Suggested Call Ups/Starting 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just saw the full match replay of Paderborn vs Bayern. This match happened a few weeks ago and I thought I’d watch and analyse what Vasiliadis is about. I think he has a place in our team. He is of similar stature to Siopis. Very good technically, seems smart and plays 1-2 touch football. He likes to vary his game aswell. He is very brave and has good energy about him. The only problem i have with him in this game was that he didn’t get involved as much and wasn’t on the ball a lot. But when he was he looked liked he knows what to do with it. He is still young and promising as this is a big step for him to play in the bundesliga but he seems to be very reliable as he has been starting for this team nearly every week. The team is not doing so well.

I think he can add something different to our midfield. As I said he seems smart and assured of himself. He is only 21 but I still need to see more of him to make a final judgement. He has something.

The other problem i have is short midfielders. I think there is more dominance in having a more taller and solid CM. Unless your like Kante who runs everywhere and wins possession nearly all the time. I think by having Vasiliadis in midfield we are at a disadvantage for contesting high balls. That’s where Bouchalakis comes in. But in terms of on the ball quality I think he can add something different and it would be beneficial for Greece to have him as an option. He has good positioning though and is tidy on the ball. Slightly better than Siopis I think because he has learned and developed in Germany. Still not sure though if I rate him way above than what we have. But still a great option to have in my opinion.

Comment

• Just to get back on the subject about central midfielders here is a video with Roy Keane. He was asked who was his best CM partner and also if today’s midfielders are as good as they were back in the day. He says these days players midfielders are probably getting instructed too much where as back then you would have to do many different roles and losing the ball was criminal back then. Interesting discussion as big team like Bayern, Barca, Real, Man Utd, Liverpool and other big clubs don’t have the same quality of central midfielders as they did back in the day.

https://youtu.be/Hwdnhy_eiEg
      Last edited by Dean97; 10-25-2019, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Good video. I'm not surprised he said Scholes was the best midfielder he played with.

I was reading an interview with Shevchenko in World Soccer, and he summarized very much the same thought about the changes since his playing days. He said,

The demands are different. Intelligence on the pitch has become a lot more important today. Of course, technique and physicality are still key, but intelligence--understanding and reading situations, understanding different positions, the different tactical phases of the game when a coach changes something--is crucial.
        He also said,

Modern football requires a lot more from players in particular from midfielders and wingers. [...] In the modern game, you can't just cover one specific position. A player needs to know a lot of positions and a lot of tactical skills. [...] A modern player needs to understand the tactical changes during the game. That requires a lot more intelligence from the players.
        I think he means more the flexibility and fluidity of the game has changed. A modern footballer has to be intelligent enough to play in a fluid system and role. That's been with us for a long time, but it has taken on more significance. Recently, Thiago Motta became coach of Genoa and he said he wants to play a 2-7-2 system with the goalkeeper considered a midfielder. In other words, goalkeepers need to be as good on the ball as your midfielders. he would still play two proper defenders and two proper forwards, but everyone else has the skill set of a midfielder.

As far as midfielders go, I'd say clubs don't invest in developing their own like they once did. It's harder to develop players nowadays. Everyone has to go on loan or go elsewhere first to develop. In the 90s and 80s, that almost never happened. That United team, including Scholes, were mostly United youth players. Pogba too came through United's youth team, but he went to Juventus in order to play first team football. He should have been there Cesc Fabregas, but he's not. If there was one significant change, that's the big one for me. Certainly for this reason team's lack proper identity in the middle. A lot of teams don't have the heart and soul they once did, everyone now just comes and goes.

Comment

• It looks like Sokratis and Manolas still have a place in Van't Schip's plans.

Samaris may have a hard time getting back into the team. Given the competition for places, plus the fact that he's now fallen down the pecking order at Benfica, has made it difficult for him. He'll need to prove himself all over again at Benfica.

Another player abroad might be on the chopping block too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Giovanni View Post
            It looks like Sokratis and Manolas still have a place in Van't Schip's plans.

Samaris may have a hard time getting back into the team. Given the competition for places, plus the fact that he's now fallen down the pecking order at Benfica, has made it difficult for him. He'll need to prove himself all over again at Benfica.

Another player abroad might be on the chopping block too.
            JVS said that Sokratis and Manolas won’t be chosen in the next games. He said he will be giving new players a chance. But it doesn’t mean he has frozen them out. Sokratis has stayed in the last if w edit make the Euros then he will retire. Interesting to see what happens.

As for Samaris, we can do without him for now and probably it’s better to leave him out with Galanopoulos and Kourbelis playing good games. Also Vasiliadis seems to be on JVS’s radar.

Whose the other player your talking about? Tachtsidis?

Comment

• This was mentioned in Sport Day. I think that Van't Schip will call Sokratis and Manolas back for our final two qualifiers. It's not entirely clear. Bear in mind, Van't Schip is testing a new system and identity of play with Greece, meaning Sokratis and Manolas will need time on the training ground to better understand it.

