• Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	CAF0F394-9D0B-4768-8522-EE00A5E624F4.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	11668

Comment

• Retsos has not played a decent amount of football for nearly 2 seasons now, kids got potential for sure but he needs to show some form.

I don’t mind that although Limnios’s only position is on the wing were his speed is effective

Comment

• Originally posted by Amorgos View Post
        Retsos has not played a decent amount of football for nearly 2 seasons now, kids got potential for sure but he needs to show some form.

I don’t mind that although Limnios’s only position is on the wing were his speed is effective
        This was more of a future line up. We could see this line up happening in the future with everything hopefully turning out positively for some of our players like Retsos.

Comment

• I think Retsos should find playing time this upcoming season since it appears likely he will return on loan to Olympiacos now that Semedo has joined Porto.
          Ειδησεις - Παναγιώτης Ρέτσος Ολυμπιακός: Η ομάδα του Πειραιά δεν βλέπει με αρνητικό μάτι το ενδεχόμενο να επιστρέψει ο νεαρός στην ομάδα.

Comment

• Retsos has been linked to Olympiakos on loan. I don’t think Semedo is leaving but if he is then Retsos will come in. I think we could use a player like Retsos. Shows a lot of composure and can play many positions. He gives it his all on the pitch aswell. I do believe we have a lot of CBs though so it could be a waste to just play him there. Maybe he should play RB or CDM for Greece like he does for the u21s.

Hopefully he gets lots of playing time wherever he is at as the national team could use him.

I also do hope we see Giannis Masouras and Vagiannidis excel this season coming up because we could do with some good competition at RB. With Bakakis, Retsos and possibly Baldock coming in we will have 5 RBs competing for one spot.
            Last edited by Dean97; 08-15-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Don Giovanni
              Don Giovanni commented
              Editing a comment
              You're right on Semedo, he has not left yet and may stay at Olympiacos.

• well, considering this a rebuild on top of half a rebuild...on top of the great quitters of the class of 2014.

i'd invert the 3 CMs, and playing mandalos wide to fit bakaseta is counterproductive. you just weakened the left side when the right side is probably the most optimal we have.

if we're going with youth - i'd think a more pleasurable headache is sorting out the puzzle of the tridente of a 4-3-3. let donis, limnios, masouras fight out the wide areas and go with form for the CF. ok, so donis and koulouris need more matches...but, we're playing slovenia and kosovo. why bang your head with mandalos on the wing because you want to fit bakasetas in the 11? this is otto with xaristea and santos with salpi all over again.

if it was a money match, i'd have played donis left and limnios right. zeca behind mandalos and fortounis. i'd also have a different CB than svarnas. we have better than svarnas and siovas combo.

Comment

• Originally posted by aek66 View Post
              well, considering this a rebuild on top of half a rebuild...on top of the great quitters of the class of 2014.

i'd invert the 3 CMs, and playing mandalos wide to fit bakaseta is counterproductive. you just weakened the left side when the right side is probably the most optimal we have.

if we're going with youth - i'd think a more pleasurable headache is sorting out the puzzle of the tridente of a 4-3-3. let donis, limnios, masouras fight out the wide areas and go with form for the CF. ok, so donis and koulouris need more matches...but, we're playing slovenia and kosovo. why bang your head with mandalos on the wing because you want to fit bakasetas in the 11? this is otto with xaristea and santos with salpi all over again.

if it was a money match, i'd have played donis left and limnios right. zeca behind mandalos and fortounis. i'd also have a different CB than svarnas. we have better than svarnas and siovas combo.
              I agree Mantalos on the wing doesn’t work. Don’t get me wrong he is a good player but his decision making worsens when he plays out wide. I saw him get the ball through the middle and it was a breath of fresh air to see him carry the ball the way he did. He gave us great momentum going forward and more it was more threatening. Zeca, Kourbelis, Bakasetas aren’t capable of what I just mentioned. They are either technically bad or slow.

I think in future and with playing time Donis or Fetfatzidis have to be the left winger. I was impressed with Giannoulis going forward maybe he can be an option there with Tsimikas playing LB. I ultimately think we should go with a 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2. We need players in the box. Kourbelis and Zeca are very defensive. The tactics Van’t Schip has implemented has seen the CMs get limited touches on the ball. Sort of bypasses the mids straight to the attackers.

He needs to rethink starting Bakasetas. Fortounis, Fetfa or Mantalos is needed in his position I think. I didn’t think Bakasetas played bad but I think we need someone more skillful with the ball in his place.

Limnios is great. Fast, skillful and can take on players. We need someone else to do the same on the left. Someone similar like Donis or Fetfa.

Svarnas and Siovas were the only options available. Retsos hasn’t played, Mavropanos is slightly injured, Hatzidiakos still recovering, Manolas and Sokratis are still being excluded.
              Last edited by Dean97; 09-04-2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• This guy Rota - why no 's' on the end of his name?

Comment

• Don Giovanni
                  Don Giovanni commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He's Albanian born in Greece.

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                This guy Rota - why no 's' on the end of his name?
                Same reason Panagiotis Kone has no "s" - also albanian.

