• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
    No sarcasm just spell check lol

I mean to write “try out” not sure why it wrote outside
    All good my friend

Comment

• What’s up guys. Looking forward to the start of the nations League, it’s unfortunate we couldn’t play those friendless in March and June as it would have been nice to see how we Matched up against those teams especially since we started playing with some confidence and won 3 in a row to end another failed campaign..

Comment

• The lack of experience kind of scares me, but at least Greece is playing with desire again. Van't Schip is instilling a sense of real football into the team, no more of the hot potato nonsense we had grown accustomed to, but I still think up front the team lacks quality to create and finish chances. It will be hard to justify this style of play if chances aren't converted. It's why Rehhagel reverted to a much more defensive approach after the losses to Spain and Ukraine early in Euro qualifying, emphasizing clean sheets and conservatism in attack. Given the goals the boys scored under van't Schip so far, the team relies too heavily on determination.

If Greece had started the campaign with van't Schip, we would be rooting for our guys at the Euros next summer. Qualifying for the world cup is a tall order. Also, as far as the Nations League goes, Slovenia and Kosovo aren't going to be pushovers.

I'm not sure what UEFA will do now with the Nations League. Last I heard we will only play three games, so only once against each opponent probably behind closed doors.

Comment

• I agree Don, we need to do better with our chances. This has always been a problem with us. Regarding experience, we haven’t gotten anywhere with Sokratis, Mitroglou, Samaris and so on. I would still like to see Manolas because he is at his peak at the moment and I believe he can really helps us a the back. I would like to see Fortounis but not as a starter.

The likes of Pavlidis, Hatzidiakos and Galanopoulos are only going to get better under JVS. The problem I have is that I don’t think Bakasetas and also Stafylidis are starters. For one Stafylidis isn’t a CB and has been chosen captain. Bakasetas isn’t our best number 10 in my opinion. I would’ve preferred to see Pelkas there since we didn’t have Fortounis due to injury and JVS wanting to put Mantalos on the left. But I must give a bit of credit to Stafylidis and Bakasetas for there work ethic and attitude when representing Greece. They both worked very hard and that’s what it takes if you want to win. But I still stand by opinion as we do have better players than them in the positions they play.

Mavropanos is wanted by many Bundesliga teams and Arsenal want to play him when he comes back. He has a decision to make as he can and will become a starter for Greece for many years.

Comment

• Also a big welcome to our newest member @Jsoul

Comment

• Personally I think Fortounis should thrive under JVS and his style of play, in the past he only had Mitro to feed the ball to and it was very predictable and easy to defend against. We never had speed like we do know and we didn’t play a high tempo game with good ball movement. We have created a lot of chances in the last few games under JVS but we need to capitalize on more of our chances. My problem with Fortounis was he would disappear for long stretches and seem disinterested at times. Now with the change of players and system he may be a huge part of any success this team has.

Comment

• All good points. But what if van't Schip wants to build around Vrousaj? Even Olympiacos may look to bring him back from loan soon enough.

Comment

• Fortounis should thrive under this new system. But I question his work ethic. Don you said what if JVS wants to build around Vrousai, what about if he wants to build around Bakasetas?? Which is even worse. Both are not at the same level as Fortounis. But I do think JVS wants a hardworking number 10 that runs and gives it his all. I personally would’ve liked to see Pelkas given that opportunity as he is faster and slightly better than Vrousai and Bakasetas at CAM.

Comment

• Yes his work ethic is in question but if we are looking for a skilled number 10 then I think Fortounis is much better then Vrousai and Pelkas.. Fortounis doesn't have to be fast as long as he has fast players around him as he can thread passes and open up a lot space as he will require more attention from opposing players which will finally give him options to make some great plays. Something we were missing in the past. I hope Bakasetas is not consistently used as we have better options.

Comment

• Well Pelkas has fallen somewhat out of favor at PAOK. In the recent loss to OSFP, he didn't start. And Fortounis too came on from the bench. Both players have strained relations with management.

Bakasetas surprised me, but he only won his place after Anastasiadis' favorite Kolovos performed dismally and after Vrousaj had been injured (although he performed just as badly). He could very well keep his place for the foreseeable future, but Vrousaj seems to be the player van't Schip wants because I think he believes both he and Pavlidis would make for the best combination up front.

Time will tell, for all we know Fountas could replace Pavlidis or Fortounis really turns it on again and Greece plays a strikerless system, like Anastasiadis did against Italy.

Comment

• Vrousai? Not yet, he showed he is not ready when given two starts under JVS, with Fortounis, Mantalos and Bakasetas doing well, we have others to focus on, plus Pelkas although he has struggled at NT level.

Comment

• On a side note has the NT picked a home stadium yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jsoul View Post
                            On a side note has the NT picked a home stadium yet?
                            I haven’t seen anything come up in the news but I do remember reading how Aris stadium could be an option and Apollon Symrnis as another...

Comment

• I thought the they were are going back to Kariaskaki for the time being - the Cretan stadium is not up to international standards and construction has made no progress.

Comment

• It will need to be Karaiskakis or OAKA now because of the coronavirus. They were looking at different places. The Pankritio stadium in Iraklio, Crete was top of the list, but it needed structural improvements.

Comment

Working...
                                X