The report suggest Samaris will be left out again, that much is certain, and that another starter who plays abroad will be left out too. They don't say who other than he plays abroad. It could be Siovas who will be cut for the next two matches. His club are currently last place in La Liga. Also he didn't play against Bosnia recently despite being in the squad. The fact Stafylidis started instead was a shocker. If I had to guess, it's him. Another might be Mitroglou who is still recovering to full fitness. We'll see soon enough, but Samaris and at least another one of our more established players will be left out of the next squad.

Tachtsidis hasn't been in the plans of the Ethniki since the Skibbe era, but he's under 30 years old and he is playing regularly in the Series A. He played the whole game yesterday in Lecce's 1-1 draw with Juventus. It was his cross deliberately played into bodies that won the penalty which put Lecce on even terms.

Comment

Good video. I'm not surprised he said Scholes was the best midfielder he played with.

I was reading an interview with Shevchenko in World Soccer, and he summarized very much the same thought about the changes since his playing days. He said,

He also said,

I think he means more the flexibility and fluidity of the game has changed. A modern footballer has to be intelligent enough to play in a fluid system and role. That's been with us for a long time, but it has taken on more significance. Recently, Thiago Motta became coach of Genoa and he said he wants to play a 2-7-2 system with the goalkeeper considered a midfielder. In other words, goalkeepers need to be as good on the ball as your midfielders. he would still play two proper defenders and two proper forwards, but everyone else has the skill set of a midfielder.

As far as midfielders go, I'd say clubs don't invest in developing their own like they once did. It's harder to develop players nowadays. Everyone has to go on loan or go elsewhere first to develop. In the 90s and 80s, that almost never happened. That United team, including Scholes, were mostly United youth players. Pogba too came through United's youth team, but he went to Juventus in order to play first team football. He should have been there Cesc Fabregas, but he's not. If there was one significant change, that's the big one for me. Certainly for this reason team's lack proper identity in the middle. A lot of teams don't have the heart and soul they once did, everyone now just comes and goes.
                I definitely agree with this post. I also think these days the game has changed where you see more wingbacks on the team than fullbacks. As an example look at Greece’s options at LB. Stafylidis, Koutris, Giannoulis, Tsimikas and even Holebas are all wingbacks. They are better at attacking than they are at defending. Same at RB. Kitsiou and Bakakis are better in attack than defensively. Obviously some are slightly better at defending than others but all these players are better going forward. That’s why players like Bakakis and Stafylidis aren’t that solid defensively, it’s because they are more wingbacks than fullbacks and the midfielders would have to go in their spot when they are attacking down the line.

Lykogiannis is more of a fullback who is a much better defender than he is an attacker. Also look at the top teams. Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real etc they all have good attacking wingbacks.

For Greece I think Torosidis and Seitaridis were good in both the attacking duties and defensive duties on there day. Holebas in time got much better defensively. These days there is more importance in the fullback attacking and therefore be a wingback instead of a fullback.

Even if Greece have Retsos and Lykogiannis as fullbacks as an example they still need to contribute in attack but are more known to be solid defensively. The wingbacks or fullbacks still needs help from the wingers to track back and put pressure on the player with the ball.

When I saw Lykogiannis play at LB for Greece he was very solid. He was like a wall on that left hand side and the opposition couldn’t get past. A player that should be given another shot as he did very well in the games he played for Greece. I remember when Tzavellas controversially started in a nations league game and was at fault for like 2 goals. Then at half time got subbed for his poor performance and Lykogiannis came on and we looked more solid defensively. Especially on that left side.
                Last edited by Dean97; 10-28-2019, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• Let's see how Stafylidis progresses. It would seem Van't Schip intends to use Stafylidis in a versatile role and views him as potential captain material down the road.

I read Siovas won't play for Leganes on Wednesday against Real Madrid. He was subbed out due to an injury yesterday in his team's only win so far this season.

Comment

This was mentioned in Sport Day. I think that Van't Schip will call Sokratis and Manolas back for our final two qualifiers. It's not entirely clear. Bear in mind, Van't Schip is testing a new system and identity of play with Greece, meaning Sokratis and Manolas will need time on the training ground to better understand it.

The report suggest Samaris will be left out again, that much is certain, and that another starter who plays abroad will be left out too. They don't say who other than he plays abroad. It could be Siovas who will be cut for the next two matches. His club are currently last place in La Liga. Also he didn't play against Bosnia recently despite being in the squad. The fact Stafylidis started instead was a shocker. If I had to guess, it's him. Another might be Mitroglou who is still recovering to full fitness. We'll see soon enough, but Samaris and at least another one of our more established players will be left out of the next squad.

Tachtsidis hasn't been in the plans of the Ethniki since the Skibbe era, but he's under 30 years old and he is playing regularly in the Series A. He played the whole game yesterday in Lecce's 1-1 draw with Juventus. It was his cross deliberately played into bodies that won the penalty which put Lecce on even terms.
                    I remember him saying in a press conference recently that Sokratis and Manolas will not be called up in the last 2 matches. Maybe he changed his mind. Regarding Tachtsidis I don’t think he works hard enough to be called up. He is too limited but I will say he has done more for the NT than Samaris and they both play the same roles for their clubs. Tachtsidis is naturally gifted but isn’t willing to progress. He starts for Leece mostly because he has had natural ability and he does well in training. But he hasn’t improved in the areas he should have.

