never stops and seems to know every trick in the book and a few of his own. We don't have that and the closest player we have to him is Zeca, who loads of energy, but not the same level smarts. We sort of had a Zagorakis-type in Katsouranis and Basinas, but neither had the same energy levels by the time their brains began to react quicker than their feet. Just like Italy no longer has a Pirlo, we no longer have a Zagorakis and so we must adjust.

Tachtsidis is a very good player. Powerfully built, technically gifted; however, he lacks the qualities of holding the ball. He has concentration issues which are very evident when he tamely giveaway possession or fails to properly clear the ball/mark his man (something that occurs simultaneously with him). He's no Pirlo. He's adventurous and creative with his passing, and far too direct for the patient approach that Pirlo came to define. He's really a 10, in the sense Ballack was, and the only way to accommodate him would be to force Fortounis into a false 9 role. I think Fortounis is needed for his set-pieces and given his form. Still Fortounis lacks the fitness to compete beyond 70 minutes and it may prove smarter to play him off the bench, towards crunch time where his qualities we likely be needed the most.

Our approach must be very direct and we must look to capitalize on mistakes. To capitalize on mistakes, we must press and force mistakes. To force defensive errors, we need a high defensive line so that we press the opponents into their half. That means players who chase and run after the ball tirelessly. That means three men at the back who can more easily maintain an offside trap and who can afford to play higher up, athletic defenders like Manolas.

Against weaker opponents, we may need a little extra quality on the pitch and so a more balanced midfield, with Samaris or Tachtsidis in the CM role (dropping Kourbelis, Siopis, or Galanopoulos), would be the smarter approach, but against equal or better opponents, like Bosnia and Italy, Greece will need to take on a more defensive, high-energy approach. A second defensive midfielder is needed (Zeca plus one). We have to outrun our opponents and take on a direct approach in attack. We need keep it tight higher up the pitch, not just in front our goal.

Comment

Great analysis. I like how you think that Tachtsidis is a 10 but to me I’ve always wanted him to be like that Pirlo type of player. That deep lying playmaker. I think he is smart enough on the field but lacks in concentration and speed as you said. Not highly energetic also which is an issue. But it should do no harm by playing 2 really energetic type players in front of him like Siopis and Zeca to do all the pressing higher up the pitch and tracking back. Fortounis can be the false 9 dropping in and also getting in behind the defence. This would be a 4-3-3 with a false 9.

We don’t have enough skillful or technically gifted players in the middle to keep hold of possession but with Fortounis as false 9 he can help that part of our game, but not that much though. Pressing higher up the pitch and forcing a mistake is the way to go. I also agree we need that quality player against weaker opponents because we need to have someone to create something and put them out of the game when needed. Tachtsidis can be that player and so can Fetfatzidis. If these players can get back on track on a consistent basis in their careers then we will have 2 go to guys for creating or even scoring a goal.

I believe Samaris can be dangerous if he was the player higher up than the 6. He has this confidence about him as a player which is benefical to our midfield. Siopis can be an 8 and run all day. I would hope one day Bouzoukis can be in that role as an 8 as he has all the tools especially in the modern game where the transition with the ball has to be quick from to defence to attack and he can be the one to do it as he is good technically and has great vision. You have to be fast physically and mentally in the modern game because the sport has adapted and is continuing. Slowly we will see the likes of slow midfielders like Samaris, Tachtsidis and Bouchalakis get fazed out of teams with more energetic and faster players in CM.

Comment

Vlahodimos
                              Bakakis---Sokratis---Siovas---Koutris
                              Mantalos---Samaris--Zeca
                              Fortounis---Donis
                              Mitroglou

Given our options with this squad, I'd go with the above. It's a Christmas tree 4-3-2-1 formation.

However, with that said, it's evident Anastasiadis plans to play a 4-2-3-1. I don't think it's a good approach to play Bakasetas, Donis, or Masouras as wingers who track back. Also our wing-backs are too weak to handle defensive pressures. To rely on Bakasetas, Masouras or Donis for assistance to track back and cover won't work.

It makes more sense to play Zeca and Mantalos deeper in the midfield where they can double up the wing-backs, instead of tracking back opposing wing-backs, and to have Samaris drop into CB. This shores up the wide areas of our defense. We need to allow Sokratis to step out of the CB position and to press opponents higher up. Sokratis and Zeca are the most effective pressers in this squad. To win possession, we need them to do the heavy lifting.

Samaris would act effectively as a center-half (a sort of libero in front of the defense) and drop back into defense when we gain possession, allowing Koutris and Bakakis to step forward and widen the pitch.

When possession is won, we have two options. On counters, we need to feed the ball to Donis and Koutris to drive it forward. On build-ups, we should try to work it through Mantalos and Fortounis.

I don't think Mitroglou will prove to be much of a threat and his hold-up play may not have much to offer anymore either. We need to try combination plays between Fortounis, Donis, and to some extent Mantalos in order to really carve chances out. Fortounis and Donis are the likeliest candidates we have to produce a goal of their own making. Realistically, our real threat will be from set-pieces. Donis winning it in a dangerous area, Fortounis providing delivery, and Sokratis heading it in. That sort of approach would be our best bet to get a goal.
                              Last edited by Don Giovanni; 03-18-2019, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Your missing one player on the lineup ^^

Masouras as RW I assume?

Comment

Working...
                                X