Suggested Call Ups/Starting 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post
    Just out of interest, this injury is the same one Mantalos got and he was never the same player after.
    True Reaper. I think Mantalos got injured twice the same way I think. Either on the same knee or the other. It’s very hard to come back from a knee injury. Especially that severe. K.Papdopoulos had it and so did Ninis if I’m not mistaken.

Comment

• http://www.novasports.gr/podosfairo/...n-fotografies/

ACL injuries have affected Mantalos, Lazaros, Kolovos, Ninis, and now Fortounis, among others. Avraam Papadopoulos never recovered to become the same player after his ruptured ligament injury at Euro 2012 (I think his was an ACL). Ninis and Mantalos also notably slowed down after their return from torn ACLs--neither plays with the same intensity, pace, and acceleration they showed prior to those injuries.

Bakakis had a torn ACL, but he recovered well. AEK has had many ACL injuries recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm..._acl_injuries/

I'm not sure of the nature of Kyriakos' knee problems. It's unclear if he tore/ruptured his ACL. I know he had a MCL injury that ruled him out for a couple of weeks, but his knee problems might not be ligament related. I know his left knee has undergone the most surgery of the two knees. He has also had issues with his shoulder.

Retsos had a tendon injury in the back of his thigh.

Comment

• Tendons heal well, just take ages. Know that from my own football injury.

Comment

• This has me excited lol.
          Last edited by Dean97; 07-17-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Mantalos’s pre season from has been really good, as long as this does not lead to injury I would put him for Fortounis.

Haven’t seen Pelkas

Comment

• Mantalos showed good awareness on that goal against Volos. Let's hope he regains some of that intensity he used to have. That was his real asset. The intense energy and verve he played with was what unsettled a lot of defenses, more so than any of his other qualities.

I've never been a fan of Mantalos on set-pieces. I don't know if his deliveries are better now, but in the past when I used to pay more attention to him, the quality of his deliveries were at times wild and inconsistent. He ballooned a lot them because I think his range was weak. At least that's what I saw of him in the past. We need someone who has a lot of quality on those deliveries. I think the best option we have right now in that respect is Pelkas, who can score direct and hit them well from relatively far out.

The problem with Pelkas is that he still looks uncomfortable for Greece and it may take a lot of time before he properly settles in.

We don't have an obvious replacement right now for Fortounis unless maybe Pelkas can mature quickly enough and get over his anxieties.

If Mantalos can show enough form, I think he can be part of the conversation for the front three as a false nine, maybe as an #8 among the midfield three. As a dekari, there is a lot of competition for that role, but if we play two ACMs it might work. Both Mandalos and Pelkas don't shy away from pressing opponents and getting their shorts dirty. And for me, Mantalos can almost compliment any player. Chemistry with him comes easy. That's what I mean by his verve, but we still need to play him in a way that reflect his sensibilities. On the wings he's wasted.

Comment

• I think if Dellas gets the job, which at this point I'd rather him than the others linked to the job, then Mantalos will probably be one of his most trusted deputies and I'd expect him to play. I still think Pelkas will start because of his ability from set-pieces is second only to Fortounis among the players available for selection.

If Dellas becomes the manager, it will be interesting to see what system he uses. I know he has a preference for the 4-2-3-1. If he sticks Mantalos to the left-wing, his play will suffer. On the bright side, we might see Fetfatzidis on the right. We know Fetfatzidis can wreak havoc.

Comment

• Not a massive fan of Mantalos but it gives some sort of hope and assurance to hear that he is playing well. I’m more of a fan of Pelkas and I still stand by what I think of him. I believe he can be better than both Mantalos and Fortounis. I don’t know when but hopefully he proves it. I think Pelkas needs more maturing like Don said as I think he gets too anxious at times. It happens. I believe that’s Tsimikas problem aswell at LB. Tsimikas need to trust himself more because his biggest strength is bombing forward. He needs maturing aswell.

As for Pelkas he needs someone to give him instructions. He needs a mentor or someone to lift him up. In my opinion he is just under the level of Ninis and Fetfatzidis. What I’ve noticed about Pelkas is his main problem sometimes is his decision making. He also can’t play with Fortounis as I was hoping they would play well together. Mantalos and Fortounis combine better.

K. Papadopoulos is also needed he is very good in the box if not our best.

Comment

• I too think Pelkas has the sort of potential we've seen in players like Stelios and Karagounis, both of whom had reduced Tsartas to the bench for Greece. He could potentially do the same to Fortounis, should Pelkas ever make it abroad and do well. Right now, he's not ready to make that jump. He needs more experience.