Comment

• Lazaros Rota:

https://www.gazzetta.gr/football/ell...ki-o-fant-ship

Ο αλβανικής καταγωγής δεξιός μπακ (μπορεί επίσης να αγωνιστεί ως στόπερ αλλά και αμυντικός μέσος), Λάζαρος Ρότα γεννήθηκε στις 23 Αυγούστου 1997 στην Κατερίνη και ξεκίνησε την καριέρα του από την Β΄ ομάδα του Ηρακλή. Συνέχισε στην Σλαβόι Τρέμπισοφ (ομάδα Β΄ κατηγορίας της Σλοβακίας), ενώ έπαιξε επαγγελματικό ποδόσφαιρο στην επίσης σλοβακική Ζέμπλιν Μιχάλοβτσε.

Comment

• As far as the left-wing goes, I think van't Schip will eventually play Giannoulis further up in a left-wing role and Tsimikas at left-back. It will be impossible to justify the exclusion of a Greek player competing for a place at arguably the world's best football club. With the way Giannoulis played against Slovenia, that was definitely the impression I was left with and he's a perfect fit opposite to Limnios, with whom he has an excellent understanding. Donis at this point will be seen more as backup to Limnios. The same applies to Masouras on the opposite wing.

Mantalos is definitely a soldier for van't Schip, some who helps to set the tone and standard for what the coach wants from his players. There is a chance he may be repurposed as a central midfielder. Against Slovenia he did drop into the central midfield quite often when Kourbelis was himself adopted into the back line. Zeca and Kourbelis aren't good enough to connect defense to attack, and truth be told Mantalos too struggled with this due to his limited passing range. We need someone who can play 30-40 yard passes in the middle of the pitch otherwise we will become very stale in possession, something we did see a bit against Slovenia.

Comment

• The central midfield remains a problem area. Kourbelis has a poor touch, he looked indecisive and some of his decision making, like a shot he took from distance against Kosovo that was blocked (while, Zeca presented with a better opportunity simply passed the ball) and then used by Kosovo to counter, makes me question what goes on in his head. He must improve, but it may be best he play as a center-back, not a midfielder. I like Zeca. So much energy and he can be classy at times, but a limited player in many respects. This area of the pitch has to do better.

Bakakis, although not ideal, is proving to be serviceable. Van't Schip has given him confidence and at least now he's defending better. Granted he's not the most graceful of defenders, but his pace and determination make up for what he lacks defensively. There may be hope yet if Bakakis can follow the examples of other players like Tsimikas and Giannoulis. They share a lot of similar characteristics, but Bakakis is older and time is not on his side. We've seen it before with players like Holebas who came in and did poorly, despite being older, and he eventually proved to be exceptional.

I liked the look of Svarnas in some cases. He played offside traps and he was strong enough to contain Nuhiu a little, but he wasn't as good as Kapsis was against Koller. He has some way to go to become the defender we need.

Stafylidis is a good player, but I don't think he's center-back. We can maybe get away with him if we play three center-backs and have an extra man as cover, but to otherwise is close to criminal. He would do better in the midfield I believe. He shares many similar characteristics to Zagorakis and if allowed to develop into such a player he may excel to become one of our best. And given our central midfield options, I see little harm in trying him out. At center-back, he's going to be at fault for persistent errors. When we play him at center-back, we go into the game accepting the fact we have to score more than one goal to win.

Thank goodness Siovas got on the pitch. He made up for his miss against Slovenia with a great swivel-and-turn goal against Kosovo. His touch got away from him a bit and perhaps was a little lucky with the finish, but it was a brilliant goal. Beyond that, he was confident and calm in defense. That experience, confidence and calmness was exuberated to others too. His presence and goal made all the difference against Kosovo.
                      Last edited by Don Giovanni; 09-07-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Old man Chiellini is starting for Italy at left center-back. Holland are getting heavily outplayed. Hateboer in particular is having a really bad game. He's not getting into challenges, conceding space and balls to opponents, giving all sorts of room for Italy to operate down their left flank. Bakakis by comparison looks a better player. Granted though, Bakakis would never score two goals in the latter stages of the UCL like Hateboar has, but he can defend better than this guy.

Comment

• 100% Don

Comment

• Salpingidis wasn't a great winger either. I don't think any of us would consider us fans of his wing play, but he provided that perfect assist to Samaras against Germany and he scored enough crucial goals to justify his place.

I don't quite believe Bakakis will have a similar impact, but he's not the liability he was and he's not frustrating his teammates like before.

Kourbelis was not good enough in the past two games. He did well to reduce passing lanes, but he struggled a lot. I don't think Kourbelis should continue as a first-choice midfielder. No doubts Galanopoulos would win his place back at Kourbelis expense.

Fortounis too was a disappointment. He really can't defend nor press opponents. For all his guile and ability, it's simply not exceptional enough to make the sort of difference that at times gave Tsartas the freedom he needed against quality teams where we needed 11 men behind the ball. Fortounis is very much a bench option as things stand.

In saying that, players like Mantalos, Bakasetas, etc, are not skillful enough. We don't have anyone on the pitch who can really hit free-kicks with real quality. Greece doesn't look like a threat from set-pieces. So it is up to Fortounis to really push himself and to live up to the standards set by Mantalos and Bakasetas if he's to win his place back. It is there for the taking. There is a possibility that player could be Vrousaj and my guess is that van't Schip does have a bit of a soft spot for him. Maybe Limnios continues to develop into a big star and prove that difference. We shall see.

Comment

Working...
                            X