I think the ship has sailed with Tachtsidis in the NT. The same can be said about Samaris.

Comment

• Tachtsidis reminds me a lot of Tziolis, but he's more naturally gifted and physically bigger. If he can stay in Italy and plays consistently in Series A, I don't see why he can't play for Greece. Likewise Samaris, if he can play at Benfica, there's no reason he can't play for Greece.

Comment

• I doubt Samaris will be at Benfica for long. They are both ordinary, lets face it, both were given a massive opportunity through Euro 16 & WC 18 qualifiers, more so Euro 16, we all know what happened. Samaris is painful to watch now days and has cost us so much. Enough is enough

Comment

• We were saying the same thing about Stafylidis and Bakasetas not too long ago.

The right-back and left-back positions, and our central midfield are the general problem areas with Greece. I don't consider the new names being brought into consideration any better. Even Bouchalakis has been poor for Greece to date. Kourbelis has only had one solid performance to really speak of. Galanopoulos has barely played. Zeca has his limitations and strengths. We're far from settled in this area of the pitch. We need to try different things and give players chances to prove themselves. They may surprise us, as we saw with Stafylidis.

I'm not a great fan of Bakasetas either, yet his form in Turkey and his ability to play as a false nine has won Van't Schip over for now. I think the dalliance with Bakasetas ends once Fortounis is back. Likely Vrousaj will take Bakasetas' place as the back-up, although I'm no fan of his either. If not for Fortounis, we'd have problems if we depended on those other two.

The wing-backs remain a major issue. We're stuck with Bakakis by virtue of the fact we have so few options available to us at right-back. If it were up to me, I'd rather we adopt some sort of hybrid formation involving three CBs (a system that can easily adopt a back four), dropping Bakakis, letting Hatzdiakos or Retsos play as the extra central defender and letting Limnios play as an inverted right-winger. Either one of the CBs, DMs, or Limnios could fill at right-back depending on the circumstances, conversely Stafylidis or one of the CBs at left-back. I would hate to see one of our quality CBs sit on the bench only for Bakakis to start. Bakakis is not good enough. Even Stafylidis can't defend. It showed on the goal Bosnia scored recently. He's not a proper left-back. At left-midfield, he'd be more useful. Arguably we have better than him, like Koutris. Tsimikas seems much more capable of playing as an actual left-back too.

The big positives so far under Van't Schip has been the return of defensive organization, the emergence of a proper system to play passes out of the back (not the sideways lunacy we accustomed ourselves to for so long), and the high press. As far as personnel goes, the emergence of Hatzidiakos, Pavlidis, and Limnios has bled new life into Greece. Retsos, Galanopoulos, and possibly Vasiliadis may fit into the conversation soon enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
                            I doubt Samaris will be at Benfica for long. They are both ordinary, lets face it, both were given a massive opportunity through Euro 16 & WC 18 qualifiers, more so Euro 16, we all know what happened. Samaris is painful to watch now days and has cost us so much. Enough is enough
                            Katsouranis was only 29 when he left Benfica for a return to Greece. Samaris almost left Benfica last season for the EPL and then suddenly became a key player. Let's see how things go because I think there is a way to make Samaris work as an option for us, likely with a role from the bench, but for now he has to focus on winning his place back into the Benfica eleven. I think Tachtsidis may emerge as a key player for us one day. He did well against Juventus. The pass he played into the box was deliberately played through bodies, hoping for lucky a bounce to sneak by and maybe produce a scoring chance. Ultimately it found an arm to produce a penalty kick. He's a good player. We're dying for a player in the middle who can play passes like he can. The only other player we have like him is Bouchalakis and the fact is we need more from him too. He's not playing with the authority he ought to, that I think he's capable of.

Comment

• Retsos looked completely stable when he played RB for Olympiacos and Hellas.

Comment

• Retsos played right-back and then left-back over the two legs against Croatia. He looked formidable in defense, but somewhat limited when getting forward. I think both he and Hatzidiakos are competing for a spot in a back three, if not a right-back spot in a back four, but Bakakis does have more quality in the attacking third than they do (albeit nothing spectacular enough to convince me of his place in the eleven). I think Limnios offers the best attacking width on the right of any player in Greece's disposal, enough to justify him playing as an inverted winger (like Robben did for the Dutch when they played a back three). So long as Van't Schip moves in that sort of direction, which means Sokratis and Manolas would start as well, I'll be a very happy. I think leaving any of Sokratis, Manolas, and/or Retsos/Hatzidiakos on the bench, while allowing Bakakis to start is a mistake.

We might qualify for the World Cup in 2022, which remains a difficult prospect, or at least play some decent football in the process and develop a side capable of competing for Euro 2024, which is more realistic.

Comment

Working...
                                X