Comment

• Pelkas is 25 now. He should be getting better and better. He should’ve left PAOK and gone abroad by now in my opinion. He needs to get his act together with Greece as I think he can do the job on the wing. I don’t know if he’s going to change and be better but hopefully he is getting some guidance. He scored a great goal just recently on the wing. Mantalos isn’t really suited for the wing. Hasn’t got enough pace. If he did then he could be useful there. Mantalos is an 8 or a 10. Pelkas can play 8,10 or out wide. He’s got the pace and energy to run and create. He is a better finisher than Fetfa but isn’t as skillful or technical. Pelkas can also play 1 touch and set up with 1 touch. We need to help him. Can become the 10 we all need. If we don’t want to acknowledge Ninis and Fetfatzidis ( I mean EPO and co.) than we need to put faith and time in Pelkas. I think we will see a better, more consistent and experienced Pelkas this season as there are plenty of other options he has to compete with. Also he isn’t going to be relied on a lot or overloaded with responsibility I think, like he was at the beginning of last season where he got burnt out after 2 months. For now he can be a good option off the bench, while Mantalos takes over from Fortounis.

Kourbelis is maturing nicely. This could be his best season to date. He isn’t that good technically but is becoming a shield for the defence. Bouchalakis looks like he has turned it up and is playing well. What Kourbelis, Bouchalakis and Pelkas need is a good 2 or 3 seasons abroad in a competitive league like Italy, Portugal or Germany to further sharpen the abilities they already have. Kourbelis will be better on the ball, Bouchalakis will better in positioning and Pelkas will make better decisions. Areas I believe they are not strong in. We are going to have to count on them to help bring up the new generation coming through and lead the way in positive results. Zeca and Samaris are in there early 30s and Tachtsidis is unreliable at the moment at 28.

If we want to build for the future than we need to be relying on players in their mid 20s and not players in their 30s. We need to starting putting a team together that will play with each other almost all the time for the next 5-10 years.

Comment

• Vlachodimos had an excellent game in the Super Cup final against Sporting. He was outstanding when called upon. Samaris didn't play however and wasn't on the bench.

Comment

• Vlachodimos is our best keeper. Paschalakis and Barkas are too inconsistent. Both are capable of having standout games but can be horrible in some other games. I don’t mind Barkas to be honest. Gianniotis and Dioudis are better and decent options to have behind Vlachodimos.

I really hope Bouchalakis gets called up and plays instead of Samaris. Like it wouldn’t be a massive improvement but Bouchalakis would definitely do more in attack.

Last edited by Dean97; 08-09-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• After this week:

........................................Vlacho.... .......................

Natsos/Toro..............Sok..............Manolas........ ....Tsimikas/Katranis

...............................Bouxa....... Kourbelis ......................

Fetfa..............................Mantalo........ .................Masouras

............................................. Koulouris .............................

Comment

• Vlachodimos plays at the highest level. He's the best with the ball at his feet. My only concern is that he looks a little unsettled with Greece.

Barkas and Paschalakis are consistent, but Paschalakis imploded against Benfica last season and that performance suggested he wasn't good enough to compete at a higher level. In Greece, he's excellent, but the level in Greece is low. Next week against Ajax, we'll see where he stands. I have doubts he belongs on the NT.

Barkas is a more proven keeper who has shown that he can compete at a higher level. He's the best keeper we have at claiming the ball in the air and he's very brave. Barkas will need to make the jump to a club abroad sooner rather than later. If he stays in Greece, his progress will stagnate. I would consider him Greece's number two keeper.

Gianniotis made a mistake in UCL qualifying for his club recently that proved to be a knockout blow. He needed to come out of his goal to claim the ball, but hesitated and was made to look silly trying to save from point blank. He's not ready to be a part of the NT.

Dioudis may become an option in the future. Realistically, his potential ceiling is the same one Karnezis had.

Kapinos is at Werder Bremen and may well become their number one keeper. I suspect he's the likeliest option who could force his way back into the NT in the next two seasons, probably at the expense of Paschalakis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                                After this week:

........................................Vlacho.... .......................

Natsos/Toro..............Sok..............Manolas........ ....Tsimikas/Katranis

...............................Bouxa....... Kourbelis ......................

Fetfa..............................Mantalo........ .................Masouras

............................................. Koulouris .............................
                                That’s the most logical line up. RB seems to be the biggest issue we have at the moment. Is Natsos good enough to start for Greece Reaper??

Comment

Working...
                                X